Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread: eupgrade credits to gift to a new friend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread: eupgrade credits to gift to a new friend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: TK Elite, A3 Gold, AC Bottom of the Barrel now
Just to make sure the eUps get used by someone who can actually get the upgrade, could I ask for someone to shed light on the likelihood of getting an upgrade when:

* The nominator is SE100K
* The passenger is a non-status nominee
* The fare class is L/T/S
* The route is YVR-LHR or YYC-FRA

Thanks for any thoughts in advance... it's pretty key to have generous offers actually get used.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Hi All,

WaytoomuchEurope has offered his generosity to me for my upcoming trip to LHR in a couple of weeks. My question is the following - I have no status with AC/Aeroplan but am *G thru Copa/Connectmiles and that is where I credit all my travel to, will I have to change my FF to an aeroplan one if he nominates me for my trip, and will I lose out on crediting my miles to ConnectMiles? I signed up and got an Aeroplan account, but after reading the AC website about eUps I am not sure if I have to completely replace my ConnectMiles FF number for the booking

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Hi All,

WaytoomuchEurope has offered his generosity to me for my upcoming trip to LHR in a couple of weeks. My question is the following - I have no status with AC/Aeroplan but am *G thru Copa/Connectmiles and that is where I credit all my travel to, will I have to change my FF to an aeroplan one if he nominates me for my trip, and will I lose out on crediting my miles to ConnectMiles? I signed up and got an Aeroplan account, but after reading the AC website about eUps I am not sure if I have to completely replace my ConnectMiles FF number for the booking

Thanks!
@pmarrsouth
I will only comment on the nominee part of it.

Yes, it requires your Aeroplan number and name. There is no choice to defer, substitute, or delay this when becoming a nominee.

And being nominated as a nominee is a one time and final thing for the remainder of the benefit year ending on the last day of February. Once you are nominated, you are the nominee for good until then. The nominator cannot choose a different nominee after this, unless they maintain their SE status for the following benefit year, in which case they can choose another nominee to fill that one spot for the remainder of the next benefit year.
You are never nominated "for one flight".

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@pmarrsouth
I will only comment on the nominee part of it.

Yes, it requires your Aeroplan number and name. There is no choice to defer, substitute, or delay this when becoming a nominee.

And being nominated as a nominee is a one time and final thing for the remainder of the benefit year ending on the last day of February. Once you are nominated, you are the nominee for good until then. The nominator cannot choose a different nominee after this.
You are never nominated "for one flight".

Yes, I understand about the nominee being final part, I just don't want him to waste him nomination on me if I was to not able to credit the miles to ConnectMiles, so am trying to find out about this part first
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by outpost
Just to make sure the eUps get used by someone who can actually get the upgrade, could I ask for someone to shed light on the likelihood of getting an upgrade when:

* The nominator is SE100K
* The passenger is a non-status nominee
* The fare class is L/T/S
* The route is YVR-LHR or YYC-FRA

Thanks for any thoughts in advance... it's pretty key to have generous offers actually get used.
@outpost
The nominee takes on the priority of the nominator (which will be S100K) on the upgrade waitlist up to the point of the airport departure control waitlist, which then the status of the nominee is used instead of the nominator's status. So it is better to secure the upgrade in advance of hoping to get it at the gate.

Please also give the dates of the YVRLHR and YYCFRA flights in question so that we can check inventory and you give you a much better picture of the chances of your nominee securing an upgrade.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite, A3 Gold, AC Bottom of the Barrel now
Hi YYZ... thanks for this.

We've now checked into the flights and they are all over subscribed and waitlisted, so your offer of assistance is much appreciated, but no longer needed unfortunatley.

Outpost
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:13 pm

I have eupgrades expiring. If you are on AC101 (YYZ-YVR) on Feb 1st, I can try to do a companion e-upgrade at the airport.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello all,

A quick question for those expert flyers. I just recently got Elite 35K status (for the first time ever) and will be travelling YVR to LHR return in February. Based on the links, I have a regular Tango fare, so I know about the supplement. However, my question is that is there a snowballs chance in hell of getting an upgrade? I've flown YVR to LHR multiple times over the past 10-12 years and have never had a flight not be 100% full. I've always wanted to experience Business Class, but it doesn't seem likely given the lower status and the popularity of that segment. Can anyone shed some light?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FightorFlight
Hello all,

A quick question for those expert flyers. I just recently got Elite 35K status (for the first time ever) and will be travelling YVR to LHR return in February. Based on the links, I have a regular Tango fare, so I know about the supplement. However, my question is that is there a snowballs chance in hell of getting an upgrade? I've flown YVR to LHR multiple times over the past 10-12 years and have never had a flight not be 100% full. I've always wanted to experience Business Class, but it doesn't seem likely given the lower status and the popularity of that segment. Can anyone shed some light?
Welcome to FT.
It is typically difficult, but not unheard of. I know of E35Ks successfully upgrading to AC J on a TATL using their eUpgrades.
Which day is the flight that you want to upgrade, and is it for YVRLHR or LHRYVR?

