postponing AE reward?

Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
postponing AE reward?

Hello,
Looking for advice/confirmation on options regarding a trip I booked for my dad and his lady friend.

Last summer I booked this trip (stops in BKK/HKG), before the miles requirements went up, for May 2012 travel. This April he had me move the trip to depart in June because of work obligations (fortunate to find a workable itinerary TPAC for 2). Unfortunately, a couple of days ago he let me know he didn't think he'd be able to take the trip that leaves 8 days from now (personal reasons). As he's now within the 22 day window, if he cancels the trip he can't get a refund of the miles (and presumably the fees/taxes) paid for the tickets. Now I'm just trying to think of a solution to this and want to see if the FT experts can confirm some things for me.

-since the original ticket was issued last summer, if he wanted to change the departure and rebook, it'd have to be rebooked within 365 of the original ticketing date, right? That option doesn't really help because even if there's reward flight availability, pushing the flights back a bit he won't be ready to take an intercontinental trip by then.

-The first leg of the trip is YXT-YVR (then to SFO to TPAC). I believe the ticketing rule for Aeroplan is that once the first flight is taken the remaining flights can be cancelled and then rebooked within one year? Does this mean he could fly YXT-YVR on June 10, cancel the remaining flights, then sometime before June 10 2013 he could rebook and resume the trip from YVR (as long as the destination of BKK stays the same)?

-I believe flight segments have to be cancelled 2 hours before the flight. The scheduled connecting flight from YVR-SFO is barely 2 hours after YXT-YVR lands. Could he cancel all the onward flights before he leaves YXT or should he depart YXT before cancelling the remaining flights? If need be I would be able to call Aeroplan while they are in flight to make sure the flights are cancelled ahead of the 2 hour deadline.

Is this a reasonable solution to this? If they can cancel after going to YVR, the cost of revenue flights to return to YXT would be worth it if the trip can be resumed within a year. I just don't want him to effectively waste 240k AE miles (plus the fees/taxes) that this trip cost. Anything I'm overlooking in this?

Thanks for any help/advice provided.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Rules:

- first leg must start within 1 year of ticket issue
- subsequent segments must complete within 1 year of first segment
- you can change the booking anytime for $90, so you can rebook segments 2 onwards anytime, like now
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Thanks beep.

Ended up keeping a June departure date for the first segment and changing the rest of the trip to next February (a 7 month stopover in YVR). First agent I spoke to tried to say that the trip needs to be completed within one year of the ticket issue date rather than within one year of the first flown segment. Of course I didn't try to debate her, just found a reason to get off the phone and called back again. Second agent had no problem making the change as the only hiccup was her triple checking that after the first segment I really did want to change the rest of the trip to 7 months in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.