Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 869 LHR-YYZ Jan 15: Where did they find the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;

On 869 LHR-YYZ yesterday (15th) and we had to deplane because a truck hit one of the cargo doors. The 767 was pulled out of service, but we were on another 767 within an hour.

Considering the plane change, was impressed we were just two hour late arriving in YYZ. Where'd they find the extra 767 in LHR?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Were there any other AC flight delays from LHR after you guys got that 767?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AC
Recently happened to me on AC 161 to Vancouver as well from YYZ.

We were already 2 hours delayed when the captain came out to the waiting area and announced that they couldnt get the problem fixed, but he had arranged for another aircraft. About one hour later luggage and food was moved over and we were boarded.

Was impressed that the flight crew came out to speak to us. When they said there would be a switch I feared that we might get a pineapple or an amigo, but it was an XM'd 767.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:41 am

This is the main advantage to flying a major carrier instead of Air Transat or the like. If Transat loses a plane you wait until it's fixed. They don't have spare planes just lying around waiting to substitute.

Presumably they had to do quick turn-arounds on all the remaining flights that day until they could get a new plane over. I think there's lots of padding on the LHR turnarounds because of the variability in the length of the flight and the LHR delays. Also they can't really get more than one round trip TATL so they end up with extra time anyways.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, AC 'nobody anymore'.
The aircraft arrived at 915am (local) as AC888 from Ottawa. They obviously turned it around pretty quick to have you out just after 11am! ^AC
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by canadianpilot
The aircraft arrived at 915am (local) as AC888 from Ottawa. They obviously turned it around pretty quick to have you out just after 11am! ^AC
What about the people flying back to Ottawa, were they delayed in London, or routed through YYZ.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yul36
What about the people flying back to Ottawa, were they delayed in London, or routed through YYZ.
Precisely, that was my question as well.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:05 pm

I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought I read it on FT somewhere before...

IIRC due to the high frequecy of flights at LHR, the way that AC schedules its plans at LHR essentially allowed for there to be a spare stationed at that airport. That way, if an AC aircraft goes mechanical in Europe, the "spare" at LHR could be dispatched without needing to wait for a replacement to come in all the way from Canada. Does anyone remember/know if this is true?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YEG USER

IIRC due to the high frequecy of flights at LHR, the way that AC schedules its plans at LHR essentially allowed for there to be a spare stationed at that airport. That way, if an AC aircraft goes mechanical in Europe, the "spare" at LHR could be dispatched without needing to wait for a replacement to come in all the way from Canada. Does anyone remember/know if this is true?
I don't think there is a spare, but there is at least one aircraft that spends the night at LHR before heading out first thing in the morning.

Taking the aircraft from another flight probably just bought them time to address the issue and then dispatch the fixed aircraft on a later flight.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jan 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by yul36
Not sure. Looks like there was a 20 minute delay on 889 to Ottawa yesterday - but no cancellations that I can see.

However they worked it out, I was impressed with how it was all handled. Nice
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER

I've read this before, too, that AC keeps a spare in Europe somewhere (FRA) I thought but it was a while ago that I read that so my memory could well be off.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arf04
I've read this before, too, that AC keeps a spare in Europe somewhere (FRA) I thought but it was a while ago that I read that so my memory could well be off.
Why? You would need a crew to be stationed somewhere to ferry the a/c. Takes time and co-ordination. and would likely be easier to dispatch from NA.
I envision a scenario of a 763 in FRA with a crew available that is trained on a B777 or A330. Does not make sense,perhaps someone could enlighten me.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
Why? You would need a crew to be stationed somewhere to ferry the a/c. Takes time and co-ordination. and would likely be easier to dispatch from NA.
I envision a scenario of a 763 in FRA with a crew available that is trained on a B777 or A330. Does not make sense,perhaps someone could enlighten me.
Me, too, the crew would be on a permanent vacation until they are needed?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
There is definitely no spare AC aircraft at FRA, if there was one anywhere in Europe it would be at LHR due to the number of destinations served from there.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
I'm only stating that I read this somewhere on FT. If I have time I'll see if I can do a search. Doesn't make much sense to me either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.