Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hidden gems on AC's IFE this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Aside from our illustrious young maestro whose new DG album is running on the audio portion of AC's current IFE schedule there is another hidden gem worth catching.

When the Australians did their Olympics, the ABC put together a satirical series called "The Games" about the ineptitude of the organizing committee, in the vein of the classic "Yes Minister" and latterly "The Office". In honour of the UK/London Olympics, the BBC has produced a similar series about the mishaps of a branch of their organizing committee. There are several episodes of "Twenty Twelve" on the current TV section of AC's IFE. For those not flying this summer, you can catch two episodes a week on the Comedy Network, Sundays from 9p to 10:30p ET/PT.

AC has had some interesting teasers on the TV section of its IFE, particularly series we don't find on any of our networks. Years ago, I discovered "Burn Notice" about an exiled CIA agent cut adrift in Miami, and have managed to find it on a rogue TV channel out of NYC that's on my Rogers lineup. There have been lots of UK detective series, each with a couple of episodes to watch over the course of a 4-hour flight, including a modern day version of Sherlock Holmes. Another contemporary UK classic that still hasn't made it onto Canadian TV was a modern-day "Yes Minister" with X-rated language called "The Thick of It".

The problem is after a couple of episodes, one gets hooked on these shows and must resort to finding illicit copies on You Tube or Vimeo. Or if lucky, on subscription pay services like SuperChannel or Netflix.

If you've found something you quite enjoyed, post about it below.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.1; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Armando Iannucci (creator of "The Thick Of It") is a very, very talented guy. For those that may be unaware, he is also the brains behind HBO's "Veep". The latter pales in comparison to the former IMHO.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Years ago, I discovered "Burn Notice" about an exiled CIA agent cut adrift in Miami, and have managed to find it on a rogue TV channel out of NYC that's on my Rogers lineup.
First run episodes of Burn Notice air on Super Channel, and second run on Showcase (in addition to the syndicated episodes that you can find on certain US stations - WSBK, in particular, is available nationally on Bell).

Super Channel has a lot of great series and miniseries, from around the world. UK series like Skins & The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret; US cable shows such as Boss, Homeland, Justified, Portlandia & Onion News Network; and others from Australia and New Zealand. It's a much better value than Movie Central/TMN.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.1; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Armando Iannucci (creator of "The Thick Of It") is a very, very talented guy. For those that may be unaware, he is also the brains behind HBO's "Veep". The latter pales in comparison to the former IMHO.
Didn't want to embarrass him with that connection...even if "Veep" was nominated for an Emmy today, a most disappointing series. "Homeland" was a pretty good series on SuperChannel...but we're digressing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Aside from our illustrious young maestro whose new DG album is running on the audio portion of AC's current IFE schedule there is another hidden gem worth catching.
Just to confirm: The album can be found in the "Albums" -> "Classical Masters" category? Or somewhere else?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just to confirm: The album can be found in the "Albums" -> "Classical Masters" category? Or somewhere else?
I believe that's where I found it today.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
In honour of the UK/London Olympics, the BBC has produced a similar series about the mishaps of a branch of their organizing committee. There are several episodes of "Twenty Twelve" on the current TV section of AC's IFE. For those not flying this summer, you can catch two episodes a week on the Comedy Network, Sundays from 9p to 10:30p ET/PT.
This is a brilliant show, and even though it aired in the UK well over a year ago, some of the episodes are quite prescient. Last week's episode about tearing up the track of the Olympic Stadium when it was taken over by a football club was a news item in the UK just a few days earlier. And given the chaos that seems to be reigning right now, you have to wonder if the real Olympics are being organized by the 20/12 folks
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Academic
This is a brilliant show, and even though it aired in the UK well over a year ago, some of the episodes are quite prescient. Last week's episode about tearing up the track of the Olympic Stadium when it was taken over by a football club was a news item in the UK just a few days earlier. And given the chaos that seems to be reigning right now, you have to wonder if the real Olympics are being organized by the 20/12 folks
And one of the episodes on the IFE is about a bus that gets lost when taking the execs and a group of Brazil 2016 planners from their hotel in central London to the main Olympic site. Earlier this week I saw a news story about a bus carrying one of the teams that had just arrived from Heathrow to the Olympic Village getting hopelessly lost!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: *G
Said young maestro is a guest on Q, CBC radio this Monday (or should I say the program is "Q with Jian Ghomeshi" as they now seem to label it).

http://www.cbc.ca/q/weekly/2012/07/2...712/index.html

I gather he will be interviewed and playing, but don't know what time during the show.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

He was also writing his diary in the NATIONAL POST last week.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:40 am

The CBC Q radio interview with Jan is right after the 9.30 local time news break Monday morning.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by fin 645
The CBC Q radio interview with Jan is right after the 9.30 local time news break Monday morning.
Do we need to discuss specific members over and over in just about every thread?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by getaround
Do we need to discuss specific members over and over in just about every thread?
Well pardon me!! I will refrain from passing on info that might be of interest to others. (And I thought that avoiding a new thread would be a better way to do it - can't win).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:10 pm

There are two episodes of an interesting PBS documentary called America Revealed available. The one annoying thing is that the first episode is anamorphic so you need to use the full screen button (good) but the second episode is window boxed so full screen stretches it (bad).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by fin 645
Well pardon me!! I will refrain from passing on info that might be of interest to others. (And I thought that avoiding a new thread would be a better way to do it - can't win).
Feel free to start a new thread, but not here, it would be off-topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.