Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade chances for YYZ-NRT or NRT-YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to buy a ticket for travel YYZ-NRT-YYZ in April/May, and I'd like to choose the routing based on the best chance of clearing eupgrade as an E.

I think there are a couple options YYZ-NRT, YYZ-YYC-NRT, or YYZ-YVR-NRT. Which one usually has the best chance of scoring? I checked thru flightstats for the next week to get an idea of the typical upgrade space, and all have R=0 but J>4. Is this their R-space game? Do J seats typically get sold closer to the date? At least for tomorrow's flight, AC1 still has J=9 but R=0.

Would like to hear your suggestions or any experience you might have had.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: 50K
Originally Posted by calligow
I'm looking to buy a ticket for travel YYZ-NRT-YYZ in April/May, and I'd like to choose the routing based on the best chance of clearing eupgrade as an E.

I think there are a couple options YYZ-NRT, YYZ-YYC-NRT, or YYZ-YVR-NRT. Which one usually has the best chance of scoring? I checked thru flightstats for the next week to get an idea of the typical upgrade space, and all have R=0 but J>4. Is this their R-space game? Do J seats typically get sold closer to the date? At least for tomorrow's flight, AC1 still has J=9 but R=0.

Would like to hear your suggestions or any experience you might have had.
The NRT - YVR flights are generally not as heavily booked in J as other TPac destinations. I would say your chances for an upgrade are fairly good. Middle of the week is always better than week-ends if you have flexibility. Watch out for Golden Week which will be heavily booked.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I've never had a problem upgrading YYZ-NRT, but am SE. I suspect many E's also score their upgrades on this route which is far easier to upgrade than say YYZ-HKG.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your inputs. It's just that most weekday flights in March have R=0 although J=9. I'm just wondering if it's just because most upgrades for this route are cleared at the gate as opposed to T-7 for SE or T-4 for E.

I've only had a few TPAC upgrade experience before and all of them cleared at T-4
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*E
I was unsuccessful as an *E on this route on Feb 19th. The plane was a lot smaller and shabbier than previous trips. R= 0 at t-4 and the wait list didn't come through. Every other trip (2x a year) I've been successful. Maybe it's an equipment change that's working against us!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
NRT is a much easier upgrade after Feb 29th. Less elites to compete with!

If you want to try for an op-up, plan your trip to coincide with the end of Golden Week (Japanese stat holidays). Economy is usually oversold and SE/Es can get free upgrades.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC MM / S100K, United MP Silver, Qantas Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold
I did YYZ - NRT on 9 Feb and NRT - YYZ on 22 Feb and there were at least two empty J seats on both flights..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
YYZ - NRT Feb 18 - When I got to the airport, I was told there were 22 waitlisted before me. Never got it.

NRT - YYZ Feb 26 - Got the upgrade at the AC Connections desk at NRT. Cabin was full.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:46 pm

Ill tell you that at T-9 days R=9 then at T-8 R=0.

Ac is clearing out the R space just prior to the the T-7.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gl89
YYZ - NRT Feb 18 - When I got to the airport, I was told there were 22 waitlisted before me. Never got it.

NRT - YYZ Feb 26 - Got the upgrade at the AC Connections desk at NRT. Cabin was full.
cause its the weekend........... I would suggest Tues/Wed if you want to U/G
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Decided to book AC1 and AC2, hoping to score upgrades on both of them. Totally avoiding flying on Sat/Sun
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
My data point for you calligow

Tu Apr 20 - Tu Apr 27, YYZ-NRT on AC1/2. Plane was either 77W or 77L. Both cleared at T-4.

R0 J9 sounds not toooo bad. Remember that it means there are 9+ J seats available ... if those seats remain unsold, AC might start opening up R spots (that's what happened to me I think)

[edit: forgot the year LOL, 2010]
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
cause its the weekend........... I would suggest Tues/Wed if you want to U/G
Understood. But because of work commitments, I could only take the week off and HAD to travel on weekends.

At least I was able to use up some of my expiring ecredits.

I have plans for May or June, I'll probably be able to book something mid-week for that.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gl89
Understood. But because of work commitments, I could only take the week off and HAD to travel on weekends.

At least I was able to use up some of my expiring ecredits.

I have plans for May or June, I'll probably be able to book something mid-week for that.
from my travel experiences last Nov..... Tues/Wed is starting to get a little harder too.... plane are sure fuller than b4
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
from my travel experiences last Nov..... Tues/Wed is starting to get a little harder too.... plane are sure fuller than b4
Yeah, 4 or 5 years ago, there always seemed to be many empty seats, at least in the back of the planes. Not so much anymore. I guess smaller jets and maybe also reduced schedules, because of the economy. And now that the economy is improving (so they say in the news), more people are starting to travel again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.