Question: Traveling to London for Olympics

Old May 7, 12, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Traveling to London for Olympics

Hello:

New to Flyertalk but have been a lurker for sometime.

I am curious if anyone has suggestions on ways to get to London for the Olympics. It seems that almost all regular Aeroplan seats are blocked out and Classic Plus rewards are nearing the millions.

So I was trying to be creative; is it possible to book YYC-LON via an Asia destination (e.g.: YYC-NRT-LHR) on one reward? It seems that there are many Asia city-LHR routes available at regular mileage levels if I break down the search that way. All of the Canada-London are only Air Canada (no Start Alliance partners seem to be available).

Anyways, looking to book YYC-LON (Heathrow/Gatwick/City) leaving on the Wednesday, July 25 and retuning on Sunday, July 29. Dates somewhat flexible but I am hoping to find Opening Ceremonies tickets and would need to give myself at least an extra day to get there incase of any hiccups enroute.

Many thanks!
Old May 7, 12, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
You can purchase two separate awards YYC-NRT-LHR, but these would have to be separate.

Good luck!
Old May 7, 12, 11:07 pm

Why go to LHR and incur huge UK airport fees? Fly to Europe and take the Chunnel train, or at least fly to a European destination and catch a cheap connection to London ie: try BRU or CPH or GVA or MUC on AC or others
Old May 7, 12, 11:09 pm

I am curious if anyone has suggestions on ways to get to London for the Olympics.

Also have to say it...you're kind late with your booking aren't you? A lot of these flights disappeared last summer!
cheers and good luck
Stefan
Old May 7, 12, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984 View Post
You can purchase two separate awards YYC-NRT-LHR, but these would have to be separate.

Good luck!
Oh dear, that is what I thought. It looked like a great option if that was not the case.
Old May 7, 12, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sp4294 View Post
Why go to LHR and incur huge UK airport fees? Fly to Europe and take the Chunnel train, or at least fly to a European destination and catch a cheap connection to London ie: try BRU or CPH or GVA or MUC on AC or others
I guess when you only have a few days off and you need to be there for Friday, you do not want to spend every last second traveling and worrying that something will go wrong that will stop you from getting to the Olympic Games ontime. The earliest I can leave Calgary is at 1700 on Wednesday and the Opening Ceremony is Friday afternoon. Add a day to change time and that does not leave much room to be hopping around Europe to get to London with thousands of others...
Old May 7, 12, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sp4294 View Post
I am curious if anyone has suggestions on ways to get to London for the Olympics.

Also have to say it...you're kind late with your booking aren't you? A lot of these flights disappeared last summer!
cheers and good luck
Stefan
Unfortunately, last year it did not appear that I would be able to bid time off in July in the workplace that I work in. The summer months usually go to more senior folks in the company. However, it appears that I have just been able to secure the last week of July off with one of my vacation cycles and now it is a possibility that I can go. So the adventure starts now.
Old May 7, 12, 11:56 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by YYC009 View Post
I guess when you only have a few days off and you need to be there for Friday, you do not want to spend every last second traveling and worrying that something will go wrong that will stop you from getting to the Olympic Games ontime. The earliest I can leave Calgary is at 1700 on Wednesday and the Opening Ceremony is Friday afternoon. Add a day to change time and that does not leave much room to be hopping around Europe to get to London with thousands of others...
If you can leave one day earlier there's availability (in Economy class) on Tuesday night on AC from YYC-LHR. Otherwise be creative. Check UA's site for *A routings on other carriers. I think they might be a bit more comprehensive than Aeroplan's search engine. I'm traveling out Thursday evening 7/26 using miles on TAP Portugal from NYC-LGW with a connection in Oporto.
Old May 8, 12, 8:47 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am travelling to London July 23-29. I booked seats on AC to FRA (I live in YOW) and then am connecting on LH FRA-LGW on the way in and LHR-FRA on the way out.

I booked 1 seat in Exec using AP miles and booked another one the same itineray using US Miles. (For those interested taxes and fees were ~$900 for AP tix and ~$350 for US tix).

They key may be that I booked early (ie Nov 2011).

Though you should try thru FRA, CDG, BRU, CPH- (ie fly from Mainland EUR- not the train.) I knowthere was still some availability for award tix recently (FRA-LHR/LGW) as there was a schedule change.
Old May 8, 12, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
I'm with others on this one - don't fly to LHR but do fly to another European hub. From there, you could even fly to LCY which would be far more convenient than flying to LHR. (I'm assuming LCY is open during the Olympics.)
Old May 8, 12, 11:25 am

Fly into CDG, take the Chunnel into London and avoid any hassles with UK immigration lines.
Old May 8, 12, 11:38 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If you have/can convert points into AA miles they have a much better AAnytime award which is only double the points of a regular award for every last seat on the plane.

Or just route via asia with aeroplan. Will cost a bit more as you will pay for an asia award instead of europe, but it should only be 1 award.
Old May 8, 12, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I forgot completely!

You could do an Asia award. YYC-NRT point of turnaround (>24 hours usually) NRT-Europe stop -YYC
Old May 8, 12, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
In the award that jlisi is suggesting, I would do:
YYC-(YVR)-SFO-NRT UA
NRT-IST-LHR on TK
open jaw to AMS-FRA-ORD-YYC.
Old May 8, 12, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yeah, I was also going to suggest a mini-RTW routing. The overall miles used is higher but it's nowhere near the ClassicPlus levels.

Search this Thread