Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fog in YUL this AM –- Diversions to Mirabel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE

AC 661, 774, and 8787 were diverted to YMX (Mirabel) this morning. Never seen YUL this bad. AC still hasn't gotten a flight in from YYZ yet today. WS was diverting to YFC.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Wow, I didn't know Mirabel still took planes of any sort. I thought it was completely closed. Isn't the passenger terminal locked shut??
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:41 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
cargo operation at YMX.... AC took on additional fuel. The fog is really bad.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Is YMX even a point of entry?
(in reference to the LAX-YMQ flight)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:46 am

It's an active airport, primarily used by private jets and bombardier
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:55 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
It's an active airport, primarily used by private jets and bombardier
Private jets? If by private jets you mean FedEX cargo then yes....
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Do they fuel the planes after and hop them over to YUL?
It may be faster just to drive them from the 15 to the 13. I'd love to see drivers tailgate these guys if they drive too slow in the left lane.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Private jets? If by private jets you mean FedEX cargo then yes....
you can if u charter, happens once in a while

As per Aeroports De Montreal

"Commercial and general crafts are welcome on the runways of both our airports. All kinds of planes can land at the Montréal-Trudeau and Montréal-Mirabel international airports. However, the infrastructures in place at these two sites are different."

Here is a private charter (helicopter) and ground handling company that operates from Mirabel http://www.helibellule.ca/en/who-we-are/description

Last edited by global happy traveller; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yup. YMX is both part of the "National Airports System" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airports_System) and is a port of entry (but can only "handle general aviation aircraft only with no more than 15 passengers"). Only found this out a week or so ago browsing Wikipedia. Also surprised me
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09

Yes; it's a full international airport see AIP Gen 1.2.2

http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefin...1gen_eng_1.pdf
6. Mirabel is intended for scheduled cargo, only. No aircraft handling and ground services are available.

However, still a point of entry.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:46 pm
ABG

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
you can if u charter, happens once in a while
If you charter, any stretch of tarmac with a control tower becomes a potentional place to land your private jet (read jet engine, not a helicopter that you can land in a field if you wish, like a few bigshots around our summer lake do). Just because an airport has an FBO with some helicopters on it doesn't make it an airport used primarily for private jets and Bombardier. You can check it out for yourself on flightaware. All cargo, except for the diversions, a medical evac plane and a few TS mechincal situations. I believe TS plans to close at YMX soon too.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I figure it's not really fog.

It's AC pilots with fog machines.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I figure it's not really fog.

It's AC pilots with fog machines.
Haha, it was pretty thick this morning till started burning off at around 11 AM on the N shore. Was wondering if planes were landing in it!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinalet
Yup. YMX is both part of the "National Airports System" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airports_System) and is a port of entry (but can only "handle general aviation aircraft only with no more than 15 passengers"). Only found this out a week or so ago browsing Wikipedia. Also surprised me
RE: Wikipedia, it is an amateur run website. Even that article has some errors in it but I am not a registered user so I didn't fix them. If you aren't registered but try to correct an article, your IP gets published. If you are, the IP is not shown to the public but curious volunteer (checkusers) often snoop and look at your IP. There have been allegations of checkusers hacking into computers of users so I generally avoid Wikipedia.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by 797-3
RE: Wikipedia, it is an amateur run website. Even that article has some errors in it but I am not a registered user so I didn't fix them. If you aren't registered but try to correct an article, your IP gets published. If you are, the IP is not shown to the public but curious volunteer (checkusers) often snoop and look at your IP. There have been allegations of checkusers hacking into computers of users so I generally avoid Wikipedia.
Regardless of whether there are errors in the article itself or not, it is a true statement that Mirabel is an airport of entry which can only handle GA traffic with no more than 15 passengers between the hours of 0800-1600 local time. (Referenced from Canada Flight Supplement)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.