Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in talks to lease five AC 777LRs from AI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in talks to lease five AC 777LRs from AI

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Sebring
I don't see GIG-Rio as a 777 destination but rather a non-XM 767 type situation while the market builds, then maybe a 787 route with J by 2015 for the World Cup and the Olympics a year later. Certainly, can fly full to BCN in the summer, it can fly a non-XM 767 to GIG in winter. So I see GIG as a route being created as a result of the ability to replace a 763 with a 777 on the transatlantic.
Of the 3 non-XM'd 763's, I think it's safe to say they would never touch down in Rio de Janiero on a scheduled basis. These aircraft are deployed on low-yield, high density vacation markets and until such time that they leave the fleet, there missions have been fairly consistent in the current winter/summer rotation. Rio is an upscale travel market, and think that the clientele would demand and be willing to pay for real deal J.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
Originally Posted by Sebring
The senior AC pilot who posts on airliners.net as Longhauler says there is a rumor internally that the 77L would be put into an all-economy (with some E+) to do a low-yield market, likely India.

Ethiopian has a two-class 77L with 32" pitch in Y and a small Executive First type section for a total of 321 seats. AC could probably get more like 330 in such a 77L with a 38-inch E+ pitch.
We could also go to a 3-4-3 in Y and get another 20 to 30 more seats .. .

One thing about the 77L's..... They can carry lots of cattle.....

Jokes aside, I do believe the 77L will be the right bird for YYZ-DEL and YVR-BOM flights....
Old May 28, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by AC_flyer
Jokes aside, I do believe the 77L will be the right bird for YYZ-DEL and YVR-BOM flights....
AC gets a nice revenue stream from LX for leasing out their landing rights in DEL. Why mess with that? YVR-SIN or YVR-BKK are very likely along with upgaging across the network and moving some of the older 767s to the LCC.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
AC gets a nice revenue stream from LX for leasing out their landing rights in DEL. Why mess with that? YVR-SIN or YVR-BKK are very likely along with upgaging across the network and moving some of the older 767s to the LCC.

Very true about the DEL landing rights. But with the new terminal and additional runway, I wonder if the revenue will be the same....

I know around 5 years ago (May be longer) AC was looking at the YVR-BOM route. This was around the time, the 343s were making the YYZ-DEL routes.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AC_flyer
I know around 5 years ago (May be longer) AC was looking at the YVR-BOM route. This was around the time, the 343s were making the YYZ-DEL routes.
Correction: This was around the time the 343s were trying to make the YYZ-DEL routes but ended up doing YYZ-ARN-DEL
Old May 28, 2012, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Correction: This was around the time the 343s were trying to make the YYZ-DEL routes but ended up doing YYZ-ARN-DEL
Forgot about ARN (Technical stop).. But getting back to the B77Ls, I am sure they can easily seat around 350 total if they were to switch to 3-4-3 Y class config and a limited J class configuration.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Please please please put some larger a/c on YYC-FRA. We need them!

We basically need a Privatair arrangement - half J, half Y - Y is frequently not too full, J is almost always jam-packed (a few seats for upgrades left at full-fare J).
Originally Posted by ridefar
Isnt that exactly the result that load management would want? Why would they put a bigger aircraft on a route that isnt selling out either J or Y? To keep a few SE happy with upgrades?
Switching aircraft on the YYC-FRA run will not significantly increase J capacity. There is only a marginal improvement of 6 J seats between the 77L/77W and 333 (Gold star for those who can get the 6 seat logic correct). Moving to a 77W would greatly increase Y capacity, it would also shave block time off the route.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
And where does AC's plans for an LCC come in?
As per the very public statements that AC wishes to launch an LCC, I point to the proposal (I am copying from the CAPA newsletter);
Air Canada’s proposed new LCC
•A fleet of 50 Boeing 767s and A319s, “mostly” from the existing fleet
• A differentiated product, separate from the mainline carrier, somewhat similar to Qantas’ Jetstar
•To operate to new international leisure markets with lower yield profiles, “such as Amsterdam, Dublin, Casablanca and sun destinations in the winter”.

Air Canada has stated in the past that it also wishes to expand into South America, a part of of its network that would immediately benefit from increased destinations and flights. South America would not cannabilize Star Alliance partners and would instead draw PAX from One World.

Should Air Canada's statements be ignored? All the gung ho talk of increased flights to India sidesteps the fact that India has a very strong position on protecting its market. Is India really going to roll out the welcome mat for increased competition to its airlines which are bleeding and in a precarious state?
Why would Air canada want to expand into a market which is extremely expensive and a loss generator for an airline?
Still not willing to consider the undesirability of India? Read this;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-17950561
India is not the most attractive market for expansion.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Other than for up-gauging existing routes to Europe and South America, I expect daily B77W/L YYZ-PEK/PVG and year round daily B77L/W YVR-HKG/NRT/PEK/PVG.

New YVR-BOM/DEL (no direct competition) instead of YYZ-BOM/DEl (2 direct + 2 indirect competition) using limited J (handle by one FA) and high density Y seating.

YVR-SIN or YVR-BKK not enough traffic unless code share with SQ/TG and extend the flight YYZ-YVR-SIN/BKK. These flight need to operate at the hours similar to AC33/34.

AC has 5th freedom right at NRT, may be turn NRT into Asian hub basing crews there like NW (now DL). NRT traffic is recovering. How about combing all YVR/YYC/YYZ pax at NRT and extend NRT-SYD/MEL/SIN/BKK.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
YVR-BNE-MEL-BNE-YVR would be an interesting one - particularly if australia would allow them to fly pax betweem BNE and MEL. It would be like AC's flights to SCL/EZE.
1) Australia doesn't allow UA to fly pax between SYD and MEL, other than those ticketed through to the USA, so it would be difficult imagining AC getting that permission.
2) It would not be like SCL/EZE, as those are cities in different countries.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So will this now be:

1 Amigo
2 Pineapples
5 Pumpkins

?
Old May 29, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So will this now be:

1 Amigo
2 Pineapples
5 Pumpkins

?
Curry
Old May 29, 2012, 6:49 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Spot planes

AC has 5th freedom right at NRT, may be turn NRT into Asian hub basing crews there like NW (now DL). NRT traffic is recovering. How about combing all YVR/YYC/YYZ pax at NRT and extend NRT-SYD/MEL/SIN/BKK.
Canada to Aus via Tokyo would be a major detour, NW tried JFK-KIX-SYD and it didn't work.

NRT tags-on flights for NW/DL are traditionally low yield due to lack of frequency and poor timing, so it would not be wise for AC to enter that market, AC should stick to codesharing with NH and expand non stop flights.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
(Gold star for those who can get the 6 seat logic correct).
1 J seat on 333 taken up for crew rest seat, leaving 36 vs. 42 on 777 which has dedicated crew rest bunks.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So will this now be:

1 Amigo
2 Pineapples
5 Pumpkins

?
I vote for 5 Pakoras

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.