Baggage question

Old Aug 15, 12, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF Gold
Baggage question

Hi all,

Booked some tickets for my parents on AC for the first time (they live in Australia) to go from YUL-IAD and then IAD-YYC and finally YYC-YVR When booking, both flights mentioned that there will be a $25 checked baggage fee for the first bag for the first 2 sectors. I just wanted to ask if this fee has already been taken into account in the ticket price or whether they have to pay this fee when they are at the airport. Also, when they travel from IAD-YYC, this is via YYZ so I assume they will have to go through Canadian immigration and customs in YYZ first before boarding the flight to YYC? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mingster
Old Aug 15, 12, 5:18 am

Programs: A member of Generation "Y"
The baggage fee is not included in the ticket fee, so they will have to pay it at check-in if they are checking bags. They will clear customs in YYC.
Old Aug 15, 12, 8:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 View Post
The baggage fee is not included in the ticket fee, so they will have to pay it at check-in if they are checking bags. They will clear customs in YYC.

If IAD-YYC is indeed IAD-YYZ-YYC, then they will clear customs and immigration in Torono.
Old Aug 15, 12, 8:47 am
Original Poster

thanks LizzyDragon84 and IluvSQ!
Old Aug 15, 12, 9:21 am

Programs: A member of Generation "Y"
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 View Post

If IAD-YYC is indeed IAD-YYZ-YYC, then they will clear customs and immigration in Torono.
Oops, I meant YYZ. Thanks for the correction.
Old Aug 15, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Air Canada P25, United Silver, Accor Gold, Others on Rotation
Any flights between Canada and the US will have a $25 bag check fee.

Assuming the YYC-YVR is its own unique segment your parents will be able to each check one free complimentary bag for that leg. This is because of competition with WestJet.
Old Aug 15, 12, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CanadianConnection33. Yes they are on a separate segment as I booked all the segments separately. They are arriving on a JL flight into YVR but I've given them 3.5hrs to make the connection which hopefully is sufficient however is it worth me ringing Air Canada to see if they will interline their bags from JL to AC?
Old Aug 16, 12, 8:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mingster23 View Post
Thanks CanadianConnection33. Yes they are on a separate segment as I booked all the segments separately. They are arriving on a JL flight into YVR but I've given them 3.5hrs to make the connection which hopefully is sufficient however is it worth me ringing Air Canada to see if they will interline their bags from JL to AC?
Doesn"t matter since they will have to reclaim bags in YVR to clear
customs, then re-check anyway.
Old Aug 16, 12, 3:40 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Doesn"t matter since they will have to reclaim bags in YVR to clear
customs, then re-check anyway.
Matters a little. If interlined, no need to get the bags retagged. Just put them on the belt after Customs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: