FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   priority of SE's (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1347226-priority-ses.html)

threevic May 17, 2012 9:32 am

priority of SE's

I have a question. I've been with aeroplan for two years now and have heard two different viewpoints on the following topic. I recently found this forum and figured I could get some clarity.

can a FA know who is a "higher ranking" if you will SE? I'm asking this taking out the MM factor because that would be seen on the manifest.

I've been told "no", a SE is a SE regardless of miles flown...recently however, I had a flight attendant tell me that his manifest told him that I had far more mileage than my colleague who is also a super elite and was traveling with me.

Truth is, he was my colleague had about 120k miles for last year and i had 300k
same this year, i'm at 96k and he's at 68k for the year.

thanks in advance for the answer. I'm pretty excited to have found this forum

Cheers

j_the_p May 17, 2012 9:37 am

I always thought that SE=SE regardless of number of miles over 100k you have flown.

However, I also have a colleague who swears that between any given group of SEs and all other factors taken out, that number of miles flown does come into play.

Curious to know what others think/experience.

Oh and Welcome to FT! :)

threevic May 17, 2012 9:43 am

thanks for the warm words. There is a lot of stuff I did manage to find out over my short time...I did have some very good conversations with DADS and there are some pretty interesting discrepancies with what she says and what some FA's seem to think. I'll bring that up over time.

cheers and happy trails! I'm off to Zurich on Tuesday...though I'm out if upgrade credits...so back of the bus for me.

YOWie May 17, 2012 9:56 am

I don't haev any hard proof but I've seen enough cases where relative mileage appears to come into play when it comes to upgrades for me to conclude that it probably makes a differrence. A typical example

2 colleagues, both SE on the same flight. The one that was tracking higher for mileage that year got the upgrade at the gate while the other more senior individual who was also MM did not.

mendy7511 May 17, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by threevic:18592851
thanks for the warm words. There is a lot of stuff I did manage to find out over my short time...I did have some very good conversations with DADS and there are some pretty interesting discrepancies with what she says and what some FA's seem to think. I'll bring that up over time.

cheers and happy trails! I'm off to Zurich on Tuesday...though I'm out if upgrade credits...so back of the bus for me.

You flew 300K last year and ran out of credits already?
You are giving away too many!

KenHamer May 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

One trip to Asia/Oz may have burned up half if his original allotment.

gesmith10 May 17, 2012 12:29 pm

I looked at the Manifest on a recent YVR HKG flight, they left it sitting in the galley. It just shows *SE, *E, *P or *G or *S for Star Alliance flyers. It also prints MM below status for Million Mile flyers. Finally it prints ML*1 to show if you were upgraded.

mendy7511 May 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 18593863)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

One trip to Asia/Oz may have burned up half if his original allotment.

If original allotment is somewhere around 65 credits plus whatever credits left over from last year (@300K there should be some) add the 60 or so threshold credits for the 80K this year, it has got to be tough to burn all of them.
I have almost 100 left and i only did 100K last year.

yvr76 May 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by gesmith10 (Post 18593996)
I looked at the Manifest on a recent YVR HKG flight, they left it sitting in the galley. It just shows *SE, *E, *P or *G or *S for Star Alliance flyers. It also prints MM below status for Million Mile flyers. Finally it prints ML*1 to show if you were upgraded.

Actually ML*1 just denotes if you got moved to the J cabin < 24 hours. This can be either due to upgrade using credits, an LMU via OLCI, or just a last minute purchase. When I get upgraded at the gate, my boarding pass always says ML*1, but if upgraded T-1+ days it does not.

The Lev May 17, 2012 2:46 pm

duplicate

g46r May 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by 4havnfun (Post 18592926)

2 colleagues, both SE on the same flight. The one that was tracking higher for mileage that year got the upgrade at the gate while the other more senior individual who was also MM did not.

Do they have the same booking class? It's much more likely that the tiebreaker was the booking class.

Academic May 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 4havnfun (Post 18592926)

Our AC friends can confirm, but I don't believe the manifest shows any information other than status. This is not the case for *wood, however, where your points total does show on your file when you check-in.

payam81 May 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Academic (Post 18595108)
Our AC friends can confirm, but I don't believe the manifest shows any information other than status. This is not the case for *wood, however, where your points total does show on your file when you check-in.

Or HH or IHG... They too can see the balance.

okazon69 May 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Academic (Post 18595108)

On the manifest it does not, but I know that on reward tickets your current AE mileage balance shows on your PNR. I am not certain what the benefit is of that showing as it has little to do with how much you actually fly.

YOWie May 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by g46r (Post 18594924)
Do they have the same booking class? It's much more likely that the tiebreaker was the booking class.

Everyone would have been on a Tango+ flight pass