Ski + Boot Bag Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Ski + Boot Bag Question

Looking at the AC website showed the following:

Ski or snowboard boot bag:

One boot bag is permitted per passenger and will not count as a piece of checked baggage if:
  • it is carried along with skis or snowboard and
  • it contains only boots.
A boot bag will count as a separate piece of checked baggage if:
  • it contains - or is designed to contain - other items, or
  • it is not carried along with a snowboard or set of skis.

I was wondering how strictly they enforce this rule, my main question being can you put your ski helmet in with the boots, and still have it accepted along with the skis as a single piece of checked baggage?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, SPG, Fairmont PC
Maybe you could, but do you really want to?

Personally, I usually pad my ski helmet really well in my suitcase or duffle. Not sure it would adequately protect my brain after being bashed and crushed by ski-boots while tumbling down the luggage carousel. And if your boots are your most treasured, difficult to fit, piece of your ski gear, consider taking them as carry-on. Can always rent skis if they're "delayed" or lost, but a perfect pair of boots is hard to replace.

Enjoy your travels!!!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Wink

Originally Posted by CdnTraveller
Looking at the AC website showed the following:

Ski or snowboard boot bag:

One boot bag is permitted per passenger and will not count as a piece of checked baggage if:
  • it is carried along with skis or snowboard and
  • it contains only boots.
A boot bag will count as a separate piece of checked baggage if:
  • it contains - or is designed to contain - other items, or
  • it is not carried along with a snowboard or set of skis.

I was wondering how strictly they enforce this rule, my main question being can you put your ski helmet in with the boots, and still have it accepted along with the skis as a single piece of checked baggage?
I've always put my helmet and boots together and never had a problem, done 4 ski trips this season so far via AC... mind you leniency may also be granted due to status.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BCABSkier
Personally, I usually pad my ski helmet really well in my suitcase or duffle. Not sure it would adequately protect my brain after being bashed and crushed by ski-boots while tumbling down the luggage carousel. And if your boots are your most treasured, difficult to fit, piece of your ski gear, consider taking them as carry-on. Can always rent skis if they're "delayed" or lost, but a perfect pair of boots is hard to replace.
+1

I have a specific boot/helmet bag. It also fits my gloves, goggles etc, and has carry-on compliant dimensions. Easy to rent skis than replace all the other stuff in a hurry.

Hopefully isn't against T&Cs - this is the one I have and has worked out great. Also lets you wear it like a backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
evergrn likes this.

Last edited by yvr76; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K, TK Elite
I've always put my boot bag as carry-on. Because of my flat feet I've had to get my boots custom fitted and punched for my feet. Much easier to rent skis to fit boots than trying to get custom fitted rental boots
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be wary of checking a helmet tbh, in a boot bag or in regular luggage. I'd probably take the helmet as carry on. Not worked with ski helmets specifically, but have some awareness about riding hats, and it is scary how much damage to them can be caused by very minor impact (e.g. rolling off a table less than 3 foot high = helmet that would not protect you adequately in the event of a fall).

AFAIK, you can shove other things in your boot bag, as long as you don't take the mickey (e.g. my goggles, ski socks, hat, gloves etc. all live in my boot bag).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
I have a specific boot/helmet bag. It also fits my gloves, goggles etc, and has carry-on compliant dimensions. Easy to rent skis than replace all the other stuff in a hurry.

Hopefully isn't against T&Cs - this is the one I have and has worked out great. Also lets you wear it like a backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
Will this still remain carry-on compliant, even after putting boots + helmet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.