Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I missed this connection and was rebooked on a flight with no J cabin.

It can't even show a booking reference (presumably because I was not booked on that flight).

Any idea when I'll get the credits back?
If you don't get your credits back by the time your AQM posts, write in and you'll get them back in three days.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Looking to upgrade on AC1173 and AC538 on July 2nd. I am currently 5 days away from being able to enter my upgrade request (traveling with E35K who will supply eupgrades). AC1173 is currently J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K9. The flight as a whole looks pretty wide open to me. What strikes me is the R0 when J9. I know that we'll most likely be waitlisted but how likely is it between YYZ-YVR that J will remain wide open? I feel like we may have a chance is J remains a high number.
Best possible outcome I could imagine occurred. This evening, under T2 before AC1173, the flight jumped from R0 to R9. Canceled my upgrade request that was waitlisted, and was able to clear the upgrade. Never had this happen before, but extremely happy with the outcome.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Best possible outcome I could imagine occurred. This evening, under T2 before AC1173, the flight jumped from R0 to R9. Canceled my upgrade request that was waitlisted, and was able to clear the upgrade. Never had this happen before, but extremely happy with the outcome.
I've seen flights jump from R0 to R9 very close in when they know they can't sell anything.

But good on you for catching it and reacting.

You avoided ML*1
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You avoided ML*1
Remind me again what ML*1 means. I had that on my BP when eUpped at the gate FRA-YYZ recently - but the SD came round to SEs first asking for their choices so I had my choice of meal.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Remind me again what ML*1 means. I had that on my BP when eUpped at the gate FRA-YYZ recently - but the SD came round to SEs first asking for their choices so I had my choice of meal.
It means you were a gate upgrade.

If there is a SHORTAGE of meals, you will be asked after everyone without an ML* code, but before ML*2, etc.

However, I have seen some SDs ask ML*1 after everyone else, even if they're SE.

You're just less likely to have an issue if you don't have an ML* code.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I've had plenty of ML* codes over the year. I've even had ML*5 and still gotten a meal, so it seems rare to have a flight undercatered
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:44 am

I've had plenty of ML* codes over the year. I've even had ML*5 and still gotten a meal, so it seems rare to have a flight undercatered
I can recall two flights in 2016 where I did not get a meal.

One was ML*1 (two meals were loaded and J went out with around 6 people), the other had no ML* code (no meals were loaded).

I also had one in 2013 (ML*1 if I recall). I was only E35K. The SD offered me a meal, but I said I declined in favor of something from the back, which allowed that meal to go to another passenger.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:44 am

eupgrades and R class numbers

Hi,

I'm new to eupgrades and thought I'd try to use them on an upcoming flight. I'm still a while away from when I can request the upgrades, but I've been monitoring the flights to try and get a sense of what my odds are as a lowly 25K Altitude member.

For the outbound flight, business class seems to be about half full when I look on the Air Canada site, but I see that the number of R seats available is fluctuating over time between 6 and 9 (out of about 18 available). I can see why the number might go down, but why would it go up again? Are new seats added to the inventory over time?

For the return flight, business class appears to be almost empty (!) yet R=0. Why would this be? Am I just out of luck here or will the waitlist come to my rescue?

I realize that as my flight date nears those with higher status may well snap up whatever R seats are out there, but I'm curious to know from others' experience whether a 25K might have a realistic chance via the waitlist to get upgraded.

If I don't get an upgrade, it's really no big deal to me; I just thought this would be an opportunity to try and see how the system works. Any thoughts or advice?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
It would go up and down based off how revenue management sees fit or to balance oversold in economy I think
The system works in mysterious ways. :P

As far as it being empty or full on the seat map might not be reflective to actual load.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jul 15, 2016 at 10:49 am Reason: Wrong Info
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Just for clarification purposes but how can you tell from the AC site what class of business seat is available. I thought that info was only available on other sites such expert flyer...
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AMJP
Just for clarification purposes but how can you tell from the AC site what class of business seat is available. I thought that info was only available on other sites such expert flyer...
Depending on the route, if one chooses the "fares eligible for eupgrade", etc, and it's not blue, then R is not available. (for flex fares)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
There's no inherent reason why R=0 or not, you should just keep checking.

It would go up and down based off how revenue management sees fit or to balance oversold in economy I think
The system works in mysterious ways. :P

As far as it being empty or full on the seat map might not be reflective to actual load.
There are nothing but inherent reasons for why R=0.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:53 am

Sorry not to be clear - yes, looking on AC site to see "available" seats, and looking on Expert Flyer to see R seats.

Originally Posted by AMJP
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:02 am

I didn't know that - very handy. Thanks!

Yes, for the return flight it's not blue and says I would be waitlisted.

Given that the cabin is almost empty, what are the odds of getting a seat from the waitlist, given my low status?

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Depending on the route, if one chooses the "fares eligible for eupgrade", etc, and it's not blue, then R is not available. (for flex fares)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ds27

Given that the cabin is almost empty, what are the odds of getting a seat from the waitlist, given my low status?
Depends on route, date, J loads, and # of people on the waitlist.

We can probably help you judge the first 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.