Search

Same Day Standby Off Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2001, 6:54 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Same Day Standby Off Yesterday

Tried to deny me same day standby but they checked rules and as long as you were ticketed by yesterday, you are OK for discount fares.

After October 11, you will have to pay. Agents were complaining (as I predicted) about negative (hostile) reaction from customers.

As an aside -- a gate agent said "well you should feel more sorry for me. Being laid off after 21 years. The problem is we gave away too much for free.'
Old Oct 12, 2001, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It appears that the fare rules for "L" class and likely "Q" class fares have now been modified to forbid standby. Stupid in my opinion but it appears that AC is bent on driving away those that remain willing to travel these days.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:33 am

I wish these agents wouldn't be so hard on themselves. They are being laid off because the company was mismanaged, not because someone "gave away too much for free". Agents, cabin crew, and lounge attendants that go out of their way to give that little bit extra are the ones that encourage customers to stay in the fold. AC's most valuable assets at a time like this are human. It is sad that someone with 21 years of service would be handed their hat, these cuts must be pretty deep if Milton is going that far.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 8:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

On my way back, I pre-empted the inquiry and said that the ticket was issued prior to October 11th so it is still eligible for standby. The agent said "Oh you are aware of the change and since you seem to know the rules so well I won't bother to look them up. (she was just about to look it up)". She politely and with a smile put me on the standby list.

I went to the MLL and was posting the post above when the concierge came and found me (how do they know who you are?) and said "I understand you are looking for a standby on the 5:30 flight. Give me your boarding pass and I will fix it up. She walked all the way down to the gate, the furthest one from the lounge, and back while I had a Big Rock Traditional and watched CNN and the latest problems of the day. She returned in 10 minutes with my boarding pass for the flight I wanted, no standing by!!! Now that's the kind of service I remember. Everyone was smiling and helpful in Edmonton, despite the obvious strain of impending layoffs.

I told the concierge I was heading to LHR tomorrow and YOW on Monday and party time in TUS at end of October. She said most SEs seem to still be flying as much as ever but that other areas are definitely down.

On another positive note, the little Fokker back to Calgary was almost full, except for the empty middle seat next to me !!!
Old Oct 12, 2001, 9:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

. . . oh and there is no standby when you have checked luggage. Don't know if that is new or not as I never have checked luggage when standing by.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 9:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I can live with the non standby provision for some fares (it has been on N fares for some time now) but I do not like them not publishing this most important rule as part of your ticket. The only easy place to find this rule is on Travelocity. Other rules (e.g. routing) you can only find on Expedia.

These rules should all be plainly visible for purchasers to see whether they buy a ticket from Air Canada's ticket office or do it on Air Canada's website. The lack of clarity about rules and fare classes is what p*sses people off.

Guess I will have to start driving between Calgary and Edmonton again. I have a $$ pain threshold for some destinations. Short haul like YYC-YEG is around $200. V (and even Q) fares kick it over the edge.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:51 pm
exAC

BB:
I read a post of yours a week or two ago when you laid out the time line of a day trip YYC-YEG and return. I wondered if you could not have driven it just as fast and convieniently.

Then last week I did the same trip but in reverse and when I woke up from my little nap on the descent into YEG I knew why we pay more to fly. That little nap was worth alot more than a coffee and donut in Red deer.

Now I am wondering again about the next trip, Will I fly or drive?

Old Oct 13, 2001, 4:37 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I know I can sometimes drive it faster than flying (perhaps not legally ) but flying definitely has some advantages--being able to work (but I can also do that on Red Arrow) and you can avoid some of the snowstorms and treacherous winter driving (rare events in Alberta) and the most important one that you pointed out exAC--the ability to NAP!!
Old Oct 13, 2001, 7:20 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
BB - what are the new rules? Is it only Q and L, or are V, H, etc included
Old Oct 13, 2001, 8:23 am
Original Member
Original Poster

You have to check the fare rules on Travelocity for each type. So far it looks like no standby on N, L and Q fares.

Standby still exists on V fares that I looked at but obviously I haven't checked them all.

When you go to a kiosk with an L fare, it will not prompt you for "Standby Flight?"
Old Oct 13, 2001, 8:43 am

On my western trips, I've taken the habit of driving between Calgary and Edmonton. From airport to airport, it's 2 hours non-stop (though I usually stop at Chapters in Red Deer to stretch my legs and use the facilities). Yeah, I'd rather be reading or sleeping, but I also give up a lot of hassle as well.

Tom
Old Oct 13, 2001, 12:08 pm

Since we're on the subject of revised fare rules & work'ability/nap'abaility while flying vs. donut/coffee in Red Deer (which I fondly remember while being the acting chauffeur for my father in the summer months as he attended 2-3 meetings/week in Calgary while we lived in Edmonton many years ago) I recall a nice "cheat sheet" of the various service classes (i.e. J, Y, C, etc.) posted. It seemed to suggest the order of cost, upgradability, restrictions, etc. but I can't seem to find it now. Might be nice to re-post with the updated rules & standby regs.

Help...

[Edited for typos/clarity]

[This message has been edited by Dogstar (edited 10-13-2001).]
Old Oct 13, 2001, 1:14 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">When you go to a kiosk with an L fare, it will not prompt you for "Standby Flight?" </font>
Actually if you are travelling on L & Q fare and choose the upgrade and standby option, it will still take you through the usual steps. However, when the GA starts processing it, they will check the fare basis.

Old Oct 13, 2001, 1:20 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I recall a nice "cheat sheet" of the various service classes (i.e. J, Y, C, etc.)</font>
J - Full Fare Business Class

C - Upgraded Business Class or Discount Business Class on selected routes (YYZ-HNL...)

D - Award Business Class

Y - Full Fare Economy Class, upgradeable for all tiers with the appropiate certificates at the appropiate time before departure.

M - Close to full fare Economy Class, Elite can upgrade M fares on all AC flights except to Europe. SE can upgrade M fares on all AC flights. P can upgrade M fares on domestic flights.

B, H, V - Discounted Economy Class. Elite can upgrade on these fares for domestic and transborder flights (exclude HNL). SE can upgrade on these fares for all AC flights. P cannot upgrade on these fares.

W - Award Economy Class.

==Standby allowed on the above fares==

Q, L, N - Discounted Economy Class. These fares are not eligible for upgrades by any tiers. No standby allowed on these fares.

Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 10-13-2001).]
Old Oct 13, 2001, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Well done, Empress.

I have to wonder how AC can ethically enforce the no standby rule for SE and E members when I believe it is included as part of our 'privleges'. Am I completely wrong on this one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.