Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fares, points and operating carrier question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I know, I know, there is a whole rant post on it, but as I went thru it, unless I missed it, I did not see my particular question:

If I book a UA fare, that is operated by Air Canada in K class, will I get mileage?

United Airlines 8501
operated by AIR CANADA -- AC 0605

United Airlines 8132
operated by QK /JAZZ DBA AIR CANADA JAZZ -- AC 7903

United Airlines 1407

operated by CONTINENTAL AIRLINES -- CO 1407

I assume for flights UA8132 it is a yes, as AC does not have no mileage earning buckets on transborder flights.

UA1407 is a deff yes as UA and CO only have 100% earning buckets, (and are the same company afterall)

But my concern is the first flight on AC605 UA8501

Any experiences to share?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MP
The booking class of the operating carrier is all that matters to Aeroplan. The booking class of the carriers that sell you the ticket means absolutely nothing.

AC K class earns 100% miles. See http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...tner=AirCanada
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g46r
The booking class of the operating carrier is all that matters to Aeroplan. The booking class of the carriers that sell you the ticket means absolutely nothing.

AC K class earns 100% miles. See http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...tner=AirCanada
I know, my question is how the UA K fare is going to map over to the AC fare. I am sure the transborder flight will be fine as AC does not have tango fares transborder, but the domestic fare being K (one of UA's lowest) might go over to a tango fare bucket on AC. I am asking for people who have flown AC as a UA codeshare for their experiences...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
I know, I know, there is a whole rant post on it, but as I went thru it, unless I missed it, I did not see my particular question:

If I book a UA fare, that is operated by Air Canada in K class, will I get mileage?

United Airlines 8501
operated by AIR CANADA -- AC 0605

United Airlines 8132
operated by QK /JAZZ DBA AIR CANADA JAZZ -- AC 7903

United Airlines 1407

operated by CONTINENTAL AIRLINES -- CO 1407

I assume for flights UA8132 it is a yes, as AC does not have no mileage earning buckets on transborder flights.
UA1407 is a deff yes as UA and CO only have 100% earning buckets, (and are the same company afterall)

But my concern is the first flight on AC605 UA8501

Any experiences to share?
The part of your post that I have underlined is certainly not true (unless you put the double negative on purpose, in which case your sentence would be true).

Tango fare buckets are typically available on transborder tickets; its just that on transborder tickets AC typically does not sell fares that correspond to any of those fare buckets.

For example, I looked up fare bucket availability on flightstats.com for YHZ-YYZ-CLE for AC 605 and AC 7903 on March 17, 2012 (I picked a date over a month out to hopefully maximise the number of seats that would be available for sale).

Here are the results:

AC605 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T2 L1 K1 N9 G9 P9 E2 A1
AC7903 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 A9

The Tango fare buckets are N G P E A. As you can see, there is certainly availability in the Tango fare bucket on both the domestic and the transborder flight.

While highly unlikely, it is certainly possible that your UA flight could map to a Tango fare bucket despite the fact that you are on a transborder trip. If you can avoid booking the codeshare, I'd certainly try.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
The part of your post that I have underlined is certainly not true (unless you put the double negative on purpose, in which case your sentence would be true).

Tango fare buckets are typically available on transborder tickets; its just that on transborder tickets AC typically does not sell fares that correspond to any of those fare buckets.

For example, I looked up fare bucket availability on flightstats.com for YHZ-YYZ-CLE for AC 605 and AC 7903 on March 17, 2012 (I picked a date over a month out to hopefully maximise the number of seats that would be available for sale).

Here are the results:

AC605 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T2 L1 K1 N9 G9 P9 E2 A1
AC7903 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 A9

The Tango fare buckets are N G P E A. As you can see, there is certainly availability in the Tango fare bucket on both the domestic and the transborder flight.

While highly unlikely, it is certainly possible that your UA flight could map to a Tango fare bucket despite the fact that you are on a transborder trip. If you can avoid booking the codeshare, I'd certainly try.
*sigh* well I guess i need to hear from people who book UA but fly AC metal....

If i book on orbitz does the 24h cancelation rule apply? I could book, check with AC and if it is not a good fare bucket cancel?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
*sigh* well I guess i need to hear from people who book UA but fly AC metal....

If i book on orbitz does the 24h cancelation rule apply? I could book, check with AC and if it is not a good fare bucket cancel?
i don't think AC's 24 hour cancellation policy applies to TAs, you would be subjected to orbitz's own policy
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE
I've book with UA to fly AC metal on several occasions. I can't recall what the fare class was for all of the flights but the AC metal flight was either from YYZ to a US destination or a US destination to YYZ. In all instances I received status miles from AE.

I hope that helps.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, Orbitz has a 24 hour cancel policy.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

thanks guys
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MP
Put your UA's PNR into ac.com and you might be able to pull up your PNR there - and check the booking class on AC.

Otherwise, call UA and get your AC's PNR code, then check ac.com
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
What happens if I take a flight on Brussels Airlines 4140 operated by JetAirways Economy Class (B)? Brussels is *A but Jet is not.

Last edited by fluffydot; Jan 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:03 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fluffydot
What happens if I take a flight on Brussels Airlines 4140 operated by JetAirways Economy Class (B)? Brussels is *S but Jet is not.
You can only earn miles on Jet if the flight was booked and ticketed by AC, since Jet is a codeshare partner of AC but not in *A.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:04 pm

Sorry to dig up this not-so-old thread, as I am in the same position, and I don't see any updates from the OP as to the outcome

I'm looking at YYZ-MSY-IAH route, where YYZ-MSY is operated by Jazz but has UA flight number 8623. According to UA it is booked under their "L" fare bucket. Wondering whether OP got the miles for his/her UA codeshare flights?
Old May 23, 2012, 4:25 pm
alc

Originally Posted by calligow
Sorry to dig up this not-so-old thread, as I am in the same position, and I don't see any updates from the OP as to the outcome

I'm looking at YYZ-MSY-IAH route, where YYZ-MSY is operated by Jazz but has UA flight number 8623. According to UA it is booked under their "L" fare bucket. Wondering whether OP got the miles for his/her UA codeshare flights?
did you try look up your reservation on www.aircanada.com, if it doesn't work, just call Air Canada and ask for the PNR number for your flight.. then look it up. You will be able to find out exactly what is the fare class.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alc
did you try look up your reservation on www.aircanada.com, if it doesn't work, just call Air Canada and ask for the PNR number for your flight.. then look it up. You will be able to find out exactly what is the fare class.
I believe you would need to call AC reservations to find out AC's booking class. If you pull up the PNR on ac.com it would still show UA 8623 booked in L, everything else is "behind the scenes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.