Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How are all you guys Elite and Super Elite??~

How are all you guys Elite and Super Elite??~

Old May 17, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Braindrain
The ability to sit up front has eased that pain but I really still hate it.
Oddly, for me, the flights I've enjoyed the best have been the ones where i'm sitting sideways on a transport plane, or similar. Admittedly, though, the absolute best was the summer I spent jumping on Blackhawks every other day as I travelled through the sandbox... I've read stories of how war correspondents become completely addicted to the life, and having done a bit of it myself now, I can totally understand.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Never had status when I worked as a consultant. But now as a graduate student I have generally clear over 150k miles per year for the last 2 years. Helps that school and work/family are across the pond. Love to travel but hate the YYZ-LHR redeyes as you cross 5 time zones in 6 hours and can barely sleep for more than 4 hours. The day tripper is much better though.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
I live in London, UK and fly back to BC two or three times a year. This year I will make Elite for the first time due to a few extra trips back. I fly intra-Europe for business which used to help but it's getting harder to avoid non-elegible fare classes on partner airlines. And now that BMI is gone it will be een harder as I fly to Dub a fair bit. So basically, its all a result of personal travel.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by corbylund
i figure not having children is the best thing one can do for the environment x1000.
Wowza - for a father or 2 that stings. That being said, I have heard it before and don't disagree entirely. Maybe my wife will win out now, and if/when another comes along she will get her name choice - little Corby M**** will arrive in style.

You are one of the greatest - a legend in my mind. Been a fan back to 91/92 living in Humboldt (I heard that Spy 66 had a get together last year in Saskatoon - not sure if it spawned anything more). The baselines are amazing. Still a huge fan - keep on spreading the good word, the real "good" word.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
National sales manager...

....so I have reps and distributors across the nation who need me to visit customers with them on a regular basis.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AC*SE HHgold
I like to travel and I like my family so I travel with them. Made it to SE for two years when we fell in love with the wide open space of Downunder. Cost me a lot because I paid for all the trips and all my holidays are unpaid. Thing are going to change as the kids are growing up and they probably like to go their own way without mom and pa.

Thanks to this tread. I may consider changing career to be a consultant and have all my trips paid by someone else.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by shore9
Agreed. If miles are what you really want, just churn CC's, it's easier and means you sleep in your own bed.

Don't let an all expenses business trip fool you, it's good for about the first 2 days and then you miss home.
+1.

I'm away from home for 17 full days in June. Even though I get to hit up the US and Europe, and fly J, it's going to be very tough with my 2 little ones left at home and wife busy with her career and juggling all of that.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I own an association management company. What is that you ask...

My travel is mainly domestic with three or four US trips per year and lately one international trip. All travel is T+ or Lat flight pass (YWG-YYZ) and my upgrade success domestically and internationally is very good.

I have been E for about seven or eight years (when did the Flight Passes launch?) and expect to end 2012 with 60,000 QM and 40 segments. Last year I made E with 50,000+ QM and 50+ segments.

Luckily most of my trips are just a night or two and I try very hard to plan travel around family commitments.
Old May 17, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC:SE, ICHG Royal Ambassador, NEXUS
Fly More...

Salesperson:

I cover North America plus one trip to Europe per year. SE the hard way (legs) usually by June.

I'd rather fly than drive. I have made many travel friends and every new city is an adventure.

Hint: dont stay at airport hotels. Go someplace interesting.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
Pick a career that you like, period. If it involves lots of flying, you'll love it for the first few years. If it doesn't, just do it on the side for pleasure. After you have kids, you're gonna hate flying for work...I can't imagine watching my kids grow up on Skype.
I worked in the airlines for 8 years and traveled extensively for work (I did a lot of small community flying that included significant sales & community relations work), so although not until I became a consultant did I acrue airline miles, I did acrue close to 1,000,000 holiday inn points. Ive twice commuted for work over 3 months each (not fun living out of a suitcase/hotel and only home with the family 1 day a week). I now travel 3-4 times a month, but since I'm a consultant, I work around my family's schedule. I'm able to coach my kids' sports teams, at all their school events and the flexibility of working from home enables me to do alot of things at their school that is otherwise impossible. But with that flexibility (or desire for it), I have alot of very early or very late flights. Its not uncommon to coach my sonss baseball game and then head to the airport for a 9pm flight out to a client.

