Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

U.S. rivals try to keep Air Canada’s Washington plan from taking off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2397706/

As Air Canada applies to launch new flights from British Columbia’s most populous city to Washington, D.C., rival U.S. carriers are painting Lotusland as a small “local market” that is not on the same scale as the California destination.

The Canadian airline is seeking U.S. approval to introduce daily non-stop service between Vancouver and Reagan National Airport, backed by glowing letters of recommendation for Canada’s West Coast, including one from B.C. Transportation Minister Blair Lekstrom, who touts the ability to “ski, golf and sail on the same day,” and its “remarkable dining.”

But six American rivals are objecting to Air Canada’s plans, saying Vancouver would be merely a pit stop in the Canadian airline’s plans to siphon traffic from the U.S. capital and send passengers to Asia, bypassing U.S. connections.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Another "riled" thread, with a twist.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Well, the only honest application for DCA exceptions was AS with LAX, since they truly don't benefit very much from feed.

Don't tell me that UA won't hope for routings through ORD or SFO to Asia (or Europe, in the case of CHI).
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
We learned from the softwood lumber debacle that the value of the US President's signature on a trade agreement is lower than a snake's belly. I don't see why air travel would be any different. Simply can't be trusted to negotiate anything in good faith.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
And AC is pissed at Emirates.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
I don't know how much "funnelling to Asia" will be going on if they need to run an A319.

Can somebody more knowledgeable about this confirm my range suspicions?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
I don't know how much "funnelling to Asia" will be going on if they need to run an A319.

Can somebody more knowledgeable about this confirm my range suspicions?
Note the flight times though, west-bound in the morning (just in time for connections to Asia) and east-bound in the afternoon (after Asia arrivals). I don't really know how much they could really accomplish with an A319, but I think the O&D traffic for YVR-DCA is pretty low at best which should leave lots of seats for connecting passengers.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:40 am

This route sounds like a waste of money. UA flew to/from IAD several years ago. Anyone connecting to asia can do so through YYZ.
However more routes to/from YVR are a good thing....while they last.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^
Originally Posted by SFO777
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I don't blame the Americans.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
Anyone connecting to asia can do so through YYZ.
Yeah, because connecting in YYZ is such an enjoyable experience.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by tracon
Anyone connecting to asia can do so through YYZ.
Except for ICN. YYZ-ICN stops in YVR. You can save about 100 miles and 1 stop heading straight to YVR. In reality, how much traffic is there DCA-xxx-ICN? I doubt there is enough to justify a new route.

I think this could help the other way around. YVR-DCA-Africa.
Oh wait, this is DCA, not IAD.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
In reality, how much traffic is there DCA-xxx-ICN? I doubt there is enough to justify a new route.
Apparently KE thinks there is enough traffic as they have a daily IAD-ICN 77W nonstop.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not even remotely a similar situation. Nobody is pissed at anybody. Canada/US has an open skies treaty, and because of the DCA perimeter rule, each airline submits its proposal based on augmented slot allocation.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Not even remotely a similar situation. Nobody is pissed at anybody. Canada/US has an open skies treaty, and because of the DCA perimeter rule, each airline submits its proposal based on augmented slot allocation.
Don't get me wrong ACYYZ/SD, I'm not criticizing AC for trying. In fact, kudos and admiration for the chutzpah. But we all know what the deal is here. If there was enough YVR demand from DC and the southeast US, UA would have started IAD-YVR service years ago. I just find it amusing/ironic/hypocritical that AC peddles US-YYZ-Asia/Europe at discounted fares while railing against EK for doing essentially the same thing YYZ-DXB-the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.