Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:15 pm
alc
Original Poster

Air Canada eBoutique

Found this on the main page on web page:

The new Air Canada eBoutique is officially open

And you can earn Aeroplan Miles:

Aeroplan Miles: Unless otherwise specified on the Air Canada eBoutique site, one (1) Aeroplan Mile will be awarded for each two (2) Canadian dollars spent for all qualifying and participating transactions excluding taxes, shipping fees, custom duties or any other type of surcharge. All participating gift cards are excluded from earning Aeroplan Miles.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't get it. Why would an airline get into the business of selling consumer products?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:26 am

Too make money - duh

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I don't get it. Why would an airline get into the business of selling consumer products?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:27 am
alc
Original Poster

I forgot what they call that magazine (SkyMall???) when I was on the UA or US Airway flights and they sell a lot of things too. Not sure if a lot of people actually buy those items off that magazine, but I guess Air Canada want to see if it also help them as some more revenue.

I wonder who is AC partner with for this eBoutique.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:18 am

Aren't their prices outrageous though? I would believe that'd ward off those wanting to buy the stuff up in the air.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:21 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Nero fiddled while Rome burned...... what a waste of resources
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
You get a special promo code if you buy a toaster.
http://eboutique.aircanada.com/produ...ter-white.html
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
lol, welcome to FT!

depending on their sourcing agreements the eBoutique store might be a preview of what AE then offers for redemption if they can't return them to the vendor
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If they start a 30 miles per dollar spent promo I may be interested, but other than that no way.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If they start a 30 miles per dollar spent promo I may be interested, but other than that no way.
that'll generate huge sales, 10x estore seemed to drum up enough business

put me down for a toaster when it's 30 miles per dollar
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:15 am
alc
Original Poster

I had a number of questions on eBoutique, but my thought is that not a lot of people will know the answers to my questions here, therefore I made a purchase myself to find the answers. Now I gone thru it once, thought to share with the group:

- Purchased a "Pottery Barn $50 Gift Card"
- I paid by my AMEX Gold Rewards
- Desc of this gift card is "This gift card is available solely in US currency and redeemable in the United States only. Shipping availability: Canada & USA. Earning Aeroplan Miles is not applicable for all eBoutique gift cards."
- Also is "Receive a 2$ eBoutique Promo code at check out for your next purchase"

Outcome:

- It costed me $50 in CAD for this $50 USD Giftcard.
- It did say CAD all over when I checkout, but I do question as it did state in "US currency" on the desc... we all know how well AC IT can be on their web site
- There is no S/H fee
- So with me paying CAD for a USD gift at 1 to 1, it is better than the exchange rate as of Friday (June 21) closing rate USD -> CAD (1.0456). Hence depending how the canadian exchange rate is going at the time, you can actually save money.
- I only earn a total of 50 AMEX MR, so NO double points. That I was hoping will show under Travel for 2X the points
- The "2$ eBoutique Promo code" can be use on next purchase, but exclude giftcard. But you are allow to use mulitple codes at the same time. Detail here
- So, if I get enough of these codes, I can get something for free (maybe I need to pay the TAX, that I am not sure yet)

In Summary, I actually found not bad at all to buy giftcards, especially the one outside of Canada. They have a few International Giftcard too, like Galeries Lafayette 50€ for CAD$70. And also those eB dollars can add-up.

I am thinking even for Gift Cards within Canada, i.e. those one that I could pick up at Shoppers or ESSO, need more thought, but here are my calculation so far based on a $50 gift card:

- I lose 2X double AMEX MR, so I lose 50 AMEX MR. I value $0.01 per MR, so I lose $0.50
- If it is a GC that I normally get it at ESSO, I will lose 16 AP. I also value $0.01 per AP, so that $0.16
- If it is one that I pickup at Shoppers, I lose 500 Optimum Points, which I is roughly value of $0.90 ($170 / 95000 x 500)

So, it will either be $1.40 / $0.66 for the $2 eB dollars.

Of course some will say both AMEX MR or AP can worth more than $0.01. So that is only my own conclusion base on how much I value my points, you could have a different calculation than mine. My intension is just share my information to all that hopefully can help someone that might have the same questions that I have.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
It's dead, Jim.

Air Canada pulled the plug today.

Dear Air Canada eBoutique member,

Please note that as of June 1, 2017, we will no longer be operating as the “Air Canada eBoutique”. However, rest assured we will continue to operate our online store and accept eBoutique Dollars. Therefore, as of June 1, 2017, our current site address (eboutique.aircanada.com) will be migrated to the following new URL address: www.luggageselector.com. We hope that it will become your new destination of choice for all things travel.

Did anyone actually use this?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I actually had some success with eboutique around 2014 or so. I remember alc's post above about the dollar exchange rate and the same thing happened to me with Home Depot cards. I bought one for $100 to see if it worked.

Basically I paid $100 CAD and obtained $100 US home depot card and 50 miles. I did it about 10 times and then the project I was working on was finished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.