Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP reward booking: Australian Visa Application

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Aeroplan 35k, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Diamond, TK Elite

Anyone has any experience with AP doing the passenger Australian electronic visa application?

AP booking agent applied for the Australian visa for our family RTW later this year and told me that we all got approved... however, there was no confirmation number given or any other indication that it was sent and got approved.

Should I expect some sort of confirmation?, Australia is pretty serious about their Visa policy.

I'm just a bit paranoid, as it seems Airlines make regular mistakes, and most of the times it's the traveler who ends up in a pickle... It was 12 years ago, I was on a trip to NZ via HNL, Canadian Airlines messed up something in HNL and rather than a direct flight to NZ, I was routed through SYD, and they didn't bother to inform me that I needed a visa.. however, they did give me an op-up and a free one night stay in HNL

Anyways, mid-way through my HNL-SYD flight, FA comes along and tells me that they just got word from the ground staff that I don't have an Australian visa and I shouldn't have been put on this flight. And this is just to let me know in advance, and they can't do anything about it

I was lucky that this was just pre 9/11 and things weren't so bad.. I did get asked all sorts of questions by Australian immigration.. but they eventually let me go once they figured out it was the Airline's fault... the leniency was probably an exception and I don't expect this to be case these days though.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by syntron
Anyone has any experience with AP doing the passenger Australian electronic visa application?

AP booking agent applied for the Australian visa for our family RTW later this year and told me that we all got approved... however, there was no confirmation number given or any other indication that it was sent and got approved.

Should I expect some sort of confirmation?, Australia is pretty serious about their Visa policy.

I'm just a bit paranoid, as it seems Airlines make regular mistakes, and most of the times it's the traveler who ends up in a pickle... It was 12 years ago, I was on a trip to NZ via HNL, Canadian Airlines messed up something in HNL and rather than a direct flight to NZ, I was routed through SYD, and they didn't bother to inform me that I needed a visa.. however, they did give me an op-up and a free one night stay in HNL

Anyways, mid-way through my HNL-SYD flight, FA comes along and tells me that they just got word from the ground staff that I don't have an Australian visa and I shouldn't have been put on this flight. And this is just to let me know in advance, and they can't do anything about it

I was lucky that this was just pre 9/11 and things weren't so bad.. I did get asked all sorts of questions by Australian immigration.. but they eventually let me go once they figured out it was the Airline's fault... the leniency was probably an exception and I don't expect this to be case these days though.
Yes you should get an email.Maybe the email was sent to AP/AC instead? That said, whenever I've booked an AP reward ticket to AUS I've always applied for the EFT myself (AP has never volunteered to do so for me, I had no idea they would).
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Call the booking agent or anyone at Aeroplan to confirm it. Did you give them your passport number?

If not, just go online and apply an ETA visa yourself. Very simple.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Several
I fly quite often to Australia - every few months.

I have had AC and AP both apply for my Australian Visa and have not had any problems - except once. Now I always do it myself.

The one time AP did it for me I had a problem... I was connecting in Hong Kong to Perth and when I checked in they said I had no Visa - even though AP booked it for me. The one saving grace was that I had a print out of the confirmation. The agent went way beyond what she had to do and actually contacted the Australian authorities to sort it all out - which took the good part of 45 minutes!!

So - if you do get them to do it - ensure you receive a confirmation and print it out and take it with you. Otherwise I suggest you do it yourself online.

Cheers!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys.. I didn't know you could do it yourself...

Anyways, I tried to re-apply on the ETA site and the online system says that I already have a valid visa in their system that will expire at the end of the year, so I think I'm good
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Last year AP filed for us and failed to enter our "middle names".

Upon arrival in SYD we had to visit the office where they fixed their files.
Took about 20 minutes.

If it involves computers, AP agents can do it wrong. In the future I would lead them through the steps..
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks guys.. I didn't know you could do it yourself...

Anyways, I tried to re-apply on the ETA site and the online system says that I already have a valid visa in their system that will expire at the end of the year, so I think I'm good
Or you can just PM me and I'll get it for you free of charge... (with conditions)...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/austr...plication.html
zoobtoob likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Or you can just PM me and I'll get it for you free of charge... (with conditions)...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/austr...plication.html
Thanks! good to know.. next time when I fly to AUS or NZ, will get in touch with you

This time AP did it free of charge and by the looks of it, did it right
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:02 pm

I had a big issue with this last year

I'll update the thread when I have a chance
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:10 am

crap, i just spent $20 for nothing?!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
AP said they would get us one when we booked our reward tickets. Is there a way to check that they did? What happens if they didn't do it?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allbrosca
AP said they would get us one when we booked our reward tickets. Is there a way to check that they did? What happens if they didn't do it?
Since AP doesn't give you a confirmation number (at least they told me clearly that they are unable to give me one), there is no direct way to check it on:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

However, you can go through the application process, if your visa is already in the system it will indicate it and will show you the expiry date too, you can then abort the process. If it doesn't exist, you can proceed with the application.

The only benefit of going through AP is that you don't pay the $20...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Since AP doesn't give you a confirmation number (at least they told me clearly that they are unable to give me one), there is no direct way to check it on:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

However, you can go through the application process, if your visa is already in the system it will indicate it and will show you the expiry date too, you can then abort the process. If it doesn't exist, you can proceed with the application.

The only benefit of going through AP is that you don't pay the $20...
Aeroplan can indeed give you a print out indicating that they have processed the ETA for you. That's what I do to confirm when I give FTers their ETA confirmation. Your ETA 'confirmation' is linked to your passport number.

Like I said, PM me and I can check it out for you if indeed you have a valid ETA or not.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Found it! No more worries.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Found it! No more worries.
Did you get your confirmation # from AP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.