Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flights from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by xLuther
Just flew YEG- EWR ( came back EWR- IAH-YEG) all paid J with wife. The YEG-EWR was packed , food ....well pretty bad, service erratic, wine choice was "the red" new wifi base entertainment was erratic, Same applied for other legs.

I have not flown much up until Sept this year due to personal issues, but now back to normal schedule, surprised how bad UA has gotten. All that said shutting flight down seems odd but UA is mess in general .

I'm back to avoiding them, end of year going to look at reducing Aeroplan/ AC as well
Flew them just recently as well, route packed.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
YEG-LHR goes away for the winter, YYC-LHR drops from a daily behemoth 777-300 to a 767-300 as has happened with AC for winter 14/15.
YYCLHR is actually an A330 this Winter (no doubt to accommodate all the additional exYEG pax)
LH as a example pulled the plug on it's YYC operations as a result of yields as it stated.
UA to EWR from YEG was likely dropped as a result of FI or atleast it contributed as the EWR flight was timed to meet UA TATL flights at EWR.
You bluntly mention LH scrapped YYC due to route performance. But UA dropped YEGEWR due to contributing factors from FI. Were there any outside factors in play when LH axed YYC? Or, Do outside factors only play a role when YEG service is cancelled/suspended?
I'm not sure where this slam Edmonton gig comes from but as observer it's really rather annoying to watch. KLM is entering the YEG market, good for them but why so Debbie downer about it?
Who’s slamming Edmonton? We’re in an AC forum and there is much debate about AC overlooking the gravy train that is Edmonton. Should we all just agree with that sentiment? Just take it as fact ignoring evidence to the contrary?
Personally, I'm happy for the additional service and am curious to see this all play out in months+years ahead. I’m not likely to o/d nor transfer through YEG, and couldn’t care less if EIAA directed all the fees they collect to incentivize BA to start daily Concorde to YEG.
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I suspect the Debbie downers know very well that YEG is being used to keep the YYC-LHR flight afloat over the winter as there is a significant portion of that flight that originates in YEG.
Riiight. Won’t speak for the other Downers but I don’t know that very well at all. If a significant portion of YYCLHR in winter is exYEG, Why does FI reduce service about as low as possible? Why not leverage their lower cost base to scoop a bunch of Winter YEG-YYC-EU (LHR) flyers? Why leave all that Edmonton money on the table?
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
We are not a hub for AC so they run the flight ex YYC.
Ottawa is not a hub yet, seemingly, profitably fills a 767 to LHR in the Winter months with >1,000 AC seats departing for LHR every day within 200 miles of the city. I think that's a fair comparison and not a "slam" to Edmonton, believe it or not.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:01 pm

Edmonton lost LHR service for the winter, but gained FI and KL year round (yes KL will be year round).

Ottawa lost FRA for the winter and LGW on Transat for the summer but gained nothing.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Edmonton lost LHR service for the winter, but gained FI and KL year round (yes KL will be year round).

Ottawa lost FRA for the winter and LGW on Transat for the summer but gained nothing.
Larger, nearby airports who offer AC many advantages will often lobby AC to not operate routes that they consider could hinder their traffic. I would assume than part of the YOW decision has a lot to do with YUL, as the YEG decision has to do with YYC.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:51 pm

LOL ...... “Gained KLM” 7 months before the route even commences. And KLM is year round to YEG? 4*A332/wk to Edmonton in February? Hadn’t heard that. Undeniably great news for YEG, A golf clap is in order as soon as that is confirmed and bookable.
Let me get this right, Ottawa “lost” FRA though it’s currently operating, and YEG “gained” AMS before formally announced and 7+ months prior to starting. That is some interesting math.
Besides, you’re wrong anyways - Ottawa gained 1-2w LHR flights this Winter. And before you tell me a flight or 2 per week is nothing, the additional 2*767 alone amounts to close to the entire TATL lift exYEG this Winter.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
LOL ...... “Gained KLM”
Yes KLM is a gain. 17 flights to Europe next summer, as compared to 12 this summer.

And KLM is year round to YEG? 4*A332/wk to Edmonton in February? Hadn’t heard that. Undeniably great news for YEG, A golf clap is in order as soon as that is confirmed and bookable.
Of course you haven't, you only pretend to know everything.

