Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
lol I think there was someone around here a while back who boasted they found the silver pouch quite classy to use even as a camera case or a clutch!

What's a sockett?
Pretty sure it was MargaritaGirl who used the silver one to carry a camera around at "fancy dress" parties... haha

I assume sockett is sock things?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
On YYZ-ZRH last week, they had the daytime kits at all the pods upon boarding. I inquired if this was a change, and the FA first said that was all they had. Just before takeoff she found the overnight kits and ran around the cabin distributing them to everyone. Not sure if they had loaded enough of the daytime kits for the return flight, as many of them had been opened by many outbound passengers at that point in time.
another top notch well trained AC crew. Must make Calin proud as a new Daddy!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
lol I think there was someone around here a while back who boasted they found the silver pouch quite classy to use even as a camera case or a clutch!

What's a sockett?
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Pretty sure it was MargaritaGirl who used the silver one to carry a camera around at "fancy dress" parties... haha

LOL. Sorry that wasn't me.

Sockettes are those sock things that are very useful for throwing wine bottles in especially if you're carrying several of them! (Hopefully, the sockettes haven't been on your feet and then in the head! )
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Sockettes are those sock things that are very useful for throwing wine bottles in especially if you're carrying several of them!...
I see... I always called them over socks.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by mtensioners
another top notch well trained AC crew. Must make Calin proud as a new Daddy!
I was impressed that they responded to my inquiry, rather than just blowing me off!:-:
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I was impressed that they responded to my inquiry, rather than just blowing me off!:-:
Wow you get blown off inflight? I mean do they use an electric fan or a hand held asian style fan?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
That was me, and I still do it. Looks a lot better than a camera case when I'm in a gown.

I also like the boxy shape for carrying computer cables, etc. but prefer to use clear cases because it helps TSA workers inspect ones wires quickly and to find things quickly in my computer bag.

I'm not sure I've got a favourite amenity bag from our collection. The most used are the boxy ones that were two zippered compartments, one with a see through side where I put usb adapters and other thin things, and then the deeper compartment that will hold longer cables. Bonus with that is that I have one in green and another in blue.

Years ago, there was a red one that opened like a book which I used to hold my noise cancelling headphones since mine were cheaper and didn't come with a case like the Bose did.

The only First Class kit I got was from Lufthansa and and I used it as a colourful clutch but it only works with less dressy outfits. I find it is better to simply not forget to pack the evening bags since one can't count on amenity kits to work in a pinch.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
The only First Class kit I got was from Lufthansa and and I used it as a colourful clutch but it only works with less dressy outfits. I find it is better to simply not forget to pack the evening bags since one can't count on amenity kits to work in a pinch.
Please don't tell me it's the LH Rimowa ones you're using as a 'clutch'!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Those Rimowa bags still look much better than the silver bags from AC!

Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Sockettes are those sock things that are very useful for throwing wine bottles in especially if you're carrying several of them! (Hopefully, the sockettes haven't been on your feet and then in the head! )
Thats a use that I hadn't thought of before. They just used to be comfortable to wear. A good compromise between a slipper and a sock.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It would be the female Bogner bags which are a made of a cream white rubbery substance and have the classic cloth ribbon branding. Does look like a small woman's clutch. Not sure the men's version looks so chic.

The new LH F Bogner -- Rimowas come and go and have been gone for quite a while -- is the same design but clear plastic so it can be used as a see-through for airport security. At first it looks repellant but once you get what it's further use is intended for, makes sense. Nicer than a baggie! SQ is using the same concept in its current F bags.

I use the old AC squarish silver bag for electrical plugs and converters, a mesh see-through one from UA for my inflight survival kit so TSA can see the mini-bottles and tubes, and a classic old LH black leather one for my Leica D4. The Anya Handmarsh BA F kit (black and white photo of a 1930/40s flying boat) handles the rest of my toiletries in my checked bag.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
LOL. Sorry that wasn't me.

Sockettes are not the current variety of socks that one puts on over one's regular socks. They are more like slippers, but are cloth and come up to the ankle. The bottoms were are rubbery fabric material. These used to be the standard F foot covering but have been edged out by the poor quality and much cheaper socks we now get. I still have a few pairs (unused) left over that I use on my overseas flights, though I've taken to using the slippers LH and most carriers in Asia now give out.

But agree with MG that the current ones make good cushioning for wine and other bottles, though I've always used my worn socks and plastic bags to securely package such acquisitions and keep them safe and secure for travel. (Oh for the days we could just bring a pilots bag filled with wine and micro brews on board!)
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
The silver pouch has been my most reliable cord carrying bag in my laptop case. Much better than the red case or green cases AC used to have, or the blue LH/BA ones.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Does anyone remember when Canadian Airlines used to have men's and women's amenity kits on their trans-Pacific flights (DC10s) with Hermes products? AC kits have barely registered as mediocre for years, though I've found that shelters are grateful for them.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Does anyone remember the red book style kits, they were great. Very durable soft cover which I still use today as my passport and ticket wallet. They had socks, lip balm, cream, shoe horn and a mint foot mist spray (some flyers today could sure use) and the case was fairly classy.I think they were around about 10 years ago, does anyone remember?? To date they are my favourite kit itself (not products).

Currently in my flying J flying the Malaysian Airlines J kit is hard to beat, full of great clarins products and quite generous also Asiana is quite nice with L'ocitaine, both much superior to AC, UA, LX, BA, QF etc.

I just flew LHR-YVR and also had the wrap style day kit which I guess is fine but on J day flights, however with Malaysian and Asiana of the same length (or less) in the day you get the regular full kit^.

SYD/YYZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.