Wiki Posts
Search

Whose window shade is it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Whose window shade is it anyway?

I was flying on AC 857 last and was in seat 1K. After the meal service I wanted to sleep so put the window shades down for both windows in my pod. However the gentleman in seat 2K decided to go ahead and put the window shade closer to him back up (the one that was about 90% in my pod and 10% in his). I put it down and he puts it back up and claims he needs to work. The window shades for his own windows were both down. I politely ask him to just open one of his shades and let me put this one down but he insisted on keeping this shade open. So I called the flight director who asked him once and he replied that he wanted to keep the shade open so I was told there was nothing they could do and I could just move to a different seat. Another flight attendant passes by a few minutes after and tries to put the window shade down as the other passengers in the cabin were trying to rest but the guy kept putting the shade back up. Then another FA passes by and remarks to the second FA to not bother and just let the "passengers fight it out". Really I did not realize that the FA's role was to let passengers in J fight it out about window shades.

Anyway I ended up moving to another seat in the back to catch some shut eye and returned to my seat just prior to landing. The gentleman then proceeded to use the space in my pod (behind the seat) as his personal garbage dumping ground (used newspaper, plastic wrappers etc).

So to everyone here. What would you do if someone requests you to lower the window shade? Should flight attendants really let passengers "fight it out" amongst themselves if there is a disagreement about comfort onboard? Have you ever come across another passenger that uses someone elses onboard space as their personal garbage dumping ground?

To the passenger in seat 2K, I am sure your mother would be proud of your behavior and I hope I never have to travel with you again.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I'd have tossed his garbage back into his pod.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by becreative
So to everyone here. What would you do if someone requests you to lower the window shade? Should flight attendants really let passengers "fight it out" amongst themselves if there is a disagreement about comfort onboard? Have you ever come across another passenger that uses someone elses onboard space as their personal garbage dumping ground?

Isnt their a light that they can use?
I would only force the issue to open the shade if the plane was on descent or takeoff.

Im not surprised by the FA's response. I'm not sure it was the right thing, but I'm guessing from their perspective, flyers are adults, and as such, should be able to resolve this issue.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:13 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by The Lev
^
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Doesn't AC hand out eyeshades any more ?

I realize one doesn't look "cool" wearing them, but
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I wanted to and it took all the restraint that I had not to. A lot of deep breathing was required to just let this go.

Originally Posted by simba8
Isnt their a light that they can use?
I would only force the issue to open the shade if the plane was on descent or takeoff.

Im not surprised by the FA's response. I'm not sure it was the right thing, but I'm guessing from their perspective, flyers are adults, and as such, should be able to resolve this issue.
They have a few lights in the pod. Plus the passenger had 2 more windows in his own pod where had the shades down. I would have thought the FAs are there to resolve issues that passengers cant resolve themselves.

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Doesn't AC hand out eyeshades any more ?

I realize one doesn't look "cool" wearing them, but
I did try the eyeshades but for some reason the light was still disturbing me. This had nothing to do with looking cool but I was just trying to lower the window shade in my pod.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
^

