Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Air Canada to slash 6,000 jobs"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2001, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right on Empress. I am quite satisfied as an Elite. Excluding a few rare times, I have been treated very well by AC. They have my loyalty.
And by the way Flyboy, your comments to FlyerAl were way below the standard of this thread.

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Hey, FlyBoy. In virtually every post you have made in the past two years that resembles a Trip Report, you manage to get an upgrade from a very low fare, often those which do not qualify for upgrading, many times as operational even when the back cabin is not filled. From your posts, you seem to be getting more benefits thaneven we SEs don't get, and you still bad-mouth AC. What gives? Can you get better international upgrades from almost any fare in any other airline's progam without using points? Can you get lounge access with any US programs' elite status? And I thought FlyerAl was your friend? Now you call him a biggoted SOB. Has living out in BC done something to you? </font>
I got more operational upgrades on BA than I have on AC. The fares I purchased on BA were the same type of fares I purchase on AC. As we all know, those of us that are not Super Elite cannot upgrade internatinally from anything but a full-fare ticket. As for lounge access; it can be obtained more cheaply by purchasing a membership, or using a credit card that has a lounge agreement. I have not changed my tune: I have consistantly complained about AC's dismal service, but given credit where credit is due (which has not been very often). As for FlyerAl, it should be clear to anyone that has been following this board that his comments after the WTC incident have caused a great deal of offence. I have no wish to further associate with someone with such bigoted views.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
If you ask majority of the Elites here, I am sure many of them can tell you that they are quite satisfy with the program. Is there any other middle tier FF program that has no capacity control for award Y without charging you more? If you are so against AC, I suggest you get out of this forum and stay out of any discussions related to AC. As much as I disagree with most of the FlyerAl's comments, your last comment to him was way out of line... </font>
-the majority of Elites here do not represent the majority of Air Canada's Aeroplan Elite members

-if customers were satisfied with AC their passenger loads would not be so low

-what use are no capacity controls on only Y awards?

-Why should I "get out of this forum"? I should note that my views toward AC are muted in comparison with your views at the time of the merger.

-I am tired of discussion concerning FlyerAl and his posts. It was wrong of you to associate me with him as you did in your post. I do not support his views and take offence at the suggestion that I do.

Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fly Boy:
-if customers were satisfied with AC their passenger loads would not be so low</font>
All airlines are experiencing low load factors right now. It has nothing to do with customer satisfaction.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
All airlines are experiencing low load factors right now. It has nothing to do with customer satisfaction.</font>
AC's loads were down long before the WTC incident. Even the Liberals have said this. Furthermore, Westjet and Canada3000 are not at risk of bankruptcy.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:46 am
Suspended

With recent comments Flyboy has been posting, it makes me embarassed to say I actually met him and enjoyed my coffee with him - not that it will ever happen again.

Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
With recent comments Flyboy has been posting, it makes me embarassed to say I actually met him and enjoyed my coffee with him - not that it will ever happen again.</font>
M.L. - have I done something to offend you?

If the consensis on this board is that you don't want me here - perhaps all those who feel this way should say this. Otherwise, I do not understand why all of a sudden everyone is villainising me without any apparant reason. I for one am tired of reading this board and encountering unprovoked negative posts about me. I used to enjoy reading FT but now it is just upsetting and distressing me.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait a minute people. This discussion is getting out of hand. Let's ratchet the tone down a notch or two.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
I wouldn't hesitate for one second to take a flight with Fly Boy. He's one of the nicest guys I know and I'm proud to call him my friend </font>
Fly Boy, you're not being very nice to someone who obviously has great admiration for you!
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
After Burner, I agree - except the "great admiration" part is a bit of an overstatement
Old Sep 28, 2001, 7:53 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If the consensis on this board is that you don't want me here - perhaps all those who feel this way should say this. Otherwise, I do not understand why all of a sudden everyone is villainising me without any apparant reason.</font>
Flyboy: It's not that we don't want you here, we just don't want you to talk crap in here. If FlyerAl and you needed to sort things out, feel free to open a new thread "FlyerAl vs Flyboy". I guess that you two are not "freinds" anymore?
Old Sep 29, 2001, 1:20 am

Hey guys - I really agree with Empress. If you insist on flinging your s***, please do it elsewhere. Or, better yet, don't do it at all. Why not try to patch things up - you do realise that your broken friendship will just become another thing ruined by the attack, don't you?

Now, as FlyerAl earlier said, back to flying (and lets try and keep it that way).

I also agree that if AC (or any other airline) wants government help, they have to be financially responsible. Yes, AC has been dealt a lousy deal by Ottawa.

They also have to put up with the incessent whining from Westjet, which really is not restricted by the government in any measureable way.

Unfortunately, it has also become a national sport to b**** about the lousy service etc on AC. The media, naturally, focuses on this, further augmenting the problem. (When was the last time you heard a story about lousy service on WJ - I've got one (another thread) but hey, who cares about that?).

Ultimately, loosing this nasty reputation is what AC must do to be sucessful. Compared to most Canadians (not including most of you), I have done a fair bit of flying over the last several years. All in all, I have been satisfied with AC in most areas - that's not to say there are no prombles, however. To stay competitive domestically, AC must:

- improve telephone wait times. Waiting over an hour to speak to someone at AC is crazy. Westjet, along with other, American mainline carriers does not expect its customers to wait more than ten or so minutes. AC shouldn't either. Sure, this doesn't affect those with E or SE status (most of you) but it does affect the average Joe Canadian and they still do make up a significant portion of ACs consumer base. They are also the ones that are most likely to defect to WJ or the charters. Naturally, AC must cater to its FFers, but they must do more for the average traveller.
- deal with their labour issues. Honestly, AC staff do not always have the best attitude. Wonderful people are around, but, in general, customer service needs improvement. Yes, life is stressful for airline employees, but life is stressful for most of us. That is not excuse for crappy customer service. Again, you Es and SEs may not deal with this to the same degree (with some exceptions) but Joe Canadian does, and he is the one that makes the news. I was a unionised government employee for two years, and I know how prevalent an us-against-them mentality can be. That has to go; the customer must come first.

I would agree that pricing is not really an issue. AC is competitive with other mainline operations in the US and abroad. Domestically, there is no other mainline operation to compare to, which has become a problem. We understand the different fare categories and how they affect pricing. Others may not. WJ, Transat and C3 can be less expensive, but they do have drawbacks. Like Afterburner, hell would have to freeze over before I would get on a Transat plane. WJ also lost my business (forever) after I flew with them once - the letter I got this week solidified this decision. But, for the average consumer, WJ is a very real option. They don't give a s*** about the things we do (miles, equipment etc.)

AC has won over many Canadian FFers. Now, they have to sell themselves to the average traveller. Without a doubt, people will pay for service and quality - AC just has to make it available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.