Let me get this right, Ottawa “lost” FRA though it’s currently operating
I know it is currently operating. Will it operate this winter? If not, I'd consider that a loss of service.

Last winter Edmonton had no flights to Europe, this winter it will have FI. That is a gain. Next winter it will have KL and FI (interesting how Ben said there is only room for one carrier from YEG to Europe over the winter).

By the way, why is Air Transat dropping YOW-LGW? Surely someone will pick up the slack. Oh wait, YOW is the only major Canadian airport not growing.

Last edited by TheGreatestX; Oct 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:33 pm

Of course you haven't, you only pretend to know everything.
Yeah, just read over your posts in this thread. Hard to argue you're a fountain of inside information.
What's the gauge and freq of W16 KLM ops @ YEG?
Next winter it will have KL and FI (interesting how Ben said there is only room for one carrier from YEG to Europe over the winter).
Good Gawd, how much grease did EIAA lather on KLM to squeeze them into deploying 1,000+ seats/week into YEG during Winter (assuming the inside info here is correct).
Weak o/d numbers, low-cost 1-stop competition to EU, existing operations at YVR&YYC, hubs in MSP and DTW. Basically limited to AMS o/d, cannibalizing current traffic, and YEG>beyond Europe.
Good thing the A330 has a big belly and can fit all the gold bars EIAA staffers will be loading each afternoon.
By the way, why is Air Transat dropping YOW-LGW?
I'd presume more profitable opportunities elsewhere. Nefarious conspiracy theories about spiteful airlines network decisions are not my forte.
While charter/low-cost/all-Y operators are market leaders in some cities (hmmm?), never heard much about 1/weekly TS service in YOW
Oh wait, YOW is the only major Canadian airport not growing.
You're right there. YOW's growth cannot touch YEG's lately. Fed cuts have had an impact.
AKAIK YOW airport authority is fine letting the Market forces dictate who/what flies there ... Some airport authorities have other ideas

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:41 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:16 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I'd presume more profitable opportunities elsewhere. Nefarious conspiracy theories about spiteful airlines network decisions are not my forte.
If there's one thing I've learned in life, be it in business or politics, it is that actors rarely work and decisions are rarely made purely on the cold calculus of rational economic factors. Personalities matter, relationships matter and behavioural psychology influences decisions.

While I agree that AC is not driven by spite vis a vis YEG, and I do not think there is a grand conspiracy in the AC C-suite, I also think it is naive for some to argue that AC is only governed by 'market' decisions. Businesses are run by people, and people are affected, consiciously or not, by biases and relationships. And, judging by the FI advertisement fiasco last year and the tone of the leaked AC letter, it seems clear that there is enmity between EIAA and AC that goes beyond rational economic decision-making. I am not in a position to judge the historiography of said enmity and who is more or less responsible, but I think there is validity in some Edmontonians' belief that there is more to this than market-driven decision-making.

In short, no, I don't think there is an overwhelming AC vendetta against YEG, but I also don't buy that AC is a purely rational economic actor making purely market-incentivised decisions- no business is a purely rational economic actor. Judging by the acrinomy between people at EIAA and AC, I would at least suggest that in a hypothetical routing decision allocating aircraft between YEG or say, YYC or YOW; all outcomes being perfectly equal, AC would probably choose YYC or YOW instead of YEG.

Last edited by jbb; Oct 17, 2014 at 3:38 am Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
AC850 YYC-LHR indicates a 763 through Until March 28/15, then a short switch to the A330 after that. But that's 90% of winter with the 763.

Last edited by PlanetYYZ; Oct 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
By the way, why is Air Transat dropping YOW-LGW? Surely someone will pick up the slack. Oh wait, YOW is the only major Canadian airport not growing.
At least YOW AIF is lower.
YOW's experience is what I would actually expect from an airport with a city the population of YEG, unlike what YEG currently is.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Seems to me that consistently there are several members here - CloudsB and UpgradeS - who chime in on Edmonton air service with the same snide remarks when Edmonton and Northern Alberta gets new air service. Instead of being supportive, their remarks fall into one predictable category - Edmonton doesn't deserve, won't support air service offered by any airline.

