Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ACPA claims AC planning offshore LCC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://business.financialpost.com/20...airline-union/
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting reading. Makes sense ,from my viewpoint ,that AC needs to go this direction
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
From the article (emphasis added):

The airline is looking at contracting out Air Canada’s pilots’ flying for Air Canada Cargo, Air Canada Vacations, and Aeroplan, and “a potentially massive reduction in transborder and overseas flying,” Capt. Tarves said in the memo to pilots.
Anyone care to suggest me how one could save money by contracting out 2I + 4X seats on a 777 and getting ACPA to fly the rest of the plane? Bizarre.

For that matter, how do you get ACPA to fly the PAX and contractors to fly the cargo in the belly?

Last edited by Souvlaki; Feb 2, 2012 at 6:21 am Reason: edit: "in the belly"
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Unhappy

C'mon, the company is headed by an investment banker. Did anyone expect les than complete gutting of 'our way of life' for unrestrained profit quests?
(Kind of of a euphanism for Canada as a whole these days).

Profit is not enough. You need quarter after record quarter. No holds barred. This is personal for them. See: Enron.

The middle class was quaint post WW2 marketing creation. It's over. In reality only two classes have ever existed: Kings and serfs. Or plantation owners and slaves. Adjusted for history the pattern is clear.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tangoer
C'mon, the company is headed by an investment banker. Did anyone expect les than complete gutting of 'our way of life' for unrestrained profit quests?(Kind of of a euphanism for Canada as a whole these days).
Profit is not enough. You need quarter after record quarter. No holds barred. This is personal for them. See: Enron.
The middle class was quaint post WW2 marketing creation. It's over. In reality only two classes have ever existed: Kings and serfs. Or plantation owners and slaves. Adjusted for history the pattern is clear.
And the problem with that is??
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
ACPA claims

The two most important words in the entire article.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Record profit???? Comparing AC to Enron????

What world are you living in?

Last edited by bcnfish; Feb 2, 2012 at 7:30 am
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
The two most important words in the entire article.
Say it is not so!!!! Two sides to a story?????
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: FT
apparently legacy airlines and sense of job for life entitlement seem to run rampant with AC...get over it people, times they are changing.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by SFO777
And the problem with that is??
Those aren't Canadian values (not that I'd expect you to comprehend that).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Those aren't Canadian values (not that I'd expect you to comprehend that).
Could've fooled me.

Most Canadian companies in protected sectors (telecoms, I m looking at you) are doing pretty much the exact same thing as AC. The only reason it keeps coming up with AC is becuase AC is a loss-maker and the other protected industries aren't. AC isn't doing anything un-Canadian - certainly nothing more un-Canadian than what Bell, Rogers et al have been inflicting on Canada for years.

Of course, AC doesn't help its cause by overpaying a group of executives who have all but destroyed the relationship between management and labor. But that's just the way it is. No one in Canada has the cojones to pull a Sir Stelios and lambast the airline executive for taking on fat cat bonuses. For those who don't know what I m talking about, Sir Stelios founded EasyJet and he's now launched a public attack on the 'fat cat' bonus being paid out. You'll never see that happen in Canada. And this despite the fact that Easy Jet is generally profitable, which is something you can't say about AC.

I think you might have misplaced the finger you once had on the pulse of Canadian values. Not only do we tolerate profiteering, we encourage it. AC's actions aren't out of character for Canada - they're only being noticed because the relationship between management and labor has broken down in spectacular fashion and gotten media coverage as a result. Not that this should have any bearing on the bonus Calin takes home. After all, he didn't contribute to the breakdown. And the buck stops somewhere elsem not with the CEO.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Given that AC's pilot (and I believe FA) unions have both rejected out of hand the LCC overtures AC has made, can you really blame management for exploring other alternatives (if that is in fact what they are doing)?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Given that AC's pilot (and I believe FA) unions have both rejected out of hand the LCC overtures AC has made, can you really blame management for exploring other alternatives (if that is in fact what they are doing)?
I would like some details on the overtures.

My understanding is that AC has refused to tell the ACPA which routes will go LCC and how they will be affected as a result of it. Launching an LCC is well and good, but if the LCC takes over, say, YYZ-BCN, then what happens to the pilots who fly it now? Will their salaries get cut? Will they be replaced by the lower paid new lot? That, to me, appears to be the sticking point.

Bit difficult to demand concessions when you refuse to tell people how making those concessions will affect them. I assume the overtures have addressed this? Or do AC's overtures amount to "just trust us"?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Isn't the issue that there are many people in Canada who would gladly work as an AC Pilot for far less than AC Pilots currently earn? It's not like there's a shortage of people who want to become pilots.

Through Union work rules AC has no way to hire the cheaper staff who would gladly do the job even if they offered to provide them with all training etc. I suppose they sort of got around this with Jazz and the other outsourced flying operations but that only covers a subset of flights. I realize Jazz is also unionized but I'm guessing there less expensive than AC mainline pilots or they likely wouldn't of bothered creating Jazz in the first place.

If AC decides to off shore the carrier those will be jobs that aren't likely coming back anytime soon. I suppose the AC main line pilots they retain can enjoy their raise though.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:00 pm

The threshold to be a 1%'er in Canada is $169,500 per year. There are many Air Canada pilots making more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.