Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Old May 22, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Let's see..

Normally I gas up at Costco or Shell, but I've been getting all my gas at Esso this month ($6-$10 at a time)

I bought some Haggen Dazs ice cream bars and Nestle candies that I normally wouldn't bother with.

I've made numerous trips to make small purchases at the Rexall near my office that I'd never been to before.

I needed a broom and a new toilet seat, so I picked that up at Home Hardware instead of Home Depot.

So yes, they have been getting some extra business out of me.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by loaloys
Items I purchased that I liked but not critical:

4 boxes of Haagen daaz bars...$28
Book and DVD from Chapters that has been on my wishlist for awhile...$35
Kobo ebook: $4
Overpaying for snacks at Esso when I could've bought'em cheaper at a grocery store: $10

Time spent changing behaviour and purchase destinations: 3hrs

But the above can be amortized over two aeroplan numbers (wife + me).. wouldn't have gone thru the trouble for just 16.5k points.... as I travel enuf to earn 70 stars without any additional spend for myself.
Right...I looked at it as being nearly 50,000 points over three cards as well, so it wasn't a big deal, considering we already had 70 combined stars with travel and AeroGold to start with.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; May 23, 2012 at 11:52 am
Old May 23, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
My car is too fuel efficient, so I've switched to Premium. And, I've bought a lot of Scratch and Win tickets for my mom's stars
Old May 23, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
$0, but I spent a bit of my time to go to different esso's... But it was definitely worth the 33k points, basically a free(lol) transboarder flight!
Old May 23, 2012, 3:43 pm

Location: YYC; would like to return to living in SIN (or PER)
Programs: SQ KF, QFF
I downloaded my transactions to see if I'd qualified (no e-mail as of yet), and looking at them, I'd have to say ~ $50 in marginal spend on Nestle / Haagen-Daaz was all (13 transactions, say between $3.50 and $5 apiece). Bought them at Sobey's (so got the stars from there as well). 12 trips to Esso; put gas I would have bought in a single trip anyways; the Esso station is less than 1/4 km out of my way on the daily commute.

So 26 stars from Nestle, 26 from Sobeys, 24 from Esso, 3 from Park & Jet (the fiasco linked to in my signature), and 5 from having a CIBC Aerogold Infinite - should be 84 stars.

Now what to do with the miles; no flight rewards unless and until I hear back from AC, but don't want to redeem them for toasters, either. Oh, well.

TB-ES
Old May 24, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Driver's Edge
An Esso near me has a Tim Hortons in it. Any idea if you can get Aeroplan points for a Tim's purchase?
Old May 24, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by Spensar
Any idea if you can get Aeroplan points for a Tim's purchase?
No you cannot.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
deleted
Old May 25, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spensar
An Esso near me has a Tim Hortons in it. Any idea if you can get Aeroplan points for a Tim's purchase?
Nope.
But, I have been able to trade Tim Cards (that people got as a gift) for Sears cards (that are much more liquid as Sears allows you to use their GC to purchase another GC.)
You can get Sears GC at Esso (and they give you AE points).
I use other options to get CX/AA miles though.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just filled up both vehicles at Esso with $125 worth of Esso gift cards at $3 a squirt and the rest in replenishing our chewing gum supplies with 3 months worth of stock from Rexalls. ^
Old May 25, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I had to pour half a litre of gas on the ground to get to $3 for my last two stars
Old May 26, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I had to pour half a litre of gas on the ground to get to $3 for my last two stars
Safety hazard much?
Old May 26, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Imagine if the next person there decides to take a smoke....
Old May 26, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Imagine if the next person there decides to take a smoke....
In the 5 minutes I spent going in to buy 4 x $3 lottery tickets (of which I won half my money back) - most of the gasoline had evaporated.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:25 pm

Tedgrrrr: Then why not just NOT waste the gas, and buy an extra ticket?

In general, we did find a Rexall in town (way overstaffed since it is almost always empty, and prices are higher than London Drug). I also realized that while the Husky has lower regular gas (the price on the big sign), the premium is the same price. I also got an EE card which I might use since I get credit for lottery tickets .

Most important, I re-found Points.com. I was a member WAAAY back. I re-activated my account and will be able to move some orphaned points around. I have had lots of points expire from trips in far flung places around the world, and this will help to move them to something useful. For example, we have 3 Taca flights coming up and since the *A doesn't look like it will happen on time, I will sign us up for Taca which I can then transfer to something else.

I hope that this kind of promotion will happen again!

Dr. PITUK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.