Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Thinking about this more...if 'O' eUps into 'P' and 'P' is eligible for the Signature Suite then can access be granted? I'm thinking not because it wasn't originally booked into 'P', but wondering if anyone has tried .

*Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. All bookings in R (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, AC Bid Upgrades) and I (including, but not limited to, Aeroplan® Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards® for travel on Air Canada flights or Star Alliance® member airlines, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.
Still originally booked in O, so no.

I have been through YYZ on upgraded O fares to eligible destinations with no mention of access to SSL a handful of times, and I didn't ask because my original ticket purchase was not J,C,D,Z,P.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Thinking about this more...if 'O' eUps into 'P' and 'P' is eligible for the Signature Suite then can access be granted? I'm thinking not because it wasn't originally booked into 'P', but wondering if anyone has tried .

*Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. All bookings in R (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, AC Bid Upgrades) and I (including, but not limited to, Aeroplan® Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards® for travel on Air Canada flights or Star Alliance® member airlines, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.
Does NOT work. I've told told it pulls from P and processes as R. Either way it shows as an upgrade and no soup for you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So what you're saying is that if I am on an 'O'-fare and it is showing P8 R0, I can still have my eUp clear? I have been told countless times that eUps pull from R-space, but if there is something definitive I can tell the agent to use the P-space, this would avoid a lot of headache.
Fantastic. I *really* appreciate this!
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
No, not eligible.
And you are not upgrading into P, you are upgrading from P, into R.
I think it's time for me to do more wikis in this forum. I think this thread might be next.
@YVRtoYYZ

All eUpgrades come from R and hence become R once eUpgraded.

As alluded to by IluvSQ and others, additionally, International Latitude upgrades can be based on P but still come from R regardless of R (even if R=0). So if this happens, it is still "R" even if R was showing 0 when you eUpgraded.

Agents, who have advised you that Latitude eUpgrades must be based on R, are incorrect.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:44 pm Reason: Added "Latitude"
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YULforever
Does NOT work. I've told told it pulls from P and processes as R. Either way it shows as an upgrade and no soup for you.
Soup is one of the few things the MLL tends to offer.
D404 and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I can't believe how many pax ask the FAs if they can sit up front.

They know what they're doing. They don't sound dumb. They're trying to get a free upgrade on board.

It happens on all the empty SFO-YVR flights (this one was booked 2/14 in J).

Why play the R games if you can just talk your way up?

And no, he was not permitted to self-upgrade.
D582 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't believe how many pax ask the FAs if they can sit up front.

They know what they're doing. They don't sound dumb. They're trying to get a free upgrade on board.

It happens on all the empty SFO-YVR flights (this one was booked 2/14 in J).

Why play the R games if you can just talk your way up?

And no, he was not permitted to self-upgrade.
These may be Westjet flyers first time on AC.
Westjet allows folks in economy to move to empty "Premium Economy" seats in the front once boarding has been completed for a fixed price. They have a set price. FA would tell the passengers the extra cost and FA can take payment - credit card only.
I was on a WS flight YVR to YYZ at Christmas and that's what I saw. There were 3 of them and they all pulled out credit cards to pay for the "upgrade".
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by Clipper801
These may be Westjet flyers first time on AC.
Westjet allows folks in economy to move to empty "Premium Economy" seats in the front once boarding has been completed for a fixed price. They have a set price. FA would tell the passengers the extra cost and FA can take payment - credit card only.
I was on a WS flight YVR to YYZ at Christmas and that's what I saw. There were 3 of them and they all pulled out credit cards to pay for the "upgrade".
If you were able to purchase an upgrade after being on the plane, and willing to do so, then shouldn't you just pay at check-in or in advance? I don't understand waiting to see if there is room and then suddenly deciding you are willing to pay for the upgrade. Unless of course you are extremely susceptible to FOMO
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by TOR27
If you were able to purchase an upgrade after being on the plane, and willing to do so, then shouldn't you just pay at check-in or in advance? I don't understand waiting to see if there is room and then suddenly deciding you are willing to pay for the upgrade. Unless of course you are extremely susceptible to FOMO
One might change their mind about spending x hours in an AC (Rouge or other) Y seat after seeing it or sitting down.

Having recently been rebooked onto a flight I didn't originally request, and losing my extra leg room seat but not really comprehending it until I sat down and found my legs barely fit, I'd have pulled out my credit card it it would have made a difference. Especially as there were spare seats.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I could totally see someone upgrade at any cost if they boarded and found themselves sat next to my mother-in-law.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94
One might change their mind about spending x hours in an AC (Rouge or other) Y seat after seeing it or sitting down.

Having recently been rebooked onto a flight I didn't originally request, and losing my extra leg room seat but not really comprehending it until I sat down and found my legs barely fit, I'd have pulled out my credit card it it would have made a difference. Especially as there were spare seats.
AC taking note: Charge more for on-board upgrade
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:55 am

These people I see doing it are asking the SD before they see their seat, and they typically have some level of Altitude tags, so they know exactly what they're doing.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by songsc
AC taking note: Charge more for on-board upgrade
More, less, whatever. AC are clearing missing a revenue stream here.

AC loves flying with empty seats especially in J. Why not flog them on board? We know they can (normally) take payments for food on board, so why not seats? Even on long haul flights they have those machines for duty free right?

They could auction them off while waiting at the gate, press your call button instead of raising your hand. Maybe that'd actually get the staff to pay attention to the buttons for once

$70 do I hear $80, $80 can I get $90, going once, going ...

It'd fix YBYL anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
More, less, whatever. AC are clearing missing a revenue stream here.

AC loves flying with empty seats especially in J. Why not flog them on board? We know they can (normally) take payments for food on board, so why not seats? Even on long haul flights they have those machines for duty free right?

They could auction them off while waiting at the gate, press your call button instead of raising your hand. Maybe that'd actually get the staff to pay attention to the buttons for once

$70 do I hear $80, $80 can I get $90, going once, going ...

It'd fix YBYL anyway.
Because they don't want to give the impression that a seat is only worth $70, $80, $90. They've made their attitude on this very clear. Their belief is that someone like me who will often buy J or an upgradable fare class would start spending $1000 less per ticket, and spending $100 on board. So it wouldn't necessarily be more revenue.
YYT82 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because they don't want to give the impression that a seat is only worth $70, $80, $90. They've made their attitude on this very clear. Their belief is that someone like me who will often buy J or an upgradable fare class would start spending $1000 less per ticket, and spending $100 on board. So it wouldn't necessarily be more revenue.
Yes, that was made very clear by AC execs, and I agree with their approach.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:04 pm

Well $70 was just an example. They could do it for $800 or whatever the going LMU rate is

If they’re willing to accept $x at airport checkin, or even at the gate (never tried that late) why not on board?

On board is obviously going to be after all upgrades and standbys have cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.