Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help: My first Mileage Run! SEA-SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2001, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: several

I think I'm finally going to do one: SEA-NRT-SIN on UA. I found a three day fare for $490 USD ($849.50 CAD) Does this seem like a good price to accrue 16,000+ miles?
I am hoping to do this to reach Elite status on AC, (I've been so close in the past, but never quite 35 K) That being said, can anyone say what I'm doing is worthwhile? (Or not!?) Is *E worth it, really? What about the future of AC? I love flying, particularly overseas, so I look forward to such a weekend adventure.

Lastly, how soon will Aeroplan give me my Elite package? I've heard conflicting stories that you get *E immediately, but their website say you get it March 1st. Once I get it, can I call AC Aeroplan & have it expedited within a few weeks?

Whomever can help me with these questions, thank you very much in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
The UA flights to SIN are probably the biggest bargain for accruing points, so I would say this is a good way to go if you want to make E status.

As to whether it's worth it, I don't think that there is any question that it is. The incremental increase in privileges is much greater from P to E than from E to SE. The most significant benefits are the access to all *A Lounges,priority check-in (very relevant right now), the NA upgrades on discount fares, and access to revenue inventory on NA award trips. It's hard to place this in the context of what will happen to AC, but I don't see any point in factoring that in at the moment.

As far as receiving your package, the rule is that if you make E or SE before the end of October, you get a package for the remainder of this year, and then a new package for 2002-3. As others have pointed out, if you don't have status, the best thing to do is to put in a lot of miles at the beginning of a calendar year, then you effectively get two years of status at once.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 1:21 pm

If you fly a lot, then the priority check-in, priority baggage handling and the lounge make a big, big difference. Looks like priority security lines will become more valuable too.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I would say go for it. Making E is a big jump from P similar to making SE from E. Elite will also give you no capacity control on Y awards for Elite, MLL access, upgrades and J class checkin... these are certainly good reasons for you to spend that extra $900 CAD.

Have Fun!
Old Sep 25, 2001, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: several
So providing I achieve 35,000 K by, say, Oct 12th, AC will to bless me with a 2001 *E package asap? And if they don't, I can demand it from Aeroplan?

Old Sep 25, 2001, 5:54 pm

That's the way it has worked in the past. But I don't think it is written anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.