Wiki Posts
Search

priority of SE's

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM Fairmont presidents club
a couple of replys

it is actually pretty easy to blow through those credits. 300k last year and about 95k now... if you take 1 round trip to europe per month, so I'm from winnipeg...that is 4034 miles from YYZ to ZRH and 933 miles from YWG to YYZ, so around 10k miles round trip and you earn 15 credits for every 20 miles... the round trip costs you 28 credits...thus why I have only 11 credits at the moment. waiting to cross the 100k mile point on my return from ZRH. I don't work for a major corp so I don't generally fly a latitude fare (though I'd love too)

as to The SE priority thing, booking class is an important point. In my original case where the FA was knew who had the higher ranking, we were booked on the same itinerary, so the fare class would have been the same, i'm pretty sure.

Here is one for you all, how about SE's in the back of the bus...one of the things I have always said, is that it would be nice of the FA's would give some recognition to us when we are back there. it almost feels like you're only an SE when you're front of the bus. what would it cost them (answer is next to nothing) for them to offer us the nicer wine or maybe acknowledge us. Anyone else with me on this, or am I just nuts...

Cheers
Old May 18, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by threevic
it is actually pretty easy to blow through those credits. 300k last year and about 95k now... if you take 1 round trip to europe per month, so I'm from winnipeg...that is 4034 miles from YYZ to ZRH and 933 miles from YWG to YYZ, so around 10k miles round trip and you earn 15 credits for every 20 miles... the round trip costs you 28 credits...thus why I have only 11 credits at the moment. waiting to cross the 100k mile point on my return from ZRH. I don't work for a major corp so I don't generally fly a latitude fare (though I'd love too)

as to The SE priority thing, booking class is an important point. In my original case where the FA was knew who had the higher ranking, we were booked on the same itinerary, so the fare class would have been the same, i'm pretty sure.

Here is one for you all, how about SE's in the back of the bus...one of the things I have always said, is that it would be nice of the FA's would give some recognition to us when we are back there. it almost feels like you're only an SE when you're front of the bus. what would it cost them (answer is next to nothing) for them to offer us the nicer wine or maybe acknowledge us. Anyone else with me on this, or am I just nuts...

Cheers
Actually, I was at the back of the bus twice this year and both times the SD came and introduced himself and made sure I was comfortable.
It was a nice touch after looking at aerolotto.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

aerolotto being upgrade selection at the gate? sorry new to board so not up on all the acronyms...

would be nice if that happened a little more often... with the 62 segments I've flown this year already and basically all of the domestic flights (about 40) have been back of the bus, never once got a hello or anything like that...if anything they look at me begrudgingly when I ask them to hang up my suite jacket
Old May 18, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
I have a question. I've been with aeroplan for two years now and have heard two different viewpoints on the following topic. I recently found this forum and figured I could get some clarity.

can a FA know who is a "higher ranking" if you will SE? I'm asking this taking out the MM factor because that would be seen on the manifest.

I've been told "no", a SE is a SE regardless of miles flown...recently however, I had a flight attendant tell me that his manifest told him that I had far more mileage than my colleague who is also a super elite and was traveling with me.

Truth is, he was my colleague had about 120k miles for last year and i had 300k
same this year, i'm at 96k and he's at 68k for the year.

thanks in advance for the answer. I'm pretty excited to have found this forum

Cheers
Pardon me asking, but what will be the difference if the FA knows who is a higher ranking? Will they give you an extra hot towel for being the highest tier?
Old May 18, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsm1928
Pardon me asking, but what will be the difference if the FA knows who is a higher ranking? Will they give you an extra hot towel for being the highest tier?
I have not been rude in my questions or responses, so I would appreciate the same. I would think this is a reasonable way to act.
Based on what I have seen here at this site, sometimes people ask questions just to know how things work. I spend a LOT of time on AC and I like to know how things work, how they tick...also, I like to know if I'm being feed BS. and that does happen.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zsm1928
You haven't seen this? Million milers get hot towels just before landing as well.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
You haven't seen this? Million milers get hot towels just before landing as well.

I wish. :-)

(Not seriously.)

BTW, the last five/ten flights I have taken, there was no special recognition of MM status.

(And if you look at the manifest that the SD has, only thing is status+MM. And the standby things, ML1, ML6... One time, I had one of these, and the FA asked if I was an AC employee.)
Old May 18, 2012, 11:25 am

I have not been rude in my questions or responses, so I would appreciate the same. I would think this is a reasonable way to act.
Based on what I have seen here at this site, sometimes people ask questions just to know how things work. I spend a LOT of time on AC and I like to know how things work, how they tick...also, I like to know if I'm being feed BS. and that does happen.
There are a few very rude people on this board that will critisize anything which suggest that AC is somehow in the wrong. Just ignore those people, there are plenty if normal FTers!.

To answer your question about aerolotto, it is used to refer to the sometimes completely random way the upgrades are (mis)handled and given out last second at the gate. It is like playing the lottery when you request one, you may win - you may not - but enjoy the game!
Old May 18, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

thank you

Hi mendy,

thanks for the reply and advice...i just didn't think we were still in grade 8 lol. Once my company starts makeing some serious money i'll start booking more latitude fares and then not blow through my credits so fast
Old May 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Hi mendy,

thanks for the reply and advice...i just didn't think we were still in grade 8 lol. Once my company starts makeing some serious money i'll start booking more latitude fares and then not blow through my credits so fast
If don't need the flexibility of latitude, you can often get Z and D fares for the same price or cheaper.
I try to buy a few trips in Z when it is cheap and use a 10-15 % code to make it even more affordable.
This way you save the upgrade credits and get the 25% class bonus so you reach the threshold faster and get more credits to use when T+ is much cheaper.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mendy7511
If don't need the flexibility of latitude, you can often get Z and D fares for the same price or cheaper.
I try to buy a few trips in Z when it is cheap and use a 10-15 % code to make it even more affordable.
This way you save the upgrade credits and get the 25% class bonus so you reach the threshold faster and get more credits to use when T+ is much cheaper.
not generally, just wanted to burn less points, but you're certainly right about booking the lower class exec class...thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Old May 18, 2012, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Academic
Our AC friends can confirm, but I don't believe the manifest shows any information other than status. This is not the case for *wood, however, where your points total does show on your file when you check-in.
You're right that *wood can see your total points but that doesn't mean much if you are redeeming regulary you may have few points. *wood divides Plat's into 5 categories, with 1 being the highest. The criteria is based on the rooms you book. If you book 75 nights in Best Avail Rate you will always be Plat level 5, if you are a celebrity and booking full price suites you will be a Level 1.
A manager at one W which became friends with me said I was a Level 5 and was able to bump me to a Level 4 even though I always book cheap rooms. I do notice that when I travel with other Plat colleagues, I always have a better room than them even though our travel agent books the same best available rate and we are both PLAT's.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE

Cheers
On flights to LHR when setting in economy FA often hands me and my family the immigration fast track card. This is nice. When they dont, I ask for it and I get it, although the fast track queue in LHR is often more crowded than the regular one.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
That would be a very deceptive measure given that basing something on one's current balance discounts any possible redemptions made through the year. My yearly balance generally hovers around 200K at any given time but I also redeem several 100K+ awards each year so I could potentially show 500K+ in at times were it not for those redemptions. MM is a more accurate measure, though it too is crude.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I spend a LOT of time on AC and I like to know how things work, how they tick...also, I like to know if I'm being feed BS. and that does happen.
Call the SE Desk 5 different times with a remotely complicated or novel question and you'll get at least 3 different answers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.