Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Get a look at the 787

Get a look at the 787

Old Mar 5, 12, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
Note to AC: instead of 3-3-3 in Y, please also consider 2-3-3 or 3-2-3. I know that's a "weird" config, but it may have benefits to the pax which should in turn generate benefits to AC.
2-3-3 or 3-2-3 is the same as 2-4-2 (ANA's config) in terms of # seats. The core issue here is whether or not they'll decide on 8 or 9 seats per row in Y, and hence seat width.
Old Mar 5, 12, 4:31 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I really don't see how AC can market the 787 as a comfortable long-haul plane with 9 seats across. In ANA's 2-4-2 configuration, their seats are listed as about 18.5" wide, so in order to fit another seat in the row somewhere you need to reduce the width to about 16.5" - that's lower than AC's CRJ and DH1/3/4 planes!
Old Mar 6, 12, 1:41 pm

Not sure how reliable this is, but this blog post on boarding area predicts a 3-3-3 config on United's 787s based on their officially announced seat numbers.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-787-seat-map/

I think this would be a great opportunity for AC to introduce an E+ product. If they really want to do 3-3-3 in the back (32" seat pitch?), then do a few rows of 2-4-2 with 34". The additional revenue in E+ should make up for a few less seats.
Old Mar 6, 12, 4:04 pm

Additional information on the 777 from Ben Smith, possible new XM program, and possible Y+ seating...

I've underlined what I think are the most interesting parts.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...544/story.html

Ben Smith, Air Canada's chief commercial officer, who also was aboard the flight to Boston, said the carrier has yet to decide what its Dreamliner configuration will be. But he said most of the market research shows North American carriers will use a 3-3-3 seat configuration in economy class.

For business class, however, Air Canada is going to use the 787s to launch a new interior scheme and a brand-new class that will build on its popular lie-flat seats.

"We're just tweaking the design," he said. "We've taken a lot of feedback from our customers and our employees. There will be more efficient uses of space; there are ways to improve privacy, and conversations, if you're travelling with someone."

Once the 787 interior design is introduced, it will then be replicated throughout the refurbishment of the rest of Air Canada's fleet, Smith said.

Old Mar 6, 12, 4:21 pm

Looking at the United seat map I can see AC going that way, especially if they can't launch a low cost seperate airline

Back: UA Economy = AC Tango
Middle:UA Economy Plus= AC +Tango
Front: US Buisness First= AC Executive class
Old Mar 6, 12, 7:04 pm

Wouldn't middle be Latitude or Tango/Tango Plus + extra fees?
Old Mar 6, 12, 7:38 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Was this posted? A look inside for us non-SE plebs.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/inf...87-dreamliner/

The sole comment bashes AC, natch.
Old Mar 6, 12, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
Wouldn't middle be Latitude or Tango/Tango Plus + extra fees?
Tango is back of the bus , no soup for them

But I expect a bone tossed to SE / E /Latitude get into back of middle section, front part of the middle section probably extra fee.
Old Mar 7, 12, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer View Post

The sole comment bashes AC, natch.
Our national hobby (along with tim hortons )
Old Mar 7, 12, 4:06 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I recently flew on an AF 777 in a 10 abreast layout, man that was tight, and we had a set of 2 seats at the bulkhead too! I would would actually avoid that a/c type in future if I knew it was that kind of layout.

If AC wants to do 9 abreast in the 787 fine, that's their choice. But don't lie and tout it as a comfortable aircraft then.

Not sure about others, but I wouldn't consider an 8 abreast layout on a 787 to be Y+, at least not comparable to that of BA or others.
Old Mar 7, 12, 8:21 am
B1

Air Transat famously established its original A-330 with 3-3-3 while everyone else used 2-4-2. They now have a mix. The 3-3-3 version is beyond awful with a seat width of 16.5 inches. The dimensions match ACs plan for the 787 (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...s_A330-200.php)
Old Mar 7, 12, 8:47 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Air Transat famously established its original A-330 with 3-3-3 while everyone else used 2-4-2. They now have a mix. The 3-3-3 version is beyond awful with a seat width of 16.5 inches. The dimensions match ACs plan for the 787 (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...s_A330-200.php)
I believe Hawaiian Airlines used to have 2-4-2 on a 767, there was another airline too that used to have this, just can't remember their name now. Just awful.
Old Mar 7, 12, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
I just hope that our Demo of how bad the 3-3-3 is (and our pleading not to do it) on Friday has some effect. Having sat 3 of us in the bulkhead/exit row, it still would have been terrible even for a trans-con, let alone the long-haul this aircraft is intended for.

Given the intended usage pattern for these aircraft, I just can't see AC making such a disastrous move.
Old Mar 7, 12, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
I just hope that our Demo of how bad the 3-3-3 is (and our pleading not to do it) on Friday has some effect. Having sat 3 of us in the bulkhead/exit row, it still would have been terrible even for a trans-con, let alone the long-haul this aircraft is intended for.

Given the intended usage pattern for these aircraft, I just can't see AC making such a disastrous move.
I'm shocked that United would consider 3-3-3 on this aircraft. Maybe they're considering only using the 787 for domestic (they actually advertise lie-flat business class for some of their coast-to-coast domestic routes), but given the increasing waistline of the average American, I don't see how this makes sense.
Old Mar 7, 12, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post

It would seem that AC better not advertise they are getting their 787s as being a big deal, since they are going to be really horrible in Y. Especially compared with the 763 they replace.

Continuing to move toward the lowest common denominator I guess?

Search this Thread