Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Perhaps if you could also post your previous charges breakdown, then we can truly compare?

There's no winning when it comes to AC charging us fees @@
Here's the old charges, copied and pasted from my AE itin:

*Fare calculation:
12FEB14YWG UA X/CHI UA CHS R0.00UA X/CHI UA X/YTO AC YWG
R0.00CAD0.00 END ROE1.00 XT5.40XA7.50XY5.90YC29.00SQ3.59XG
36.80US0.52RC27.00YQ7.50YR XF4.80ORD4.50
12FEB14YWG UA X/CHI UA CHS R0.00UA X/CHI UA X/YTO AC YWG
R0.00CAD0.00 END ROE1.00 XT7.50XY5.90YC5.40XA
Pretty steep jump for the same route seven months later.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The only thing that should not be charged is the $37.60 US transport tax. I have no idea where AC is sending that money - but it sure isnt to the US government, as its not required on award (zero price) tickets.
It might have something to do with AC and Aeroplan being separate entities. Since Aimia buys the award ticket from AC at non-zero price they have to pay the tax.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TelFunku
It might have something to do with AC and Aeroplan being separate entities. Since Aimia buys the award ticket from AC at non-zero price they have to pay the tax.
BA Also charges higher actual taxes than the same itin on AA. Not sure if the Avios program is seperate like Aeroplan.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Strategies to Minimize Surcharges - Fuel Tax etc - both revenue and Aeroplan tickets?

We plan to book an award in business class for my daughter (myself and my wife will be in paid business class) for my daughter's 2 week March break, stopping in both DXB and IST.

I did a dummy booking on the Aeroplan award web site yesterday - for such a booking - taxes and fees (depending on the routing) are $1100 - $1200, of which $450 was charged in each direction as a fuel surcharge. The airlines booked included AC, LH, and TK - all of which Aeroplan collects surcharges on their behalf.

I did a second dummy booking - YUL to ZRH on an Aeroplan award in LX business class - surcharges were about $105. Add a YOW to YUL AC flight, to the 2 LX flights, then the fuel surcharge kicks in at about $200 in each direction, for a total of $550 for all taxes and fees and surcharges.

Ideally, I would want to go via LX - for an Aeroplan award - no fuel surcharges - but awards are few and far between on my itinerary - whether leaving from/arriving to Canadian or US cities.

I am not too excited about going on UA or US (I do not know if US will still be part of Star Alliance in March).

I believe that Aeroplan charges fuel surcharges on behalf of LH and OS. I am not sure about SN.

I do not want to go via LHR - extra airport surcharges there, especially for business class flights. But there seem to be more transatlantic and intraEuropean flights to/from LHR.

It seems to me that most airlines departing from either Canada or from USA have the same degree of transatlantic fuel surcharge - for revenue tickets - so I am not sure if I save on fuel surcharge by selecting airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
TK does not have surcharges and flies to IST directly from many major North American cities.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I do not know if US will still be part of Star Alliance in March
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...newslink_21222

When will US Airways exit Star Alliance?
On March 30, 2014, we’ll exit Star Alliance. Until that time, you’ll be able to enjoy all Star Alliance benefits, including:
1. Priority recognition when flying on Star member airlines
2. Star Gold benefits such as priority check-in, priority boarding and lounge access
3. Ability to earn miles when flying on any Star Alliance member airline (miles will count toward Preferred status)
4. Ability to book award tickets on any Star Alliance airline. Award tickets booked on Star member airlines will be honored for up to one year (some relationships will continue)
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:31 pm

Are there any non-YQ carriers aside from UA/US that fly from YYZ to UK/Europe 1? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out an itinerary that doesn't involve a stop in the USA, and the availability near the end of August/early September for those two airlines is pretty sparse.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jcoop
Are there any non-YQ carriers aside from UA/US that fly from YYZ to UK/Europe 1? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out an itinerary that doesn't involve a stop in the USA, and the availability near the end of August/early September for those two airlines is pretty sparse.
LO is really low.
LX from YUL
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:48 pm

Thanks!

I should have mentioned I'm trying to get YYZ-LHR. Seems like my only option is to fly UA via IAD, or make an exploratory call to the call center. Even looking at YUL-ZRH gives me only a choice of AC or LH across the ocean...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcoop
Thanks!

I should have mentioned I'm trying to get YYZ-LHR. Seems like my only option is to fly UA via IAD, or make an exploratory call to the call center. Even looking at YUL-ZRH gives me only a choice of AC or LH across the ocean...
YYZ-WAW-LHR or even YYZ-IST-LHR are all valid routings.
Otherwise YYZ-IAD/EWR/ORD-LHR, you will have to decide whether an extra stop is worth saving $900 to you.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:12 pm

Those don't seem to be valid on the website, but I'm guessing that the call centre will be more accommodating?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Try searching YYZ-WAW, then WAW-LHR separately under the multicity function, with a simple LHR-YYZ on the return - it gives you the LOT option. Same for IST/TK, only this one costs more miles.

Personally, I'd just fly UA through IAD.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes
Is there a rule to the 'sometimes' (eg., if I fly AC YVR-YYZ, but I'm doing SYD-YVR-YYZ-Europe-Asia-SYD on non-YQ charging carriers, then do I pay for the whole route?)
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Is there a rule to the 'sometimes' (eg., if I fly AC YVR-YYZ, but I'm doing SYD-YVR-YYZ-Europe-Asia-SYD on non-YQ charging carriers, then do I pay for the whole route?)
This is very ambiguous, and you never know until you book. Most likely if your YYZ-Europe, or for that matter Asia-SYD are scamchargeable, you will get dinged for YYZ-SYD YQ - or you will get dinged for YYZ-Europe, BKK-SYD, which may actually be more.

There are instances when this works for you, for example YUL-ZRH-HKG, gets the govt regulated HKG YQ. But most of the time, this works against you, like YYZ-NRT-AKL for example, you get dinged AKL YQ

If just your first domestic segment is on AC - you dont have to worry, for example YYZ-SFO-NRT (AC/UA) will only be $27
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu

There are instances when this works for you, for example YUL-ZRH-HKG, gets the govt regulated HKG YQ. But most of the time, this works against you, like YYZ-NRT-AKL for example, you get dinged AKL YQ
Even for HKG I've found the lower YQ does not apply if routing over the Atlantic, only if over the Pacific.

I've priced out HKG-MUC-YYZ without a stopover in between and get a YQ of $436.20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.