"Air Canada to slash 6,000 jobs"

Old Sep 27, 2001, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Dup

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
My original point is that does the average consumer see any benefit in paying twice as much for Air Canada (in this particular case)? The AC FF says yes (you), the star alliance gold guy (me) says "no", I think the average consumer will say "no" too.</font>
I don't think we can draw such conclusions based on just our opinions. Not a very scientific sample. But consider that AC's flights are nearly full (or oversold). That should tell us something. Maybe AC is underpricing these seats.

There are those of us who are more than happy to pay the additional $200-$400 for the extra quality of service. If you don't mind sitting with your knees up against your ears, then you might be making the right choice.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After Burner,

I'm not trying to antagonize you, but in August I did YYZ-YEG-YVR-YYZ. I went out Sunday, returned on a Wednesday and paid over $3200 for the privledge.

It was CP 737 metal for the first two flights, and an A330 on the way back.

My knees were up to my ears (I'm 6'4" 240lbs) for all three of those flights, and I didn't notice any difference in the indifferent service on these flights and the indifferent service on the C3 flight to Montreal that I took last April.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:20 pm

skofarrell, I'm not at all antagonized by anything you're saying. Likewise, I'm just interested in exploring our different viewpoints.

I should confess that I've never flown C3 or Transat, so I'm basing my opinions on what I've heard as well as the published seat pitch figures. It sounds like you're saying that you will suffer considerable discomfort in either seat, so you'll choose the cheaper option. I'm only 6'0", so the AC seats aren't total torture for me. But the MLL, advance seat selection, new planes, the miles, etc. still make the price difference worthwhile.

I have to ask this question: If you paid $3200 for the YYZ-YEG-YVR-YYZ trip (obviously Y class) why didn't you just pay the extra $700 for J class? Or upgrade it for free?
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Afterburner,

I tried a number of different ways to get to "J".

1st try: Elite Coupons from co-workers. *Gold doesn't cut it (Elite+ only).
2nd try: Buy an upgrade coupon (like UA offers), only available where there's competition (transborder)
3rd try: Fare. Believe it or not, my $3200 fare was a Y1/Corp. The problem was that my fare between YEG/YVR was reduced due to WestJet competition. Getting the whole fare to "J" was going to cost about $1200 more. I couldn't do the individial legs, as the YYZ/YVR fares reverted to the more restrictive YEG/YVR fare. Ater a good 30 min at the ticket counter, I was told it was "all or nothing". After already paying $3200, the additional $1,200 just did not seem worth it IMHO. In fact, I was (and as you can tell still am) extremely annoyed at AC for expecting another $1200 for a wider seat and slightly more/better food. I'd have probably willingly paid $~500 more for the privledge, but $1200? Get serious.

I see you've never tried C3. As far as the actual flight product goes, it wasn't that noticably different (maybe a little less legroom) to me than that AC. Crappy economy is crappy economy

I can see where the MLL and being able to upgrade is worth a difference, but not 100% more for a 2 hour flight. I can survive any econ product for 2 hours

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:45 pm

Okay, I see your point skofarrell. Personally, I'd still be happy to pay the extra $400 for the "extras." I might be in a minority, but my minority group is probably big enough to fill AC's planes.

If I were you, I'd certainly choose C3K over AT.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 3:54 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I'm not trying to antagonize you, but in August I did YYZ-YEG-YVR-YYZ. I went out Sunday, returned on a Wednesday and paid over $3200 for the privledge.

It was CP 737 metal for the first two flights, and an A330 on the way back.
</font>
737 for YYZ-YEG in Y? Ouch... I did YYZ-YEG once on the 737 in J and don't think I'll ever do it again, 737 is just too small and too uncomfortable for a long transcon trip. No where to walk around. No worries anymore since AC is finally getting rid of them!
Old Sep 27, 2001, 4:06 pm

Why are you guys so intent on bashing Canada3000? They give full AAdvantage credit for their flights and are a better managed carrier than AC. It is not like they are some terrible charter carrier with no frequent flier credit. I would take the lower fare and collect AAdvantage miles. AC is definately not worth the premium.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 4:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Why are you guys so intent on bashing Canada3000? They give full AAdvantage credit for their flights and are a better managed carrier than AC. It is not like they are some terrible charter carrier with no frequent flier credit. I would take the lower fare and collect AAdvantage miles. AC is definately not worth the premium.</font>
Flyboy (might as well add FlyerAl too): I pose the same question to you two, why are you guys so intent on bashing AC all the time? They give me tons of miles, so much that I can't finish using them. They give me upgrades when I buy economy class ticket. I would definitely pay the premium to fly AC so I can keep on getting tons of miles and be able to use it whenever I want. Even if I make AA EXP, I don't think I can claim awards without capacity control!

