FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Carribean routes with pod seating (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1352231-carribean-routes-pod-seating.html)

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 2:54 pm

Carribean routes with pod seating

I'm looking to book YEG-YYZ(STOP)-Carribean-yyz/yul-yeg during Christmas and I was wondering which destinations use pod service and which do not? I found out barbados does with their 767, but besides that I am unsure... Here are the destinations.

Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Netherland Antilles, Panama, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, Saint Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands.

EDIT: Sorry to make things clear, looking for the routes YYZ-Carribean that has pod seating.

acysb87 Jun 1, 12 3:04 pm

Why pod service?

I fly BGI at least once annually. The A319 service on weekends ex BGI to YYZ offers early afternoon departure and ease of cnx vs a late afternoon on a 763.

You may restrict your destinations ,i.e Grenada is only served by A319, by going with a larger aircraft. You could connect via Liat:rolleyes:to St.Lucia and other islands by flying to the main islands served by larger a/c

stinger Jun 1, 12 3:07 pm

I believe from YYZ you only have BGI, SXM and MBJ during the winter months. Not aware of any other 763's from YYZ.

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 18681409)
Why pod service?

I fly BGI at least once annually. The A319 service on weekends ex BGI to YYZ offers early afternoon departure and ease of cnx vs a late afternoon on a 763.

You may restrict your destinations ,i.e Grenada is only served by A319, by going with a larger aircraft. You could connect via Liat:rolleyes:to St.Lucia and other islands by flying to the main islands served by larger a/c

20k extra miles for pod is worth it for me while executive on e90 is not... Since it is a vacation booking and I am taking my SI, I would prefer to sit up front, but I still cannot find the value of non pod J. Being able to lay down is the biggest + for me.

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by stinger (Post 18681437)
I believe from YYZ you only have BGI, SXM and MBJ during the winter months. Not aware of any other 763's from YYZ.

It says on the AC page that MBJ is one of the 763s that use comfort class.

SXM interesting, is that the airport with the beach right beside it?

I'm looking at a sunny vacation this winter and the only US destination I would choose is Miami but for 10k miles more in J going to Caribbean with possible pod, I find that great value. Stopover ticket would cost me over 3k each YEG-YYZ-Carribean

acysb87 Jun 1, 12 3:14 pm

pods to Caribbean is typical North America style J service.

eyeball1 Jun 1, 12 3:18 pm

Is a pod for a 2 hour flight really necessary? How much sleeping can you do?

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by eyeball1 (Post 18681522)
Is a pod for a 2 hour flight really necessary? How much sleeping can you do?

BGI-YYZ can be almost 6 hours....

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Jun 1, 12 3:25 pm

Great Question!!!

Was wondering this myself?

eyeball1 Jun 1, 12 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by sktdh (Post 18681545)
BGI-YYZ can be almost 6 hours....

Hmmm ok. I usually take the much shorter hop to NAS. :cool:

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 3:36 pm

I just did a YYZ-MBJ dummy booking in January and the seats do show pod..

They are also half full, I better get on this quick wow

stinger Jun 1, 12 7:34 pm

Flew YYZ-MBJ this past winter and we had the 763 with the pods, believe they use the comfort seating on the western canada flights to the carribbean.

SXM is the airport where the planes land right over the beach.

SKYEG Jun 1, 12 8:28 pm

Can anyone compare the two destinations Montego and Barbados? I am 99% sure I will head there, as long as it is available on AE... The price seems around the same in terms of hotels

acysb87 Jun 2, 12 6:18 am

Originally Posted by sktdh (Post 18682852)
Can anyone compare the two destinations Montego and Barbados? I am 99% sure I will head there, as long as it is available on AE... The price seems around the same in terms of hotels

What are you looking to do? Both destinations offer plenty of diversity,although Jamaica is a much larger country.

I have been to both but long ago decided that Barbados suits me more/better than Jamaica.

rankourabu Jun 2, 12 7:00 am

so I have an A319 reward flight BGI-YYZ (BD awards Caribbean-stop in YYZ-Europe were 18750 miles in J). What do you get on a 6 hour flight on an A319?
Typical North American service with surly flight attendants, both working and seated in most of the J seats? A full meal?