Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flights from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:17 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Adler
It wouldn't surprise me if Reykavik wasn't a top OD market, even with the flight. Icelandair is doing a good job connecting people from Scandinavia into Canada (or the US) via KEF.
Which makes me think the KLM flight will hurt them more than anyone else. KLM offers one stop to all of Europe, most of Scandinavia, parts of Africa.

Plus (as much as I love the 757) a wide body aircraft.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I think FI will really hurt- KLM will be the new "fad" in Edmonton, AC will take care of its loyalists, and FI will be stuck in the middle.

Does anyone know how FI is doing out of YEG though? I've seen some of their fares and they're really attractive, makes me think they're struggling a bit?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
I think FI will really hurt- KLM will be the new "fad" in Edmonton, AC will take care of its loyalists, and FI will be stuck in the middle.

Does anyone know how FI is doing out of YEG though? I've seen some of their fares and they're really attractive, makes me think they're struggling a bit?
If they were struggling, I doubt they'd expand their summer schedule from the originally announced 4/week to 5/week and now 6/week next summer.

I think the low fares will give FI the advantage next summer.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:02 pm

Out of Edmonton everything is a struggle. Not because of passenger numbers, but, because of what the people will pay.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

FI is also competitive on one-way pricing, which KL generally is not in the North American market.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:10 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by tcook052
The list is using data from 2013 which was before FI started flying ex YEG.

New flights can stimulate OD traffic, but it still would not put KEF on this list.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
FI is also competitive on one-way pricing, which KL generally is not in the North American market.
I couldn't agree more. The FI one-way fares are amazing and if looking for a positioning flight (for a TATL cruise or something else) they'd be the first place I look.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:42 am

It’s great any time an international carrier initiates/expands service to a Canadian city, but all market viability “assumptions” are suspicious when we don’t know the extent of incentives given to FI (and very likely KLM and AC) - the elephant in the room none of the EDM chest-beaters want to acknowledge. EDM passengers would get more bang for their buck paying KL, FI, AC directly for TATL service with higher fares and cut out the EIAA middle man.

YEG>EU O/D numbers are nothing to write home about. Does anyone know if KLM’s new service is seasonal only? Glad they can’t tip-toe into the market and have no choice but to bring in 245-seat aircraft.

Lots in the mix here – AC @ YEG+YYC, FI @ YEG, KL @ YEG and YYC. Even BA's YYC ops might feel this. Does TS still have TATL service into YYC?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
FI offers attractive fares to all of it's destinations not just YEG, so that bares no reflection on "how it's doing". They also just announced they will beef Edmonton upto 6 weekly flights next summer.

Edmontons European market is the one sector that is among the fastest growing and numbers have spiked dramatically TATL over the spring/summer of 2014.

As for incentives you do realize that YYC, YVR and YYZ have all subsidized numerous new flights right? Pointing out that YEG does it like it's the only one is rather ignorant.

AC service to LHR bares no reflection on YEG's European service as it's been stated before it's likely dropped in winter so that YYC-LHR can continue to operate at optimal performance with the additional YEG filled seats that connect as the route also struggles in winter.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Out of Edmonton everything is a struggle. Not because of passenger numbers, but, because of what the people will pay.
People who know the value of money not like the expense account crowd.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question role of YEG AA

Evidently, KL took the splash after the success of Iceland's stopover flights.

I am curious what (if any) inducements they were offered by YEG? The airport authority has committed to big expansion plans, and I would be surprised if they were not active behind the scenes?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:25 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
As for incentives you do realize that YYC, YVR and YYZ have all subsidized numerous new flights right? Pointing out that YEG does it like it's the only one is rather ignorant.

AC service to LHR bares no reflection on YEG's European service as it's been stated before it's likely dropped in winter so that YYC-LHR can continue to operate at optimal performance with the additional YEG filled seats that connect as the route also struggles in winter.
Did I say other airports don't provide incentives? No. Also I am not ignorant in terms of this as I have been involved in the industry for many years. What is different, and YEG is not overly transparent, is the subsidizing of routes in direct competition of existing routes. Other airports tend not to do this as makes the existing carriers somewhat upset.

AC is a company with shareholders acting in their best interest, and it makes economic sense for Alberta to have service maintained in 1 airport through the winter instead of seeing lost or reduced service at 2 airports.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:38 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Let's not forget, airlines may have pressure from other airports to not offer flights. It may not simply be a case of Airline 'A' deciding whether or not to service city 'E'. There may be city 'C' putting pressure on Airline 'A' to not offer more international flights from city 'E'.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by 7E7
Did I say other airports don't provide incentives? No. Also I am not ignorant in terms of this as I have been involved in the industry for many years. What is different, and YEG is not overly transparent, is the subsidizing of routes in direct competition of existing routes. Other airports tend not to do this as makes the existing carriers somewhat upset.

AC is a company with shareholders acting in their best interest, and it makes economic sense for Alberta to have service maintained in 1 airport through the winter instead of seeing lost or reduced service at 2 airports.
I don't think PlanetYYZ was responding to you. Simmer down.

Anyways, YYC subsidized BA, on a route that already existed.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by 7E7
...AC is a company with shareholders acting in their best interest, and it makes economic sense for Alberta to have service maintained in 1 airport through the winter instead of seeing lost or reduced service at 2 airports.
Economic sense to who? Not to the greater business community of Edmonton. Why don't you phone up Brad Ferguson at EEDC and share your vision with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.