Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best time to book a flight to Honolulu for Dec. 2012?

Old May 12, 12, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist

A friend of mine is getting married in Hawaii in late-December. Not so surprisingly, tickets for that time period will be expensive. I think the cheapest that I see out of YVR is just slightly over C$1000. Is it possible that some of the discount fares aren't released yet? Or C$1000ish for that time period reasonable?
Old May 12, 12, 6:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
A friend of mine is getting married in Hawaii in late-December. Not so surprisingly, tickets for that time period will be expensive. I think the cheapest that I see out of YVR is just slightly over C$1000. Is it possible that some of the discount fares aren't released yet? Or C$1000ish for that time period reasonable?
Discount fares may be offered, but closer to the holiday season.

It is not clear to me where you live? If you live in Vancouver, flying from Bellingham or Seattle is much cheaper than from YVR. Similarly, if you live in Toronto, flying from Buffalo is much cheaper.

If you live in Western Canada, than you may save by buying an AC Hawaii flight pass. From Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, 6 flight credits are $2170, before tax (but all other fees are included).The price is somewhat more expensive from other cities in Western Canada. If you fly often enough in North America, consider the transcontinental flight pass.

Check out the fares on Westjet - it is possible they may be cheaper.
Old May 12, 12, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG Gold
or use Aeroplan miles to redeem if you can find availability?
45000 miles isn't cheap (at 2cents it's worth $900)
Old May 12, 12, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Where are you looking for those flights?
I can't find a single flight OVER CAD$ 1000 in Y!
See the screenshot with the ITA search from YVR, SEA to HNL for Dec 2012, travel duration 2-9 days

Old May 12, 12, 10:06 am

Xmas to/from Hawaii is all about timing ....
TO Hawaii Dec 22/23/24/25 = expensive, 26 either way, 27/28 can find good deals, 29/30/31 expensive again.

If your dates are very firm and you need to travel To Hawaii Dec 24 and back JAn 2 (for example), you will want to book sooner than later.

Flexibility in dates means wait for sure . . .
Old May 12, 12, 10:31 am

OP, when are you planning to go exactly?
Old May 12, 12, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
Discount fares may be offered, but closer to the holiday season.

It is not clear to me where you live? If you live in Vancouver, flying from Bellingham or Seattle is much cheaper than from YVR. Similarly, if you live in Toronto, flying from Buffalo is much cheaper.

If you live in Western Canada, than you may save by buying an AC Hawaii flight pass. From Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, 6 flight credits are $2170, before tax (but all other fees are included).The price is somewhat more expensive from other cities in Western Canada. If you fly often enough in North America, consider the transcontinental flight pass.

Check out the fares on Westjet - it is possible they may be cheaper.
I actually do live in Vancouver and yes that's what I have been told as well. I don't really see the point of going to either BLI or SEA if the fare isn't significantly cheaper than to fly out of YVR.

I don't really fly around North America all that much. I do at most 2 flights within North America in a given year.

I think WestJet will only make sense if it's significantly cheaper than any of the *A members. If the price difference is small, I rather fly with a different carrier to collect miles.
Old May 12, 12, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tnkngn View Post
Where are you looking for those flights?
I can't find a single flight OVER CAD$ 1000 in Y!
See the screenshot with the ITA search from YVR, SEA to HNL for Dec 2012, travel duration 2-9 days

The wedding is on December 27th. The earliest I can leave Vancouver would be December 19th at around 7 PM. The latest that I have to get back to Vancouver is January 7th, 2013.

Also, the picture doesn't load up and my search yielded results of greater than C$1000 the other day. Maybe things have changed?
Old May 12, 12, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
Xmas to/from Hawaii is all about timing ....
TO Hawaii Dec 22/23/24/25 = expensive, 26 either way, 27/28 can find good deals, 29/30/31 expensive again.

If your dates are very firm and you need to travel To Hawaii Dec 24 and back JAn 2 (for example), you will want to book sooner than later.

