AC gives no leeway on tickets

Old May 16, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

Today I checked in for my LHR-YYZ-YOW flight when I noticed the direct non stop LHR-YOW left 15 min later. It used to leave much earlier which never really worked for me.

So I politely asked if I could be moved to that flight. Yes but with a change fee of some $150 or was it GBP? Having already paid a big change fee for my outbound, I was not about to pay another fee for this flight but I was surprised and disappointed with ACs tough stance on changing tickets as I thought my request was very reasonable esp for a SE and AC MM. No dice!
Old May 16, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
AC would rather keep you unhappy that save a few bucks by changing you to a direct flights.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

Why didn't you buy a more flexible fare in the first place with no change fees?
Old May 17, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: AC*SE
Welcome to any airline on earth. If you want flexibility buy a latitude fare and they will gladly exchange or refund as you like.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP was not about to pay "another change fee". You did pay originally and got what you wanted based on the fare that you paid.

Being polite is great as is being reasonable. ^

IMHO,ACs response is also reasonable.Were they polite?
Old May 17, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
One thing I like to do is look at the various flight options when I am actually booking the tickets.

In my experience that is the best time to decide which flights are the most desirable ones for me to take.

That way, I won't show up at the airport and realize that I didn't buy what I really wanted to buy, expect the airline to correct my error in a way that ignores the contract I purchased from them, and then embarrass myself on the internet when I complain about it.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I agree with above comments. That said, OP is AC MM. I would think AC could show a little more flexibility in this case assuming space is available on the other flight and there's still adequate time to do the change.

The rules are the rules and AC is right to stick by them. But status should have benefits and MM status in my mind should (within reason obviously) offer things like same-day change. To do otherwise is to imply that a MM is an E just the same as any other E which is simply not true.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I agree with above comments. That said, OP is AC MM. I would think AC could show a little more flexibility in this case assuming space is available on the other flight and there's still adequate time to do the change.

The rules are the rules and AC is right to stick by them. But status should have benefits and MM status in my mind should (within reason obviously) offer things like same-day change. To do otherwise is to imply that a MM is an E just the same as any other E which is simply not true.
Who in their right mind would pay a higher fare for a more flexible ticket if they can get that flexibility for free? This is especially true for those with status who presumably fly more.

Buying non-changeable tickets is always a gamble. If it works 90% of the time and 10% of the time you get nicked for change fee(s), it's still a good deal. If you are the type of traveler who makes routine changes, it's better to buy the more flexible fare.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
OP has a pattern of love/hate with AC. It's quite comical actually.

Just last week:

Got the Day liner today from YYZ to LHR, piece of cake. I think AC is the best. The meals were terrific and so was the service.

(s)he forgot to post the LMU price (what the LMU thread is all about!) at the end though...
Old May 17, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Try this sometime...

Go to Ruth's Chris Steak House. Order an appetizer, salad, and steak. Try to estimate when they will start cooking your steak. Then, about 5 minutes after that, call the waiter and ask if you can change your order. If they let you, they will at best have to hope another patron ordered the same steak around the same time and sort it our, or else just throw away the steak.

I'll bet they say "Sure, you can change your order."

Meanwhile, an airline can accommodate a passenger at zero cost, a regular customer, and they say "F*** off."

In another thread, a poster mentioned a delayed flight YOW-YYZ with an international connection, that led to a missed meeting in HKG. I'm reminded of a line from the movie "Full Metal Jacket" where Gunnery Sergeant Hartman says "Private Snowball, I think you're the kind who would" and I won't finish the line because it's way too graphic, but it continues "and not even have the courtesy to..." Yes, AC (and all the other airlines) aren't afraid to ... and not even have courtesy.

Where's the trade-off? For every time they can do something nice at no cost to themselves, there is a time a pax gets f***ed, perhaps not because of something AC did, but somehow somewhere something was in their control, and they give a crocodile tear over it. Who wants FF points, how about inconvenience points? How about a point for every hour that AC doesn't get you where you were going on time, they owe you an hour they go out of their way to get you there. What if the OP's YYZ-YOW connection is delayed or cancelled. Will he get another crocodile tear? Will they make up for the night he doesn't get to put his kids to bed? No, he'll get the phone number for "distressed passenger hotel rooms" in YYZ.

Where is Gunnery Sergeant Hartman when we need him?
Old May 17, 2012, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by redtop43
Try this sometime...

Go to Ruth's Chris Steak House. Order an appetizer, salad, and steak. Try to estimate when they will start cooking your steak. Then, about 5 minutes after that, call the waiter and ask if you can change your order. If they let you, they will at best have to hope another patron ordered the same steak around the same time and sort it our, or else just throw away the steak.

I'll bet they say "Sure, you can change your order."

Meanwhile, an airline can accommodate a passenger at zero cost, a regular customer, and they say "F*** off."

In another thread, a poster mentioned a delayed flight YOW-YYZ with an international connection, that led to a missed meeting in HKG. I'm reminded of a line from the movie "Full Metal Jacket" where Gunnery Sergeant Hartman says "Private Snowball, I think you're the kind who would" and I won't finish the line because it's way too graphic, but it continues "and not even have the courtesy to..." Yes, AC (and all the other airlines) aren't afraid to ... and not even have courtesy.

Where's the trade-off? For every time they can do something nice at no cost to themselves, there is a time a pax gets f***ed, perhaps not because of something AC did, but somehow somewhere something was in their control, and they give a crocodile tear over it. Who wants FF points, how about inconvenience points? How about a point for every hour that AC doesn't get you where you were going on time, they owe you an hour they go out of their way to get you there. What if the OP's YYZ-YOW connection is delayed or cancelled. Will he get another crocodile tear? Will they make up for the night he doesn't get to put his kids to bed? No, he'll get the phone number for "distressed passenger hotel rooms" in YYZ.

Where is Gunnery Sergeant Hartman when we need him?
Because OP chose to buy a non-changeable fare and then didn't want to pay the change fee. AC didn't deny OP the change, AC simply asked OP to pay the published tariff for the change. Where's the beef?
Old May 17, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Does it matter how long ago the tickets were booked? Was the 15 minutes later thing a 1 time delay or was it a recent schedule change?
Old May 17, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by RCyyz

Ticket is the ticket. Do you really want a dynamic rule list based on being E, SE, AC VIP, SE & MM, E & MM, etc...
Old May 17, 2012, 8:39 pm

I'm with OP. Make the customer happy. It costs nothing to AC. Probably even saves them a few bucks in fuel. If there's a free seat on the direct flight, let him have it.

They stand to lose a lot more than $150 in revenue if OP decides to fly BA or UA next time.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Today I checked in for my LHR-YYZ-YOW flight when I noticed the direct non stop LHR-YOW left 15 min later. It used to leave much earlier which never really worked for me.

So I politely asked if I could be moved to that flight. Yes but with a change fee of some $150 or was it GBP? Having already paid a big change fee for my outbound, I was not about to pay another fee for this flight but I was surprised and disappointed with ACs tough stance on changing tickets as I thought my request was very reasonable esp for a SE and AC MM. No dice!
While I am no expert, I do believe waiving tariffs and applicable change fees, excess baggage fees, etc, are not optional for the airlines, and would in fact be a violation of the IATA regulations.

Arbitrarily waiving any fee published in the tariffs is viewed as an attempt to garner competetive advantage over another (competing) airline.

As a result, if it were discovered it could attract fines for the airline doing it.

I believe this is why AC must uphold certain tariffs to avoid anti-competion complaints.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.