Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is the best VISA/Mastercard for Aeroplan points?

Old May 19, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I know that I am stating a question that has been raised in tens, if not hundreds, of threads on this forum for years.My question is that if all Canadian establishments would take AMEX - I would only use an AMEX card - either a AMEX Aeroplus Platinum card, or an AMEX Gold Rewards card (esp the latter for global travel services or Canadian gas stations/groceries/drug stores). But not all Canadian retail establishments use such cards.

In Ottawa, we often go to Loblaws or its subsidiaries - no AMEX. We go to many produce stores - no AMEX. We go to Tim Horton's - no AMEX (I can not remember if MacDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendy's or the like accept AMEX, or not). We went to Ikea today - no AMEX. We go to Walmart (regular or SuperCentre) or Costco - no double points with the AMEX Gold Rewards charge card.

So which Visa or MC is the best card for accumulating Aeroplan miles - so that most to all establishments accepting credit or charge cards, would accept one or both of those cards (of course, Costco does not accept Visa or MC; only AMEX cards). Perhaps, the card described in the thread (see link below) is the best card?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...year-free.html

Is this the only Canadian VISA (or MC) card that gives, at least on some purchases, more than 1 point per dollar charged on that card?
Old May 19, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I find my Amex is accepted at most places where I happen to shop. I don't know if you can generalize on the acceptability at some stores, since in many cases, card acceptance arrangements are up to the local store owner. I have 2 Mr. Sub locations near me; 1 takes Amex and the other does not?

If you really want to maximize the earnings, the Gold Amex with double points at Grocery/Drug/Travel works rather well. If you really wanted to maximize, you can probably purchase gift cards at Sobeys or Shoppers Drug Mart for many of the places you plan to shop, giving you 2 points for every dollar spent at most retailers.

I just did that today, dropping into Sobeys on my way to Home Depot to buy their gift card first.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Try the AS MasterCard. Good benefits (ESP. 99 CAD companion fare), awesome points, good welcome bonus, and low fee. MasterCard is accepted in Tim Horton's!!
Old May 19, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Tim takes visa now also
Old May 19, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
If you want to earn Aeroplan miles (not sure why anyone would these days) the best combo is Gold rewards for gas/grocery/travel etc. and SPG Amex for everything else.

Get a Capital One Aspire for everything else that doesn't take Amex (great for paying taxes on AP rewards)
Old May 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Get the RBC Platinum or Infinite VISA. You can transfer to AE or BA or Cathay or AA or you can use their points for straight up redemptions in Y. Otherwise use CIBC Infinite Visa for automatic AE. AMEX is pretty useless in Canada, but there are lots of followers here who churn them for the points. I just find them a PITA to deal with. SPG AMEX and Gold are best as noted by others, but be aware that the SPG card often has low limits.
Hope that helps you
cheers
Stephan

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I know that I am stating a question that has been raised in tens, if not hundreds, of threads on this forum for years.My question is that if all Canadian establishments would take AMEX - I would only use an AMEX card - either a AMEX Aeroplus Platinum card, or an AMEX Gold Rewards card (esp the latter for global travel services or Canadian gas stations/groceries/drug stores). But not all Canadian retail establishments use such cards.

In Ottawa, we often go to Loblaws or its subsidiaries - no AMEX. We go to many produce stores - no AMEX. We go to Tim Horton's - no AMEX (I can not remember if MacDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendy's or the like accept AMEX, or not). We went to Ikea today - no AMEX. We go to Walmart (regular or SuperCentre) or Costco - no double points with the AMEX Gold Rewards charge card.

So which Visa or MC is the best card for accumulating Aeroplan miles - so that most to all establishments accepting credit or charge cards, would accept one or both of those cards (of course, Costco does not accept Visa or MC; only AMEX cards). Perhaps, the card described in the thread (see link below) is the best card?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...year-free.html

Is this the only Canadian VISA (or MC) card that gives, at least on some purchases, more than 1 point per dollar charged on that card?
Old May 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I have the same issue with amex and have found some work arounds. Buy a Tim's gift card from Pharmaprix or some other place using your amex and refill it online with Amex. I shop at Sobeys to avoid their no Amex policy (which relates to them wanting people to use their PC card)
Old May 20, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sp4294
Get the RBC Platinum or Infinite VISA. You can transfer to AE or BA or Cathay or AA or you can use their points for straight up redemptions in Y. Otherwise use CIBC Infinite Visa for automatic AE. AMEX is pretty useless in Canada, but there are lots of followers here who churn them for the points. I just find them a PITA to deal with. SPG AMEX and Gold are best as noted by others, but be aware that the SPG card often has low limits.
Hope that helps you
cheers
Stephan
I am not aware that any RBC credit card allows for its points to be transferred to Aeroplan?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Nope, RBC doesn't transfer to AP.

I'm in the same boat as you. For Amex, if I can use it, I've got the SPG Amex. Everything else is CIBC Aerogold/Infinite. Nonetheless, my VISA transactions are typically 3X my Amex transactions.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why would anyone want a cc that gives them ore AE miles when it costs so much to redeem those miles for flights? It makes more sense to get a cc that earns miles in AA, UA or even DL if one's spend is going to generate more than 50K miles a year. Awards from these programs cost a fraction of what they would using AE miles on most STAR carriers. I just used AA miles on a PVG-YYZ award and paid $33. AE wanted more than 10x that for flights on AC and 3x if I flew UA. (And I with my UA miles I can book the same STAR carriers, including AC, that have huge additional charges for a fraction of the AE cost.)

BTW McD's takes Amex in NAmerica.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
I am not aware that any RBC credit card allows for its points to be transferred to Aeroplan?
You can use the RBC Esso Visa and then convert via points.com. Not sure if the conversion rate is any good, I suspect not.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
BTW McD's takes Amex in NAmerica.
Not all. Downtown YVR locations take Amex, but many in the suburbs don't. Depends on the franchise owner.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan / Airmiles
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Buy a Tim's gift card from Pharmaprix or some other place using your amex and refill it online with Amex. I shop at Sobeys to avoid their no Amex policy (which relates to them wanting people to use their PC card)
I like the Tim's card idea. I use VISA and Tim's hasn't accepted that card, at least until now. Groceries at Sobey's and gas at Esso get me a lot of points.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by DaveTO
If you want to earn Aeroplan miles (not sure why anyone would these days)
I agree. AE points are pretty much useless.

Originally Posted by sp4294
Get the RBC Platinum or Infinite VISA. You can transfer to AE or BA or Cathay or AA or you can use their points for straight up redemptions in Y.
This is my recommendation. You cannot convert to AE points, but you can to BA or AA, at 1.5 or 1.25 to 1 respectively, during their annual or semi-annual promotion.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:49 pm

Yup, sorry to OP...my bad! Brainfart I guess! Got the CIBC Visa and RBC VISA mixed up as I use the RBC for BA, and Cathay more now and its been a while since my CIBC card was in regular use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.