Aeroplan SE vs. 1K

Old Oct 9, 01, 1:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Taking this to the extreme, I wonder if I could cancel all of the flights I take this year, have them re-credited to my AC Aeroplan account instead, and qualify for AC SE rather than UA1K this year?</font>
Why not just make 1K this year, get the 6 SWU for next year and then use those to upgrade and put your miles into AC instead? I doubt UA will be willing to cancel all the flights and recredit them to your AC account especially if UA knows that you are doing this so you can qualify on AC instead.
Old Oct 9, 01, 2:18 pm
ALW

Also don't forget (as I said earlier) that we don't know what the benefits will be next year. Every year we panic, and it's usually not as bad as we fear (cf. salami tactics) but it would be a shame to go to great effort and shift credits, even if possible, only to discover that whichever specific benefit of Aeroplan appeals the most, has been modified or removed.

andrew
Old Oct 9, 01, 2:23 pm

Well, for the past couple years around this time, I've always send a letter to AC/CP to ask them about the benefits changes for the upcoming year.

In 1999, someone from CPlus called me about my concerns. In 2000, CPlus called me and told me that I would have to contact Aeroplan to find out and AC didn't reply or acknowledge my letter. Early last week, I send an email to the SE desk asking about possible changes for the upcoming year and I haven't heard from them even though the usual time that it takes for them to reply is 2 days.

This year, we got confirmation that no changes will be made to the upgrade policy back in late Jan. So I expect that we won't know anything until early next year.
Old Oct 9, 01, 3:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
I doubt UA will be willing to cancel all the flights and recredit them to your AC account </font>

I actually don't see why UA Mileage Plus wouldn't mind not cancelling the flights, especially since they view it as less liability ffmile-wise, and especially, since the burden of getting the miles credited to AC now falls on the passenger, not UA MP. I think the passenger has a specific time limit to credit flights to AC after the flight has been flown.(is it 6 months I thought). I think if one were to get the 6 SWU and then cancel the flights such that 1K status wouldn't have been obtained legitimately, I would expect UA\UA Mileage Plus to start knocking on your door asking for full-fare on the flights you had upgraded with the SWUs.
Old Oct 9, 01, 3:33 pm

It's true that it will mean less FF miles liability for UA. However, if they agree to do that, it also means they volunteer to give up any future business from this individual away to AC since he will now hold SE on AC instead of 1K on UA.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old Oct 9, 01, 4:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
to give up any future business from this individual away to AC since he will now hold SE on AC instead of 1K on UA. </font>
Unless "instead" were replaced by "and"---
and don't ask me to disclose the identity of my friends, my friend Just credit flights post 100k miles on UA to AC.
Sing-sing-Singapore, lalalala--There's still time, and UA has double-miles till Nov 15th I believe, even if non-elite.
Old Oct 9, 01, 5:02 pm

Old Oct 9, 01, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crankyusi:
Just credit flights post 100k miles on UA to AC.

Sing-sing-Singapore, lalalala--There's still time, and UA has double-miles till Nov 15th I believe, even if non-elite.
</font>
Well, it's unlikely I'll fly another 100K this year, unless AC are running any double-status mile promotions that I don't know about.

Search this Thread