Tango fare on TATL??

Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Tango fare on TATL??

This is the first time I've noticed this, anyone else? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

YUL-ZRH, random dates 28Jun-04Jul. On one routing YUL-YYZ-ZRH on AC421-878 one can see a single Tango fare. Incidentally, there are cheaper T+ fare available.

When you click through, the Rapidair flight shows Tango P and the TATL leg Tango T-class. However, the return, through YYZ, shows Tango+ T-class fares.

A quick search of other European cities (DUB, LHR, MAN, CDG, GVA, FRA, VIE, FCO, AMS, BCN, MAD) only displays Tango+, except for ATH which displays Tango fares (P, W & T) both out- and inbound.

I wonder if this is a glitch (e.g. UA/CO migration weekend) or no status mile accumulation on TATL.

I'd post screen captures if ever I could figure out how to do so...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by WhiteYUL
This is the first time I've noticed this, anyone else? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

YUL-ZRH, random dates 28Jun-04Jul. On one routing YUL-YYZ-ZRH on AC421-878 one can see a single Tango fare. Incidentally, there are cheaper T+ fare available.

When you click through, the Rapidair flight shows Tango P and the TATL leg Tango T-class. However, the return, through YYZ, shows Tango+ T-class fares.

A quick search of other European cities (DUB, LHR, MAN, CDG, GVA, FRA, VIE, FCO, AMS, BCN, MAD) only displays Tango+, except for ATH which displays Tango fares (P, W & T) both out- and inbound.

I wonder if this is a glitch (e.g. UA/CO migration weekend) or no status mile accumulation on TATL.

I'd post screen captures if ever I could figure out how to do so...
Tango fare classes are N, G, P, E and A. The W and T fares you see should be Tango Plus.

Your Tango fare would earn 50% status miles on the international segments and 25% non-status on the domestic segment.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Tango fare classes are N, G, P, E and A. The W and T fares you see should be Tango Plus.

Your Tango fare would earn 50% status miles on the international segments and 25% non-status on the domestic segment.
This isn't really addressing the OP's question, although does address the common misconception of no status mile accumulation on international tango fares.

I have a recollection of this happening a few years back, very occasionally, on some international routes. Random T fares offered with T+ being cheaper. I always assumed it was a technical glitch or something within the fare structure that extended beyond AC.com and simply showed up as an anomaly on the web site.

The TPAC Tango fares are annoying and I will simply fly on US/Asian carriers in Y with a good sleeping pill to Asia instead of buying up to T+ with no guarantee of an upgrade. If I buy a discounted J fare, it will not be on AC out of principle. If AC chooses to foolishly do this on the TATL routes, they will similarly lose my business in that direction as well.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
There is no need to panic, this is not a Tango TATL fare. The booking class letter is what matters, and in this case for the YYZ-ZRH flight it is T (which is Tango Plus). I have determined what you are seeing:

AC's website is breaking the fare in YYZ for that particular departure time, that is why Tango is an option. You will note in the fare rules 3 separate fare basis codes:

To: Toronto, ON (YYZ - Pearson Int'l)
Fare Basis Code: P5TGB

To: Zurich, (ZRH - Zurich)
Fare Basis Code: THRCT47

To: Montreal, QC (YUL - Trudeau)

It's doing this because there is no availability in T class on AC421, and likely the T class fare YUL-ZRH doesn't allow the domestic flight to be booked in a class higher than T. The next valid Tango Plus fare is in W class and is about $900++ R/T, so the website figured out it was cheaper to book a YUL-YYZ fare, then a YYZ-ZRH fare, instead of a through fare. If you select the 'Tango Plus' option for the 17:00 departure from YUL, it does the same thing, except books a Tango Plus fare (S5TPB) for the YUL-YYZ segment.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I noticed this too on a GDN-CPH-YYZ-YYC file. T fare. But booking class until YYZ was T+. Incidentally, T+ was 20$ more.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582
There is no need to panic, this is not a Tango TATL fare. The booking class letter is what matters, and in this case for the YYZ-ZRH flight it is T (which is Tango Plus). I have determined what you are seeing:

AC's website is breaking the fare in YYZ for that particular departure time, that is why Tango is an option. You will note in the fare rules 3 separate fare basis codes:

To: Toronto, ON (YYZ - Pearson Int'l)
Fare Basis Code: P5TGB

To: Zurich, (ZRH - Zurich)

To: Montreal, QC (YUL - Trudeau)

It's doing this because there is no availability in T class on AC421, and likely the T class fare YUL-ZRH doesn't allow the domestic flight to be booked in a class higher than T. The next valid Tango Plus fare is in W class and is about $900++ R/T, so the website figured out it was cheaper to book a YUL-YYZ fare, then a YYZ-ZRH fare, instead of a through fare. If you select the 'Tango Plus' option for the 17:00 departure from YUL, it does the same thing, except books a Tango Plus fare (S5TPB) for the YUL-YYZ segment.
Thanks, that makes sense. A bit odd perhaps, but makes sense.

Thanks D582.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Who else got scared when they read the thread title?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Who else got scared when they read the thread title?
From the onAir e-zine today:

"Tango down south. Air Canada is extending our popular Tango fare options for economy class travel to Mexico, the Caribbean and South America. Tango gives you the choice of great low fares tailored to your needs. Book now."
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Originally Posted by ACB777

"Tango down south. Air Canada is extending our popular Tango fare options for economy class travel to Mexico, the Caribbean and South America. Tango gives you the choice of great low fares tailored to your needs. Book now."
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
OT in this post... but definitly a sad news...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACB777

Now, will "tailoring to your needs" mean reducing (like on TPAC) or eliminating (Like in NA) status miles or status segment accumulation? "Tailoring" = the new "enhancements"?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:06 pm

not happy on T to south
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:40 am

If AC expects travellers who used to buy the "old" cheaper Tango Plus TPAC (which practically is today's Tango fare) to buy the "new" more expensive Tango Plus TPAC, it has to offer a little more by effectively creating a "premium economy" section, similar to their previous Connaisseur service. Start by taking out a row or two to increase the seat pitch.

The fare difference between AC's Tango Plus and some other airlines' real premium economy is so little that the Tango Plus price is simply uncompetitive.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
This is what you get when the leadership of the airline is only thinking of becoming a low cost carrier, more low cost options. My flight back from NRT was a case in point. Every Y seat was selected 48hours out, except for those
in the front only bookable during olci, by TT and Lat. Only a handful of those were selected. 14 people got upgrades, and the back went out full.
Watching the fare classes on line on KVS I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the flight was flying tango, and watching the mix at the gate my guess is that 1/4 were connections from Asia, non Asians were about half the flight, and most of J.

My take is that in the new low cost head space AC has made a marketing decision regarding elite tiers, and that it's they don't care any more and we are a grudging though for now necessary expense. If it were not for their participation in Star, my guess is the program would be gone very quickly. If I were a straight dollars and cents guy I would do the same. Low Cost is about minimal service and fighting it out on price alone.

That said the flights in J were very good, but Y was vastly different. It must be hard running essentially two different airlines on the same plane. One that provides service and a comfortable seat, vs one that is bare bones just a few meters away. I am all for AC doing an e+ or Delta comfort plus model. Delta offers a very good e+ product over the Pacific, lots of room, and hardly any middles were booked. A few went at the gate so they must be blocking them, until airport check in. Flight was well worth the extra $$ for the service, they also throw free booze ( DL charges in Y ) and movies into the price. I did not notice if Y+ gets the same food as reg Y.

Last edited by yul36; Mar 6, 2012 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luckily a quick search YYZ EZE shows L fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.