Have you considered doing an upgrade bid or paying an LMU? Given you are on a Standard fare, the copay probably isn't worth it when comparing to possible upgrade bids/LMUs?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:57 pm

Welcome to FT.
It is typically difficult, but not unheard of. I know of E35Ks successfully upgrading to AC J on a TATL using their eUpgrades.
Which day is the flight that you want to upgrade, and is it for YVRLHR or LHRYVR?

Have you considered doing an upgrade bid or paying an LMU? Given you are on a Standard fare, the copay probably isn't worth it when comparing to possible upgrade bids/LMUs?
Thank you for the welcome and explaining to me the options. I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so forgive me if I don't understand fully.

Upgrade bids are minimum $1200, correct? In the past, all the Last Minute Upgrades were $2000+ on YVRLHR and LHRYVR was £1700! Maybe just bad luck that I was flying during peak times.

I'm looking to upgrade either YVRLHR on FEB 6 or the return LHRYVR on Feb18. If my understanding is correct based on reading the threads on FT, I would need Eupgrade credits and pay a $750 top-up?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the welcome and explaining to me the options. I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so forgive me if I don't understand fully.

Upgrade bids are minimum $1200, correct? In the past, all the Last Minute Upgrades were $2000+ on YVRLHR and LHRYVR was £1700! Maybe just bad luck that I was flying during peak times.

I'm looking to upgrade either YVRLHR on FEB 6 or the return LHRYVR on Feb18. If my understanding is correct based on reading the threads on FT, I would need Eupgrade credits and pay a $750 top-up?
Which Standard (no longer called Tango) fare class are you booked in?

WST has a copay starting at $600
GALK has a copay starting at $750

I am not well versed in all of the LMU prices for all routes... LMUs vary depending on initial base fare, availability, other factors, etc It could well be that the times you wanted to LMU that J was near full, but who knows.

Here's the master LMU offer amounts thread where you can see other LMU prices, but not every route is discussed:
Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Here's the master LMU discussion thread:
LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

As for bids, you seem to have more experience seeing these prices, but you may want to look at the master bid upgrading thread.
Here's the master bid upgrade thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-upgrades.html
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thumbs up

Which Standard (no longer called Tango) fare class are you booked in?

WST has a copay starting at $600
GALK has a copay starting at $750

I am not well versed in all of the LMU prices for all routes... LMUs vary depending on initial base fare, availability, other factors, etc It could well be that the times you wanted to LMU that J was near full, but who knows.

Here's the master LMU offer amounts thread where you can see other LMU prices, but not every route is discussed:

Here's the master LMU discussion thread:

As for bids, you seem to have more experience seeing these prices, but you may want to look at the master bid upgrading thread.
Here's the master bid upgrade thread:
Thank you so much for this info! I took a look and based on what I could gather, it means that I would either have to BID a minimum of $1200 (based on what it shows at Air Canada's bidding site) or try and do an e-upgrade with top-up. Being that my fare class is K, that means $750. That of course is if it even clears in the first place (with Elite 35K status). Guess I'll be praying to the eupgrade gods and crossing my fingers. Thanks so much for the help again!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired

Here is the availability on the outbound:
J9 C9 D9 Z6 P0 R0 O6 E5 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9

Here is the availability on the inbound:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 R6 O9 E9 N4 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0

The inbound (LHR-YVR) looks like you will have a better chance but it is just under a month away. So anything could happen.

If you really want to upgrade, your best bet would be to attempt it on the outbound first and if it doesn't clear, then on the inbound. Make sure you try to process at exactly T-8 Days.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
Here is the availability on the outbound:
J9 C9 D9 Z6 P0 R0 O6 E5 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9

Here is the availability on the inbound:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 R6 O9 E9 N4 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0

The inbound (LHR-YVR) looks like you will have a better chance but it is just under a month away. So anything could happen.

If you really want to upgrade, your best bet would be to attempt it on the outbound first and if it doesn't clear, then on the inbound. Make sure you try to process at exactly T-8 Days.
Thank you for this! I will certainly try my luck on the outbound first and if that fails, the inbound. However, because of my lower status, I believe I am only eligible to put in my eupgrades T-4; unless I am mistaken? I believe SE100K can upgrade much earlier. I guess it is looking unlikely if other status members can book T-8. I will try anyways and hope for the best. Thank you for being so helpful!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for this! I will certainly try my luck on the outbound first and if that fails, the inbound. However, because of my lower status, I believe I am only eligible to put in my eupgrades T-4; unless I am mistaken? I believe SE100K can upgrade much earlier. I guess it is looking unlikely if other status members can book T-8. I will try anyways and hope for the best. Thank you for being so helpful!
@FightorFlight
Yes, since this is international, you are subject to the T-4.

I think @danapop could be referring to the ongoing domestic/transborder eUpgrade promotion which doubles the eUpgrade window.
danapop likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.