You should get 2k's autograph, he is the famous JKA!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:36 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
I'd have gotten a beverage from the self-serve bar or the galley, and tripped while walking past his pod, making sure the contents of my glass found their way over to whatever he was working on.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
I'd have gotten a beverage from the self-serve bar or the galley, and tripped while walking past his pod, making sure the contents of my glass found their way over to whatever he was working on.
No you wouldn't have, but it sure feels nice being an internet tough guy doesn't it?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:58 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ziptie
No you wouldn't have, but it sure feels nice being an internet tough guy doesn't it?
Were you by any chance the "gentleman" sitting in 2K on the OP's flight?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: air canada
I think a serious coughing fit would have been in order -as chesty as possible
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
"He needs to work." Use the reading light then, it's there for a reason. Even in the "morning" before we're ready to land I always feel a little guilty when I pull up the shade, not knowing if it will upset others in the cabin.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by becreative
I was flying on AC 857 last and was in seat 1K. After the meal service I wanted to sleep so put the window shades down for both windows in my pod. However the gentleman in seat 2K decided to go ahead and put the window shade closer to him back up (the one that was about 90% in my pod and 10% in his). I put it down and he puts it back up and claims he needs to work. The window shades for his own windows were both down. I politely ask him to just open one of his shades and let me put this one down but he insisted on keeping this shade open. So I called the flight director who asked him once and he replied that he wanted to keep the shade open so I was told there was nothing they could do and I could just move to a different seat. Another flight attendant passes by a few minutes after and tries to put the window shade down as the other passengers in the cabin were trying to rest but the guy kept putting the shade back up.
I was on a TATL day flight and had paid $3200 because I absolutely needed to polish off a proposal that would be make or break for my company. It was the first time since the downturn since such an expenditure was authorized. The work was dumped on me after one of my associates abruptly quit. Some guy decides he owns 100% of all window shades and insists on putting the one down that overlapped my row no matter how much I pleaded because his beauty rest was apparently more important than my livelihood. He complained that my other shades were down, but I had to put them down because of the glare on my screen. I tried to use the reading light but it is so poorly positioned I couldn't make use of it. I have to admit I was so irate I let some of my refuse spill into his seat area, which I admit I'm not proud of, but I just could not fathom his selfishness. Fortunately the FAs didn't give into his bullying behaviour.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by zorn
.. but I had to put them down because of the glare on my screen. I tried to use the reading light but it is so poorly positioned I couldn't make use of it.
Heh...good flip-side story.

Was the above part of your quoted-post communicated to the other party?

Peace.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorn
I was on a TATL day flight and had paid $3200 because I absolutely needed to polish off a proposal that would be make or break for my company. It was the first time since the downturn since such an expenditure was authorized. The work was dumped on me after one of my associates abruptly quit. Some guy decides he owns 100% of all window shades and insists on putting the one down that overlapped my row no matter how much I pleaded because his beauty rest was apparently more important than my livelihood. He complained that my other shades were down, but I had to put them down because of the glare on my screen. I tried to use the reading light but it is so poorly positioned I couldn't make use of it. I have to admit I was so irate I let some of my refuse spill into his seat area, which I admit I'm not proud of, but I just could not fathom his selfishness. Fortunately the FAs didn't give into his bullying behaviour.
Great story that certainly was possible but here are a few facts:
a) I did not really think I owned 100% of the window shades. Just the ones in my pod. That really was clear from my request to the gentleman to open his own window shades
b) I had worked the night before and was traveling to SFO where I had a dinner meeting on landing and I wanted to get some rest while in transit. Day time or not, being able to rest is really a small expectation when traveling in business class
c) The fellow pax never "pleaded" but just told me once that he wanted to work and hence wanted to keep the window shade open. I did not want an altercation and hence decided to ask the flight attendants to step in. If I wanted to bully the passenger I would have kept putting the window shade down and he would have kept putting it up. This would have pretty much resulted in him not getting any work done. If anything I was the one who felt bullied and not the other way.
d) There was no attempt to use the in seat light to see how poor it would have been in an otherwise dark cabin or to see if the other window shades would have put any glare on the monitor.
e) The FAs had pretty much left us to "fight it out" and if I was actually bullying my fellow passenger I would have not been the one to walk to the back cabin. I can atleast say that I wanted to avoid an altercation and was more courteous and polite than the pax in 2K.
f) Next time the pax's company is on the verge of a make or break proposal and the passenger "absolutely" has to work and can not be nice, polite or courteous to fellow passengers then the company should just charter a private jet for their employee.

Either way zorn thanks for putting some thought into what the other passenger might have been going through. The chance of that happening would have been pretty slim and if that was actually the case, an explanation in a polite manner might have resulted in a positive experience for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.