Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Redeem Amex points to a second Aeroplan card?

Question: Redeem Amex points to a second Aeroplan card?

Old May 11, 12, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Driver's Edge
Redeem Amex points to a second Aeroplan card?

Does anyone know if you can redeem Amex points for Aeroplan points on a card that isn't your own. My Aeroplan card has the bulk of points, but my spouse's has a small balance of 10,000, and we are looking at a 45k trip. I would like to redeem 35,000 of my Amex points but put the Aeroplan points on her number.

On the Amex site, it only is letting me register one Amex number, and I can't find a way online to change the number to her number. Before calling Amex, I wondered if anyone has experience with this.
Old May 11, 12, 1:25 pm

No can do.

The names must match both on your Amex account and Aeroplan account.

Although, if you have a SPG AMEX you can transfer your SPG points to your spouse as long as the address is the same on both SPG accounts. Then your spouse can transfer her SPG points into her Aeroplan account

You can also do this if you are earning AMEX MR points. Although, you will take a 25% loss transferring MR points to SPG. You are better off earning SPG points with AMEX SPG card where you get 1:1 ratio.

Plus keep in mind if you transfer 20K SPG points to AP you will get a 5K bonus for a total of 25K

Last edited by imverge; May 11, 12 at 1:31 pm Reason: Other transfer option added
Old May 11, 12, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge View Post
No can do.

The names must match both on your Amex account and Aeroplan account.

Although, if you have a SPG AMEX you can transfer your SPG points to your spouse as long as the address is the same on both SPG accounts. Then your spouse can transfer her SPG points into her Aeroplan account
Weeell, that was a quick shoot done! Thinkin' I was clever.

Any idea if the transfer is just for SPG Amex?
Old May 11, 12, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
Weeell, that was a quick shoot done! Thinkin' I was clever.

Any idea if the transfer is just for SPG Amex?
I thought you'd ask... Please read my edited post above.
Old May 11, 12, 2:23 pm

Note that the online transfer just cares about the Aeroplan number. I successfully moved ~30K of my dad's Amex points into my Aeroplan account.

However, you can only have one Aeroplan number registered with the Amex online transfer tool -- I don't know how my dad would go about getting that changed if he wanted to then transfer to his account. In our case it didn't really matter as he closed the account to set up for the next churn.
Old May 11, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You can obtain a supplementary AMEX card for whoever under your AMEX account and that person can officially transfer MR points from your account to his/her aeroplan as per T&C.
Old May 11, 12, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
You can obtain a supplementary AMEX card for whoever under your AMEX account and that person can officially transfer MR points from your account to his/her aeroplan as per T&C.
May not be free though -- wouldn't be in the FT spirit!
Old May 11, 12, 4:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Oh, cancel the supplementary card after a few weeks and get a partial (if not full) refund.
Old May 11, 12, 5:05 pm

Oh, cancel the supplementary card after a few weeks and get a partial (if not full) refund.
That's more like it!
Old May 11, 12, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
You can call Amex and ask them to take off the associated Aeroplan number for the online transfer. You might have to give them some sort of excuse but no real hassle for them to do it.

After the call sign into your Amex account online and you'll be able to add another aeroplan number. I believe it'll validate the aeroplan account as long as the last name and address match.
Old May 11, 12, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

She has a supplementary card, which is no charge with the Gold Rewards Card. Thanks, I will check that out.
Old May 11, 12, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: No pride in status
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
She has a supplementary card, which is no charge with the Gold Rewards Card. Thanks, I will check that out.
I was told it's not possible to transfer to supplemental cardholder aeroplan accounts.
Old May 12, 12, 1:19 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Allvest View Post
I was told it's not possible to transfer to supplemental cardholder aeroplan accounts.
I too was told this.
Old May 13, 12, 12:06 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by somedude3210 View Post
You can call Amex and ask them to take off the associated Aeroplan number for the online transfer. You might have to give them some sort of excuse but no real hassle for them to do it.

After the call sign into your Amex account online and you'll be able to add another aeroplan number. I believe it'll validate the aeroplan account as long as the last name and address match.
+1 try this....

Search this Thread