Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm a CANADIAN!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
I'm a CANADIAN!

Where's our national identity?

As I checked in this morning in Sydney, Australia, I notice the digital sign at the Air Canada desk saying "By order of the United States Transportation blah-blah..."

So if you're flying through Sydney - tell 'em!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:03 pm

I recall seeing something like that when I was there. I wonder if it has something to do with the flight overflying Hawaii and and relying on US territory as a place to land in emergency.

It is annoying though. And ironic - given that one of the best things about that flight is not to having to though US customs and immigration.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I've had to put in SFPD data flying YYC YYZ.
Now to SYD I fly CX/JL/AA/KE because of 50% mileage on AC.
(Well, I fly AA to TYO/HNL and JL/QF to SYD....)
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I've had to put in SFPD data flying YYC YYZ.
Now to SYD I fly CX/JL/AA/KE because of 50% mileage on AC.
(Well, I fly AA to TYO/HNL and JL/QF to SYD....)
btw, how do you fly all these long trips if you are on FT EVERY DAY
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by DrPete
I recall seeing something like that when I was there. I wonder if it has something to do with the flight overflying Hawaii and and relying on US territory as a place to land in emergency.

It is annoying though. And ironic - given that one of the best things about that flight is not to having to though US customs and immigration.
I think that it may be overflight. But then again, if I fly LH from MUC to CDG using UA miles, I have to enter all my personal data for the US government. I think that it is an outrage, and wrong, but most people here on FT don't seem to care. I am told 'it doesn't matter because the data doesn't go anywhere' but it does matter to me!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
btw, how do you fly all these long trips if you are on FT EVERY DAY
hahaha, I knew this one was comming!!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:45 pm

Might be related to Secure Flight. I think there is an exemption for overflying Hawaii/Alaska anyway, but I'd imagine that the SYD-YVR flight would likely pass through U.S. airspace as it approaches YVR (on at least some of the approaches, which might be adjusted inflight).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC*E
Cool

Tell them how you feel with your wallet.

God only knows how much money US carriers are losing due to passengers avoiding transiting to or through the US. Pretty bad if they feel they can harvest your personnel information simply because your flight nips there airspace somewhere over the Pacific.

It would be interesting to see the response from Americans if they were asked to provide personnel information to every country whose airspace they flew over, however briefly. A good example might be a flight from Italy to India, over a host of Middle Eastern nations.......
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:57 am

i think its probably because we share the same airspace......or like others have said, we need to fly through their area in order to get to canada....
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i think its probably because we share the same airspace......or like others have said, we need to fly through their area in order to get to canada....
More likely because if there needs to be a diversion for an emergency during the latter part of the flight, either Hawaii or California would be the likeliest touchdown point.

As for the data, I'd only worry if the Republicans got back in. They're the ones who started this whole thing. In the meantime, the US government can't process the vast amounts of data it has so you'd be dead of old age before anything sinister was to result from them discovering you were on a flight unless your name was on a watch list.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AC*E
And what, you don't need to fly through the sovereign airspace of other countries in the example I used?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by acdsee5555
And what, you don't need to fly through the sovereign airspace of other countries in the example I used?
well if they require the airline will submit them over........ its a requirement imposed by individual countries..... some want more info than others.....

you can always vote with your wallet..... by flying via the atlantic..... via Gander......
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:27 am

It's tough flying internally in Canada and not cross the US: YYZ - YYC will cut across Michigan, YYZ - YHZ will go over Maine, etc.

The US FAA also requires airlines who fly over their soil without touching it to have detailed plans and contractors for dealing with any emergency: an air crash in either of the examples I mentioned will need the airline to have body recovery contractors, PTSD counsellors, and so on. In a previous life I was involved with preparing one of these plans and the amount of nitpicky detail is tremendous - just to cross a bit of their airspace.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder

As for the data, I'd only worry if the Republicans got back in. They're the ones who started this whole thing. In the meantime, the US government can't process the vast amounts of data it has so you'd be dead of old age before anything sinister was to result from them discovering you were on a flight unless your name was on a watch list.
And that's why NSA is building a huge data processing and code breaking center...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...nsadatacenter/
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:55 am

So why does a German citizen flying on a German carrier from one German city to another German city need to provide the US government with this information? (The same holds true for a Canadian citizen flying AC from YYC to YEG on UA miles, by the way...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.