Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Another YQ Question

If I book a multicarrier award and the first leg in is on one of the carriers that does not charge YQ then is the YQ charge by Aeroplan avoided? thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
No it is usually done leg by leg. I.e. they will add up the YQ however there are multiple ways around this like flying to cities which do now charge tax/do not allow this such as GIG and HKG. So even if you fly on AC to those cities you will not pay YQ
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
No proof Shareholder but the good roman principle of "cui bono" works 99,999%.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
SE: Carrier Surcharge (YQ only) Waiver on Flight Rewards - International

One of the SE privileges is the Carrier Surcharge (YQ only) Waiver on Flight Rewards - International. While the benefit states "For Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards reservations made as of March 1, 2015, enjoy a carrier fuel surcharge (YQ only) waiver for travel within Canada and international destinations on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge," does anyone have experience with another airline (one that would normally incur a YQ charge) not assessing the surcharge?

I am thinking of a multi-segment trip where most of the segments are on AC or the airlines without YQ, but one segment on an airline with YQ.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I am thinking of a multi-segment trip where most of the segments are on AC or the airlines without YQ, but one segment on an airline with YQ.
My experience booking for SE clients is that AC+shorthaul LH in Europe were not charged any YQ. But AC+TG in Asia was. YMMV.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
My experience booking for SE clients is that AC+shorthaul LH in Europe were not charged any YQ. But AC+TG in Asia was. YMMV.
Thanks! I suspected it may be a YMMV, as so many Aeroplan experiences are.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:17 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
New option out of YYZ

Brussels Airlines will start flying out of YYZ 5 times a week. This comes after Jet pulled out of the BRU-YYZ market.

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-c...m:354-36453-16
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Brussels Airlines will start flying out of YYZ 5 times a week. This comes after Jet pulled out of the BRU-YYZ market.

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-c...m:354-36453-16
Yes, new options to Europe instead of JFK/IAD-BRU only
I'll update my thread also
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

I just booked two J tickets on ANA, YVR-HND return and there was no YQ. Taxes and fees only about $76 each. OTOH though, 150k AP miles for a flight in J that is shorter than YVR - FRA which is 140k in F. that irks me.
I was looking at different destinations in Japan and none seemed to have YQ. does this mean that NH can be added to the "little or no fuel-surcharges" list?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I just booked two J tickets on ANA, YVR-HND return and there was no YQ. Taxes and fees only about $76 each. OTOH though, 150k AP miles for a flight in J that is shorter than YVR - FRA which is 140k in F. that irks me.
I was looking at different destinations in Japan and none seemed to have YQ. does this mean that NH can be added to the "little or no fuel-surcharges" list?
Interesting, let's poke around

YYZ-HND R/T, on AC metal both ways (not NH)
dBlack
70K miles + $83, nice
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax $3.25
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Japan Passenger Facilities Charge $29.00
Total airport taxes, fees and surcharges (CAD)$83.16
Classic
75K miles + $83, No YQ, WOW.....what's going on

YYZ-PVG still has $370 YQ, so it's not systemwide
HND/NRT-YYZ one-way also has YQ of $79
YYZ-HND/NRT one-way has no YQ, and I guess that makes return also YQ-free

Last edited by jerryhung; Dec 21, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:38 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Aeropesos are not worth what they used to . Im realizing that also. Time to stop hoarding em , Ive just started liquidating my 1.56 million
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by BenSenise
There is absolutely YQ on NH. Booked a few intra-Asia and domestic segments on Dec 14 and paid YQ.

KIX-HKG-HND Carrier Surcharge $33.40

NGO-HKD Carrier Surcharge $6.60
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE
YQB-BCN award flight

I'm trying to find options for YQB-BCN roundtrip for late August, 2 weeks, 2 persons, Y or PY. Of course, Aeroplan gives me options with Rouge with >1000$ in fees. I know UA flies EWR-BCN direct but am not able to get UA.com to price out the whole itinerary correctly. Can someone help or propose a better option?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:54 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by jasdou
I'm trying to find options for YQB-BCN roundtrip for late August, 2 weeks, 2 persons, Y or PY. Of course, Aeroplan gives me options with Rouge with >1000$ in fees. I know UA flies EWR-BCN direct but am not able to get UA.com to price out the whole itinerary correctly. Can someone help or propose a better option?
You'll likely have to phone this in, once you have found flights on UA or Aeroplan EWR - BCN and separately YQB - BCN.

Any other routing will give you an extra stop in Europe, such as SN out of YYZ, or LX out of YUL etc...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by beep88
There is absolutely YQ on NH. Booked a few intra-Asia and domestic segments on Dec 14 and paid YQ.

KIX-HKG-HND Carrier Surcharge $33.40

NGO-HKD Carrier Surcharge $6.60

ANA recently eliminated YQ on most flights, see http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_co...fuelsurcharge/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.