Their thinking is this - If Air Canada doesn't offer any international service in YEG, how dare anyone else jump in? Those other airlines must be stupid. We all know those people who likes to pour cold water on everything? They sure like to stick their nose into someone else's business. Do you see Edmontonians commenting how Toronto doesn't deserve this route or Calgary doesn't deserve that route, or Vancouver or Montreal for that matter?

The northern part of Alberta is the engine for this province and AC is missing the boat. Those who think we should play second fiddle and sit idle and accept what AC gives us cannot be more wrong.

I flew Icelandair this summer and talking to a few employees, I was told that they are very happy with the performance from the Edmonton route, noting that over 70% of the traffic is connecting onto continental Europe. Plane was full front and back with 2 open seats on the outbound and inbound.

Looking forward to more options in YEG, be it FI, KLM, AA, or whomever. They must be wondering where have all the connecting passengers gone in YYC or YYZ?
C3000 did well tech stopping in KEF from western Canada back in the day in their 757's.

It's viable as long as others don't usurp the route with n/s service, which will inevitably occur over the next few summers. Slice a few travelers here and a few travelers there and a winner turns into a loser pretty quickly.

There was a time when Delta operated multiple daily 757's + 737's and 727's from YYC to SLC when everything flowed through there.

Once open skies allowed new n/s services that bypassed SLC, Delta dropped SLC gauge again and again to the point where 20 years later, there are barely 150 seats a day on a couple of CRJ7's and 9's.

You can get away with down gauging to almost anything on a 750 mile sector. Unfortunately for Icelandair, there's really nothing much to down gauge to from a 757 on a 3,069 mile sector.

In of itself, Iceland isn't top of mind when it comes to a vacation destination for most other than for pure VFR travel.

Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:43 pm

AC850 YYC-LHR indicates a 763 through Until March 28/15, then a short switch to the A330 after that. But that's 90% of winter with the 763.
What schedule are you looking at?
AC 850 is an A330 eff 24Jan2015 until the 77W takes over.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Oct 17, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbb
If there's one thing I've learned in life, be it in business or politics, it is that actors rarely work and decisions are rarely made purely on the cold calculus of rational economic factors. Personalities matter, relationships matter and behavioural psychology influences decisions.

While I agree that AC is not driven by spite vis a vis YEG, and I do not think there is a grand conspiracy in the AC C-suite, I also think it is naive for some to argue that AC is only governed by 'market' decisions. Businesses are run by people, and people are affected, consiciously or not, by biases and relationships. And, judging by the FI advertisement fiasco last year and the tone of the leaked AC letter, it seems clear that there is enmity between EIAA and AC that goes beyond rational economic decision-making. I am not in a position to judge the historiography of said enmity and who is more or less responsible, but I think there is validity in some Edmontonians' belief that there is more to this than market-driven decision-making.

In short, no, I don't think there is an overwhelming AC vendetta against YEG, but I also don't buy that AC is a purely rational economic actor making purely market-incentivised decisions- no business is a purely rational economic actor. Judging by the acrinomy between people at EIAA and AC, I would at least suggest that in a hypothetical routing decision allocating aircraft between YEG or say, YYC or YOW; all outcomes being perfectly equal, AC would probably choose YYC or YOW instead of YEG.
I have sat on boards for the last ten years.....non profit ones.

If the executives were to make decisions based on emotion and not financial reasons. I would be advocating in an in camera session for their hides.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:38 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320

If the executives were to make decisions based on emotion and not financial reasons. I would be advocating in an in camera session for their hides.
And you've never heard of behavioural psychology? There are differences between making a conscious, emotionally driven decision (unlikely to happen very often in a public company, at least out in the open) and having your decision informed by personalities, relationships and subconscious emotional influences. Besides, I'm also sure there are big differences between what happens in the formal setting of a board meeting at that level and the myriad of smaller decisions that happen, in much less publicly exposed settings throughout a large company.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:52 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by airbus320

The former YEG CEO kept communication to the board very tight, I know this frustrated some former board members and executives. Not sure how it is with the new guy. Another factor for airports is most board members do not have an aviation background and usually are selected based on who they know - despite "open" competition. With a community's desire for air service, emotion does impact certain decisions, as the financials can contain assumptions that make the decision financially positive.

Post decision audits would be interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.