Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Champagne not replenished on Asia turn-around to Canada

Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Granted this is not an earth-shattering issue. But when you're paying thousands of dollars for a J class ticket, you would expect certain standards of service.

There is a reoccuring problem with champagne not being replenished on Asian flights returning to Canada I recently flew from Korea (ICN --> YVR) and had one glass of champagne. Strangely enough there were no offers to refill my glass once empty. So when I requested, the FA returned with a bottle of Kenwood sparking wine (yuk).

The explanation was that during the outbound flight from Canada, more champagne was consumed than usual, therefore only 1 bottle was left for the return flight to Vancouver.

1) Since when did they stop warehousing catering supplies in remote stations? Surely they don't carry the full stock of wine for the return flight, on the outbound flight.

2) Even if they did carry champagne stock for both directions, they should reserve 3 bottles for outbound and 3 bottles for return. You don't dip into the return stock prematurely!

The in-charge FA was apologetic to say the least. And he confirmed this has been a regular occurance lately. How unprofessional is this practice. Has anybody else experienced the same problem?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry......my bad! (insert drunk icon)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by YVR guy:18024406
Granted this is not an earth-shattering issue. But when you're paying thousands of dollars for a J class ticket, you would expect certain standards of service.

There is a reoccuring problem with champagne not being replenished on Asian flights returning to Canada I recently flew from Korea (ICN --> YVR) and had one glass of champagne. Strangely enough there were no offers to refill my glass once empty. So when I requested, the FA returned with a bottle of Kenwood sparking wine (yuk).

The explanation was that during the outbound flight from Canada, more champagne was consumed than usual, therefore only 1 bottle was left for the return flight to Vancouver.

1) Since when did they stop warehousing catering supplies in remote stations? Surely they don't carry the full stock of wine for the return flight, on the outbound flight.

2) Even if they did carry champagne stock for both directions, they should reserve 3 bottles for outbound and 3 bottles for return. You don't dip into the return stock prematurely!

The in-charge FA was apologetic to say the least. And he confirmed this has been a regular occurance lately. How unprofessional is this practice. Has anybody else experienced the same problem?
Seriously?
That's your complaint about AC service?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR guy

I have never paid for a revenue J seat. I always use eUGs (though if it's a SE heavy route like HKG-YVR, then I will fly CX as I know that the chances on that route are not good.)
So at most it would cost me 300 or so of my own money (my boss pays for the lowest fare on the airline of my choice) to sit in J.

I have also flown on AA and even with their bankruptcy getting champagne in F/J isn't an issue to me.
(Though I like Glenlivet!)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have never paid for a revenue J seat.
Congratulations.

Those that do pay for J are disappointed when the advertised product is not delivered.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Seriously?
I think the OP has a valid point. If Champagne is to be served on J International flights, then serve it. Don't come up with some lame reason why it not on board and then try to serve up some plonk as the equivalent
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:25 am

its a first that i have heard of, then again some of us then go str8 into wine and other drinks once take off.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
its a first that i have heard of, then again some of us then go str8 into wine and other drinks once take off.
The drink you get at take-off is not champagne. It's sparkling wine and there is a big difference. A related issue is en route when they try to finish off the rest of the sparkling instead of cracking out the good stuff as advertised.

Score one for First World problems!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
The drink you get at take-off is not champagne. It's sparkling wine and there is a big difference. A related issue is en route when they try to finish off the rest of the sparkling instead of cracking out the good stuff as advertised.

Score one for First World problems!
ahh icc thanks for clarifying..... those both taste similar to me......... bubbly grape juice
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
I have experienced that too. When you then specifically ask for the champagne, they do go get it.

But I can see that if the severely restrict the number of bottles loaded, FAs would try make the limited supply last.

Cost cutting, again. Unnecessary levels of mid-management trying to justify their existence by optimizing their budget with no concern for the big picture. Corporate culture strikibg again? Once government, goverrnment forever?

Seems like no one has ever thought about the big savings that would ensue from cutting off these extra mid-managers instead of letting them loose on customers?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
I have experienced that too. When you then specifically ask for the champagne, they do go get it.

But I can see that if the severely restrict the number of bottles loaded, FAs would try make the limited supply last.

Cost cutting, again. Unnecessary levels of mid-management trying to justify their existence by optimizing their budget with no concern for the big picture. Corporate culture strikibg again? Once government, goverrnment forever?

Seems like no one has ever thought about the big savings that would ensue from cutting off these extra mid-managers instead of letting them loose on customers?
They can sure use a few Otto!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Seriously?
Seems like a legitimate complaint no? Seems like a pure cost cutting measure IMO.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: FT
wine selections are generally so poor that the only thing worth drinking IMO is champange and i do not drink shwill when it comes to wine so the least AC could do for me in J is have drappier and not run out. load extra cline syrah or what ever crap red they are serving these days.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: AC 75K
An outrage. One of the great AC SJ pleasures is Drappier.

The LEAST the crew could have done is load some soju at ICN.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
I presume they're not paying duty on it (hence being opened only after take off), so a bottle of Drappier shouldn't be more than $20-25 to AC, this really does seem silly.

PS - if it was an ICN-YVR flight last month, the YVR-ICN culprits were me and a friend. Sorry about that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.