The work and travel is definitely not for everyone. I'll end up pushing 125k miles flown this year (and not one leg beyond 1700 miles). I absolutely love traveling, to sit back and read a book while listening to music on my Ipod. I go through 100+ books a year thanks to traveling. I dont feel I've missed my kids growing up, but there is absolutely nothing more heartbreaking when a kid says "i dont want you to go" or "you have to leave again?"
Old May 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I'm only a P, but:

My day job is insurance, but I serve on the board of a national non-profit organization in an industry cognate to my own. That position takes me on three Canadian trips a year and one US one.

Combine that with one or two personal trips - usually to the US, next year overseas I hope - and opportunistically adding segments via connections where it makes sense - and I get enough segments to squeak into P.

It takes a lot of flying to be an E. That, or flying to some pretty distant places more than occasionally. Our proposed trip to SYD next year, I thought, would cinch me for E (at the 35,000 mile level anyway; alas, that is no longer E) but no such luck. My wife will be able to get P for the first time, maybe... and I'll still be a P too.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Astro1
Funny enough I am in the Hotel industry, Director of Hotel Operations for one of the Big Brands ( I dont say so I dont get inundated with questions on how come it takes so many stays to get status, how come i dont get upgraded everytime etc type of questions, or strangers asking for mates rates in time square for NY eve) I work in YYC but I am on a project team that goes to other hotels to review there operations as well as teach internal managment courses at various hotels. Most of my travel is to the USA last year and will be the same this year with a few trips to Middle east and Europe to assist in new opening's. 2 1/2 weeks per month on travel so I make it more on miles that segments. The one bad thing since I got the status accumulation bug is I dont get anything on my hotel stays. But it is offset by the extremely low rates at any of our 15+ brands in the company in 72 countrys. 5* hotel in Dubai last month cost me 103 usd a night for a corner 2 bedroom suite. So I can live without the miles on that part. As for the travel I truly enjoy it and could spend more time on the road if required. Have met great people in hotels and airports around the world and wouldnt trade for anything. Plus 1 trip a month I will stay at a competitors hotel in the city I am visiting to see what they are doing better or worse than us.
That's quite a bit of information for someone wanting to remain anonymous Obviously it's the Marriott with 18 brands... and hotels in time square. Hilton only has 10 brands and and Starwood 8 or 9...
Old May 17, 2012, 9:00 pm

Long-distance relationship, about 20k miles flying back and forth with some oddball routings to rack up a few extra status miles. Toss in a business trip to India and that got me E.

We're no longer long-distance, which is fantastic, except that I think I'll be lucky to make P this year...
Old May 18, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AC*SE MM Fairmont presidents club
just reading some of the replys

I'm a little disappointed in some of the colder answers... That said, i'm in venture capital...I have a few exploration companies that are publicly traded, so fundraising is a big part of what i do which at my level (venture/risk capital) its all a measure of trust so being face to face is huge.

When it comes to flying, sometimes I have 5-6 weeks stints where I am on the road as I like to tie the flights together and to exercise economies of scale.

I find you tend to become overly critical and a little jaded of the airlines, hotels etc as you expect a level of perfection that non frequent flyers wouldn't. this actually does suck...I can't tell you them amount of nights a plane has been my bed, which starts to hurt after a while.

Last year i did 296k miles for a total of 197 segments and didn't pay for 1 business class tix (trying to keep costs down.)...this year already at 100k, and now that an excellent opportunity has presented itself in south america...It looks like i'll be picking up the pace.

these perks and the special treatment makes sense to me as guys and gals over the 250k travelled miles per year are spending more time on a plane that the staff does, so you kind of do want it to feel like a second home.

that's my two cents
Old May 18, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by morphius909
+1.

I'm away from home for 17 full days in June. Even though I get to hit up the US and Europe, and fly J, it's going to be very tough with my 2 little ones left at home and wife busy with her career and juggling all of that.
Can totally relate. Three children 5 and under. Already 54 nights in Sheraton's alone this year. Away June 10-July 1. Costa Rica, Hong Kong among other places all in J but still away from home a lot. Bonus is between Delta and AC I can fly family many times with me on points. Gotta keep big picture front and centre or its cave time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.