Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Re-Launches Daily Non-Stop Seasonal Flights St. John's - London Heathrow

Air Canada Re-Launches Daily Non-Stop Seasonal Flights St. John's - London Heathrow

Old May 17, 12, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/9767...-across-europe

MONTREAL, May 17, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada re-launches today daily non-stop seasonal flights between St. John's and London Heathrow, U. K. offering convenient connecting flights throughout Europe with its Star Alliance partner carriers. Air Canada will operate the only daily non-stop flights between Newfoundland and Labrador and London Heathrow until September 30, 2012.

"This year, we are starting service almost two weeks earlier than last year due to strong performance and support from the St John's community," said Marcel Forget Vice-President, Network Planning, Air Canada. "Once again we are pleased to offer our customers in Newfoundland and Labrador the fastest and most efficient way of making connections to several European capitals such as Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Vienna, Warsaw, and Berlin."

Air Canada flight AC822 leaves St. John's at 22:05, arriving in London at 06:35, and flight AC823 will leave London at 13:00 arriving back in St. John's at 15:10. At London Heathrow Air Canada offers convenient connections to points throughout Europe with its Star Alliance partners. In St. John's Air Canada's flights are timed to offer convenient connections to and from Deer Lake, Halifax, and Toronto.

Flights will operate using a 120-seat Airbus A319 aircraft in a two-cabin configuration offering a choice of Executive Class and Economy service. On May 1, 2012 Air Canada expanded the selection on its In-flight Entertainment System to offer customers twice as many movies to choose from than before. The enriched personalized seatback system will give each customer free access to a menu of up to 150 movies designed to suit every taste, ranging from the latest Hollywood blockbuster to classic art house and international films.

Air Canada's seasonal St. John's-London Heathrow service will complement the carrier's daily non-stop flights to London Heathrow from Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Halifax. In 2012 the carrier will offer up to 84 flights each week from Canada to London Heathrow.
Old May 17, 12, 7:59 pm

In an unrelated action, Air Canada immediately moved swiftly to effect an R=0 policy on most of the new St. John's-Heathrow flights.

"We can't win until we succeed at pissing off most of our best customers," said a spokesperson. "There is no upgrade for you!"

Representatives of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld had no comment.
Old May 17, 12, 8:18 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Across the Atlantic in a 319.... freaky!
Old May 17, 12, 8:25 pm

5h flight, flights to SFO/LAX from YUL are about the same. Some of the Westbound flights from YYZ/YUL to YVR can be close to the same.
Old May 17, 12, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I think it would be kind of cool landing in London in an AC a319! I'm sure some pax board in LHR and get quite confused

I do have 2 questions though:

1- Are meals in Y free on this flight? It's trans atlantic, but it's in the 5 hour range, as long as a YVR-YUL flight on a bad day...

2- Do upgrades require the NA number of credits or the intl number? It's not an intl. J product, and a short flight, but it is to LHR.....any ideas? I'm just curious.

I'm sure YYT is thrilled! They were less than happy (far less...) when AC cut their previous flights to LHR (I remember reading about this), so I'm glad they're back this summer!
Old May 17, 12, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by nave888 View Post
I'm sure YYT is thrilled! They were less than happy (far less...) when AC cut their previous flights to LHR (I remember reading about this), so I'm glad they're back this summer!
I dont see why... Its not as if they have to go to big bad Montreal or Toronto to cross, they can scoot over to YHZ, and so can YDF/YQX./YYR...

I think I would rather cross the atlantic in a 767 then a 319, as well as have the intl economy seats, (2 3 2 rows) or the intl J product...

I can't see people hating flying that much as to absolutly not want to go to halifax on a CRJ or a E90....
Old May 17, 12, 8:41 pm

Cut us some slack. We don't know any better than 319s in Newfoundland

My only flight to London this year is via YHZ, so I can't answer your questions.

This flight is good for the province though. European expats get home easier, and locals get to see a different part of the world more quickly.
Old May 17, 12, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gateguard0 View Post

My only flight to London this year is via YHZ, so I can't answer your questions.

This flight is good for the province though. European expats get home easier, and locals get to see a different part of the world more quickly.
Plus it's cool!!

I believe it takes the normal 14 credits to upgrade (for T+).
Old May 17, 12, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984 View Post
Plus it's cool!!

I believe it takes the normal 14 credits to upgrade (for T+).
Cool for 5-6h in ''comfort plus '' versus Intl J?

I route yow-yyz-yvr-yyj to get intl J on the yyz/yvr segment... or yeg-yyc-yyz-yow... screw the 319/320 fleet. Unless I can get 2A on a E90 direct flight that will not have flap/slat/electrical issues haha
Old May 17, 12, 11:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Across the Atlantic in a 319.... freaky!
BA flies LCY-JFK with an A318, although there's a quick fuel stop in Ireland on the westbound leg.
Old May 17, 12, 11:25 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by gateguard0 View Post
I live in Saskatchewan. What is this "319"?

Seriously... AC flies an A319 out of YQR or YXE once in a blue moon, but if we see one a week it's a good week.
Old May 18, 12, 10:28 am

YYT had a 787 hanging around for a week or so late last year. Some sort of winter weather testing. Or wind. Or rain. Or fog. Take your pick.
Old May 18, 12, 10:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by hearna View Post

I route yow-yyz-yvr-yyj to get intl J on the yyz/yvr segment..
Ha! This is exactly what I do. The very tiny increase in the all-in fare by transiting YYZ is more than offset by the additional privacy and comfort of the exec first pods. I know that there's a chance the airplane used on a specific flight may change to standard exec class but I've never actually had that happen. And even if it does happen I'm getting what I paid for.
Old May 18, 12, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
1- Are meals in Y free on this flight? It's trans atlantic, but it's in the 5 hour range, as long as a YVR-YUL flight on a bad day...
Yes they should be.

2- Do upgrades require the NA number of credits or the intl number? It's not an intl. J product, and a short flight, but it is to LHR.....any ideas? I'm just curious.
Yes - I just tried a dummy booking.
Old May 18, 12, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE
AC adding a 5th daily LHR from YYZ on June 3 - very convenient

Search this Thread