Flexibility in dates means wait for sure . . .
OP, when are you planning to go exactly?
I've addressed the issue of dates in the post above. Thanks for the pointers and I'll try digging again. What is generally the lowest fare for that time of the year? $650-$750?
Old May 13, 12, 8:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
I've addressed the issue of dates in the post above. Thanks for the pointers and I'll try digging again. What is generally the lowest fare for that time of the year? $650-$750?
Right now, the base fare from either Bellingham or Seattle (return) is about $200 cheaper. Of course, the fees and taxes on an intra-US domestic flight are much less than on a transborder flight. So it is possible that the total fare, before any sales are factored in, may be $300 cheaper, from one of those 2 cities.

You may also want to try AC Vacations or Westjet Vacations or some combined flight/hotel/rental car fare, if you want an all-inclusive fare - then the flight cost might be considered to be much lower. Of course, you will not get any status miles, on AC Vacations - but you may get some amount of non-status Aeroplan miles.

You may want to register for the KVS tool, or expert flyer - to monitor these prices, across most airlines.

If you (or some acquaintance) have 45,000 Aeroplan miles, you can go to Honolulu on an award ticket.
Old May 13, 12, 10:26 am

On a similar note, I want to use Aeroplan to book a reward trip from YYZ-HNL, then KOA-YYZ during the last 2 weeks of December.

Right now, I can find SE priority seats for the dates I want, but only in economy.

Should I go ahead and book it...or will AC release more J seats for reward booking closing to the travel date?
Old May 13, 12, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Is that flight out of YVR worth 45000 miles or should I fly out of SEA?
Old May 13, 12, 5:31 pm

Of course, you will not get any status miles, on AC Vacations - but you may get some amount of non-status Aeroplan miles.
Since when do you NOT get any status miles on AC Vacation flights?
Just did a dummy booking YYZ-HNL, books into T class, so 100% status miles.
You may even earn 100% status miles with a Tango fare on AC Vacation flight acc. to the AP website, quote:

* International Tango fares exceptions: Earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles for travel with a Hong Kong or China Flight Pass purchased with the Tango fare option. Earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles with an Air Canada Vacation reservation booked in N,G,P or E booking classes for travel between Canada and the Caribbean or Mexico.

http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...da#CanadaandUS
Old May 14, 12, 5:31 am

Since when do you NOT get any status miles on AC Vacation flights?
Just did a dummy booking YYZ-HNL, books into T class, so 100% status miles.
You may even earn 100% status miles with a Tango fare on AC Vacation flight acc. to the AP website, quote:

* International Tango fares exceptions: Earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles for travel with a Hong Kong or China Flight Pass purchased with the Tango fare option. Earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles with an Air Canada Vacation reservation booked in N,G,P or E booking classes for travel between Canada and the Caribbean or Mexico.

http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...da#CanadaandUS
If you look at the link, it does state that one will NOT get status Aeroplan miles when flying economy (through AC Vacations) to Florida, Las Vegas, or Hawaii. This is the correct link:

http://www1.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...anadaVacations
Old May 14, 12, 6:14 am

If you look at the link, it does state that one will NOT get status Aeroplan miles when flying economy (through AC Vacations) to Florida, Las Vegas, or Hawaii. This is the correct link:

http://www1.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...anadaVacations
Hhhhhmmmm, just looked at the link I provided again, and yes you are correct, it states this:

"Aeroplan Miles and Aeroplan flight segments accumulated on most Air Canada flights are also Air Canada Status Miles and Status Flight Segments and qualify for Air Canada Top Tier status. Aeroplan Miles earned on Tango fares (G, P, E, N, T and K booking classes) and in O booking class (new booking class for travel as of August 28th, 2009 formerly known as X booking class - for flights within Canada and between Canada and the Continental U.S.A. (including Hawaii)) do not qualify for Air Canada Top Tier status, but are added to your overall Aeroplan Mile balance. Effective September 15, 2009, R booking class will no longer be used for Tango class. I booking class was converted to R booking class for all travel starting September 15, 2009. All new bookings requiring an upgrade will be booked in R class as of this date."

So if flying with AC Vacations, T and K class is a Tango fare, not Tango+ I supposed?!

Search this Thread