[Sat] Rome-Lisbon-Faro
[Fri] Faro-Lisbon-Rome
but if I combine them it's C$1921.88:
Code:
[Fri] Ottawa-Toronto-Rome
[Sat] Rome-Lisbon-Faro
[Fri] Faro-Lisbon-Rome
[Thu] Rome-Toronto-Ottawa
it's also C$1921.88 if I leave Ottawa on Saturday (no Saturday-night stay in Faro). I can see the mistake PTO is making (ITN is the same).

Are there any drawbacks to buying two separate tickets (or benefits to one combined)? And if there's a significant benefit to one, e.g. protection if the YYZ-FCO segment is delayed, is there any way to make this one $1500 ticket?

Thanks!
andrew
Old Oct 22, 01, 9:47 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
You've come across what is known as 'split-ticketing'. This is a very common method of getting a cheaper fare by circumventing restrictions on combining various different booking classes for different segments of a route. Every travel agent I know uses it routinely, and I've never heard of the airlines baulking at it,
even when both tickets are purely issued on one airline.

The drawback, as you've guessed, is that what is sauce for the goose (you) is sauce for the gander (the airline) in that if you get delayed for any reason on one ticket so that it affects the other, you are scr*wed,
at least in principle. In practice, your
mileage may vary but they are (used to be?) fairly lenient. Certainly they through-check luggage, and my boarding cards from the second ticket usually indicate I'm connecting.

In the end, think of the difference in cost as an insurance premium for peace of mind against the possibility of having to buy a new full-fare ticket if things go pear-shaped and the airline gets picky.

Old Oct 22, 01, 10:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
The missed connection issue is practically less of a problem if all travel is on the same airline or even the same alliance. I would think that an airline would look a bit silly arguing you should buy a new ticket when they were the ones that were responsible for the delay and your missed connex. Make sure the connect times are legal and consider if insurance can also assist here.
Old Oct 22, 01, 10:26 am

I've used split tickets many times. They are especially useful for getting from a legal stopover point to where you really want to go. In my case, the airlines have always honoured all legal connections, regardless of whether I am using one or two tickets.
Old Oct 22, 01, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I assisted friends in San Francisco in planning their Christmas holiday from SFO-YYC-YVR-SFO and tried to book AC all the way (on Expedia and Travelocity of course) and came up with a price of $800 CAD. So I began again with an open jaw for the SFO-YYC and YVR-SFO flights and then a one way from YYC-YVR and the price came down to $527 CAD. Do the airlines think we can't think of these additional ticketing options on our own and notice the large price difference?
Old Oct 22, 01, 10:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PointWeasel:
Do the airlines think we can't think of these additional ticketing options on our own and notice the large price difference?</font>
Probably the airlines can't think of these additional ticketing options, which is why they exist.
Old Oct 22, 01, 10:54 am
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! It would be AC metal to Rome and TP into Portugal. Am I likely to get boarding passes for TP segments in Ottawa?

I would expect a saving on something like back-to-back or playing other games, but I'm fully in compliance with the Saturday-night restriction in both cases.

I'm sure it's a legal connection since it's ticketable on one ticket, the connection is 1:25 in Rome and while I should breeze through Immigration, I have to take my checked bag through Customs, right? (Since I'm going to Portugal, which is also Schengen). Coming back, I'm stopping in Rome, so the connection is no big deal.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">insurance premium for peace of mind against the possibility of having to buy a new full-fare ticket if things go pear-shaped and the airline gets picky.</font>
Good point, although in this case full Y (if I leave Sunday, say) is $1215.80, only $30 more than including it in one ticket.

andrew
Old Oct 22, 01, 11:58 am

I would not worry about delays etc with regard to split ticketing. I have often used separate tickets between Europe and North America. I have had several occasions where there has been a major (i.e. overnight) delay. I have always been rebooked by the carrier responsible for the delay.

Also, I have been able to through-check baggage, and in most cases even get onward boarding passes. It is even possible to have the airline note your onward connection on the previous segment's file.
Old Oct 23, 01, 2:00 am

I'm fairly sure that they will check your bag all the way through, but I wouldn't count on getting all your BPs in YOW. When I fly YQT-YYZ-ORD-GRR, AC in YQT is unable to issue BPs for the ORD-GRR segment (AC codeshare on UA metal). I have to get the BP in ORD (this is pre 9/11). I think one could argue that AC has a closer alliance with UA than with TAP, so I wouldn't count on BPs. Maybe Ottawa can do things differently, though...
Old Oct 23, 01, 6:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Definitely wouldn't count on boarding passes but unless there are new security rules in place preventing it, they will check your bags through. I do this on my Canada to Africa runs when using split tickets.
Old Oct 23, 01, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Just watch the fare rules on the ROM-Portugal tickets. Some European carriers have ultra strict rules and if you miss you booked flight, you are out of luck. I believe this happened to Academic on one of his BD flights this year. I know BA's lowest priced tickets cannot be refunded and you cannot credit the value to another ticket if you miss your flight, now standby for earlier ones. Definitely no boarding pass onward in YOW, and new security may also mean no though bag check.
Old Oct 23, 01, 11:58 am
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks Shareholder, you're right the fare is pretty restrictive

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">CHANGES - BEFORE DEPARTURE - CHARGE 50 PERCENT FOR REISSUE/ REVALIDATION. PENALTY CHARGE DOES NOT APPLY TO INFANTS PAYING 10 PERCENT OF THE ADULT FARE. CHANGES - AFTER DEPARTURE - NOT PERMITTED.</font>
Interesting that it's a 10-day advance rather than 7-day (i.e. deadline is tomorrow not Saturday).

But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just fly through LHR: lots of Y seats on the direct flight (i.e. 40k award) and it's only $500 LHR-FAO.

I was looking forward to seeing Rome, but it was a chicken-egg thing, I was seeing Rome because it was my preferred connection point, not the other way around.

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old Oct 24, 01, 6:20 pm
msn

Sounds crazy, but check connections through Swiss territory - there have been some very good prices through there lately (Gee, I wonder why? )

Two of us connected through on TP to Lisbon for about $275 CDN each.
Old Oct 24, 01, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
Shareholder's mostly right. I was travelling on award tickets, not revenue, but in one case I missed a connection and BD wouldn't let me switch, and in the other I had another later flight and they wouldn't let me standby for an earlier one (both in what passes for J on European J)
Old Oct 25, 01, 4:51 am
msn

J within Europe is not worth it, whcih is why you will often see a tiny price differential on some flights - maybe $20. I flew to DUS once on LH - and no kidding - every row except the last three were "Business Class".

The only difference is the paper and a sandwich.

Search this Thread