{Btw, Flyboy, I don't understand why are you rejecting AC so much lately??}
Old Sep 27, 2001, 6:17 pm

"Legalbee that was the longest sentence I've ever read in my life. Do you ever stop to take a breath when you talk? "

Not often enough obviously ,I get on a roll and just keep going and going and going (sort of like the Eveready Bunny

"Still, I can't imagine driving to Buffalo being a reasonable alternative. "

It depends on where one resides I think..for us we're 1 hour from T.O. and 40 minutes from Buffalo, so it really matters little.
We're thinking of Vegas for New years and I just did a cost comparison. We can go return from Buffalo with 1 stop ea. way for $134 U.S.ea. on United, non stop on Southwest return for $194 U.S. each or AC out of YYZ for $656 Cdn each(from their web site)...pretty big difference Now if I could call AC maybe they have a better price available ...I wouldnt know thou...spent 10 min on hold and finally gave up
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Flyboy (might as well add FlyerAl too)</font>
Don't associate me with that racist, ignorant idiot.

For those of us that are not SE and live in the real world, we do not get awards whenever we want and cannot upgrade internationally, no matter how poor the Exec First product may be. AC, for the majority of us that don't travel 100000 miles p.a. has a crappy frequent flyer program. Why am I bashing AC? I usually have and with good reason.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Hey, FlyBoy. In virtually every post you have made in the past two years that resembles a Trip Report, you manage to get an upgrade from a very low fare, often those which do not qualify for upgrading, many times as operational even when the back cabin is not filled. From your posts, you seem to be getting more benefits thaneven we SEs don't get, and you still bad-mouth AC. What gives? Can you get better international upgrades from almost any fare in any other airline's progam without using points? Can you get lounge access with any US programs' elite status? And I thought FlyerAl was your friend? Now you call him a biggoted SOB. Has living out in BC done something to you?
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fly Boy:
Don't associate me with that racist, ignorant idiot.</font>
Fly Boy, if you need to hurl personal insults at me to make you feel better about yourself then go ahead. If I was such a racist, then I wouldn't have driven your ... from North York to St. Catherine's, nor would I have bought you lunch twice without asking anything from you in return. Fortunately some of us who have met you in person know all about the type of person you are, allowing me to dismiss your comments like the one above.

Now back to flying...
When I was comparing the YYZ and BUF fares, my intention was not to replace YVR with SEA. If SEA is your destination, then it is currently cheaper to fly from BUF. For some, it's worth driving an extra 45 min - 1 hour to save $100 or more per person. It may not be practical for all, but the options exist.

[This message has been edited by FlyerAl (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:52 pm

BTW To Fisch and After Burner,

WRT your posts bottom of the first page of this topic, I'm off to MEX on Monday and I'll post my first trip report if it's worth reporting. 3rd time this year.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 9:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For those of us that are not SE and live in the real world, we do not get awards whenever we want and cannot upgrade internationally, no matter how poor the Exec First product may be. AC, for the majority of us that don't travel 100000 miles p.a. has a crappy frequent flyer program.</font>
Flyboy, if I recall correctly, weren't you flying YVR-YYZ once and it was the purple elvis, you got assigned a middle seat or something in Y, then you went back up the jetway and the agent immediately gave you an upgrade to J?

Even as a SE, i haven't gotten a comp upgrade and I am still quite happy with AC except for several occasions.

If you ask majority of the Elites here, I am sure many of them can tell you that they are quite satisfy with the program. Is there any other middle tier FF program that has no capacity control for award Y without charging you more? If you are so against AC, I suggest you get out of this forum and stay out of any discussions related to AC. As much as I disagree with most of the FlyerAl's comments, your last comment to him was way out of line...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.