Wiki Posts
Search

Do you eat every course?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Do you eat every course?

When you're flying J (or F), do you eat every course and meal served to you? Personally, I always forgo the cheese and dessert courses, instead opting for some fruit. I also usually choose fish or chicken over steak, and I rarely finish all the nuts and bread.

It is my impression that airlines use premium cabin meal service as a form of entertainment / way to kill time, but for those that travel in J or F regularly for work, it cannot be healthy to consume everything they serve (especially on flights that have 2 meals + a mid-flight snack).

Curious to see how others handle this.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:51 am

J with AC ...domestic i rarely even take a meal the food is so bad. International i usually pass on the first serving but will be hungry enough to take the second. So my answer is no.

F flights (CX, UA, LH, LX, EK etc) the food is generally better so then i will eat but not all they serve, i just pick some of what they offer. Most meals are over salted as i understand taste buds are affected at altitude?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by AC888
When you're flying J (or F), do you eat every course and meal served to you? Personally, I always forgo the cheese and dessert courses, instead opting for some fruit. I also usually choose fish or chicken over steak, and I rarely finish all the nuts and bread.

It is my impression that airlines use premium cabin meal service as a form of entertainment / way to kill time, but for those that travel in J or F regularly for work, it cannot be healthy to consume everything they serve (especially on flights that have 2 meals + a mid-flight snack).

Curious to see how others handle this.
Great question.

I just got back from Europe and flew J:

YEG-YUL-BCN-MAD
and
MAD-FRA-YYZ-YEG

I DID NOT eat every course. To be honest I prefer to eat light (er) when traveling. Nothing more gross then filling up and then lyding down on the flat beds.

In fact on my flight back from FRA-YYZ, I forgo the actual meal time and asked to eat mid way through the flight and even then I only ate a small portion of the meal.

My preferences are typically Chicken/Pasta over Fish/Beef. Fruit over Ice Cream. Etc.

I do find Long Haul Meal Service excessive...like jesus how much does AC we eat???
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No chicken for me. Usually fish, since beef is almost invariably way overcooked. However I have had very decent lamb, still quite pink, out of LHR recently.

I usually skip dessert, even fruit. Cheese is fine out of LHR or CDG, more or less OK ex-Canada, bad elsewhere.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I avoid the cheeses and the cholesterol laden cookies.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:24 am

Yes, i eat everything unless they burnt it......

On domestic/transborder, i further ask for BOB after two hours....
International, I usually do both the dessert and fruit
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Do you eat every course?

Originally Posted by AC888
It's definitely a time kill. Maybe they'll open up a gym in the Maple Leaf Lounge that you can purchase a bonus membership for.

OT: in the rare case I'm flying premium I eat most of what is offered.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:41 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Interesting topic!

I am always curious would most of you prefer an efficient service that is say completed usually around 2 hours after take off or a more dragged out service where most things are done by hand?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Interesting topic!

I am always curious would most of you prefer an efficient service that is say completed usually around 2 hours after take off or a more dragged out service where most things are done by hand?
I prefer the dragged out service. I almost always go for fish unless there is a curry. That being said I had an excellent lamb meal coming back from MUC last summer. It was really good.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I eat every course.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Interesting topic!

Andrew it depends on the flight, if it is an overnight I prefer if they serve quickly and get it over with but for day flights I don't mind if the service drags on but not too long a lag on between courses. I also noticed on our last flight to and from NRT that if you are in the 2nd J cabin the service takes forever.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
F, absolutely! And usually multiple if I can't decide.

NOTE: We only do this once a year so not worried about health implications that business travelers would need to factor in.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

As with my usualy diet I just eat the meat and veggies, skip the grains and starchy foods

Usually when they take my order I'll mention in advance what I won't want so they won't need to bring it and then take it back
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:39 am

Yes, I at least try everything. On night flights, I will opt for the express service, and the dragged out service on day flights.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:52 am

Definitely prefer nice and slow meals. There is express service already for those want to hit the bed asap.

And I eat everything that is handed to me! Even in Y.

On a side note, I generally choose lamb when there is one, and last time out of LHR I had the rack of lamb. It was good but impossible to cut with the knife provided! Need a proper steak knife for a 3-inch thick meat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.