Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:56 pm

I've found 2 economy seats on LOT45 from WAW-YYZ in August, but they're not showing up on the Aeroplan website and when I called in I was told that there was no availability. Was the rep right, or do I just need to find someone more knowledgeable to talk to at the call centre?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by anorg90
I've found 2 economy seats on LOT45 from WAW-YYZ in August, but they're not showing up on the Aeroplan website and when I called in I was told that there was no availability. Was the rep right, or do I just need to find someone more knowledgeable to talk to at the call centre?
how did you find those? If on ANA/United - then Aeroplan should have them.
If you found them on LOT/LH's search - those are for M&M members only.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
how did you find those? If on ANA/United - then Aeroplan should have them.
If you found them on LOT/LH's search - those are for M&M members only.
Found on ANA tool - kind of suspected they should have them but was told no. Is the best strategy to just HUACA and/or ask for a direct sell?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:52 am

I feel like some carriers have even higher YQ nowadays compared to last year.
I searched for award flights that involve TG, OZ, and NH, and the YQs seemed higher than what I paid previously.
Grrr...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by anorg90
Found on ANA tool - kind of suspected they should have them but was told no. Is the best strategy to just HUACA and/or ask for a direct sell?
Same thing happened to me for some SQ and UA flights... Just politely HUACA, on my second try, the rep had to "do something manually" to get it. But was eventually able to get me the seats
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Damn! I didn't really realize how this worked, I was always just basically satisfied with 50,000 +$300 to go YVR-MDE, I just played around, steered clear of any AC flight and found 50,000 +$165 checked on another route that was YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE-PTY-CUN-PHX-YVR (an interesting route, looks like fun to me even though MEX sucks) and only YVR-MEX was AC...$279, amazing 1 flight added $114 I will be VERRRRRY choosey with my award bookings when I start making them. Great thread.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Damn! I didn't really realize how this worked, I was always just basically satisfied with 50,000 +$300 to go YVR-MDE, I just played around, steered clear of any AC flight and found 50,000 +$165 checked on another route that was YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE-PTY-CUN-PHX-YVR (an interesting route, looks like fun to me even though MEX sucks) and only YVR-MEX was AC...$279, amazing 1 flight added $114 I will be VERRRRRY choosey with my award bookings when I start making them. Great thread.
Yeah, exactly. This thread has helped me a lot, and not just for AC but for other airlines too (as they are similar).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I feel like some carriers have even higher YQ nowadays compared to last year.
I searched for award flights that involve TG, OZ, and NH, and the YQs seemed higher than what I paid previously.
Grrr...
Yes YQ keeps rising and also check if you have any AC segments before these other flights as AC often will ding you based on their insane YQ formula for other non AC segments (whatever that is) ie: first segment is AC TPAC
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:56 am

If on a return flight, and AC is the last segment, will you still get dinged the AC YQ?
I'm trying to figure out where the YQ is getting charged on an itinerary ($270)
YYC-ORD (UA)
ORD-JRO (UA/ET)

JRO-YYC (ET/AC)

$550 total fees (LHR stop on the return).
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
If you are flying JRO-LHR with ET and LHR-YYC on AC that is definitely all of the YQ... in fact I am surprised it is only $270.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm working on an award Eurotrip at the moment, found the following:

YYZ-WAW return on LO, direct, is 90K plus $210 YQ
YYZ-WAW return on AC + LO, via FRA, is 90K plus $1100 YQ

YYZ-ZRH, out on TK via IST, back on SR, is 90K plus $120 YQ
YYZ-ZRH, on AC + LH, is 90K plus $1100 YQ

From reports that TK and SR's business product is better than LO's, our trip to Munich will now go YYZ-ZRH and we'll take the train from Zurich to Munich for about the same as the YQ on the ZRH-MUC leg alone.

Last edited by YOWgary; Jun 22, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvrgary

From reports that TK and SR's business product is better than LO's, our trip to Munich will now go YYZ-ZRH and we'll take the train from Zurich to Munich for about the same as the YQ on the ZRH-MUC leg alone.

The LO reports are likely old. The 787 product is exactly like TK - same catering company, same seat. I'd probably rank LX>TK=LO>>>>>AC, especially if you have two people together.

In the end I'd take either LO, LX, TK, depending on convenience of flights, timings, etc.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Who's SR? If its SWISS, their business seat is just like the one everyone's complaining about on AC's 777HD. And as noted, LO is now flying its 787s to NAmerica so you'd have a respectable business class seat.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Who's SR? If its SWISS, their business seat is just like the one everyone's complaining about on AC's 777HD. And as noted, LO is now flying its 787s to NAmerica so you'd have a respectable business class seat.
If it's the "J-pod" AC have been flying for the last four or five years, it suits me fine. I'd really like to try the 787, but the LO trip reports I've read haven't grabbed me.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's the "J-pod" AC have been flying for the last four or five years, it suits me fine. I'd really like to try the 787, but the LO trip reports I've read haven't grabbed me.
No, its the AC J 777 HD, not the pod.

I have no idea what didnt 'grab you' but there is no way in hell, AC is worth $1000 more over the LO 787.

I flew two LO J TATL flights last year - and both were above average, sure, its not SQ, but still leaps and bounds above AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.