Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seat selection ua/us airways aeroplan award

Old Jan 13, 12, 6:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Looking for feedback....

Booked yvr to dca on us and ua using aeroplan. I have star gold status on AC. I did not book seats ahead of time. In both cases when doing OLCI, i was offered seat selection for a price. I did not know what my pre assigned seats were before being offered. US air seemed to require payment for ANY seat selected. UA only for economy plus. I did not pay and then went to print boarding passes which had my seats printed on them. (which i was not aware of prior to printing)

question: is this now common? Not to reveal assigned seats prior to offering seat selection for a price? I'm used to having seats assigned and then knowing what you're trading up for if you do decide to pay.

Follow up: in dca i asked at dc bagge check in for better seats. "flights are all full check at gate". When i went to UA RCC, i asked the same thing and he pumped out two new boarding passes with economy plus seats. very pleasant surprise. Are star gold automatically allowed preferred seating upon check in?

Lorna
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:12 pm

Programs: aeroplan
I think it is. Recently flew from YYZ to MCO via ORD on UA and was not shown seats assigned until after getting through the check in process. The seats assigned for my family of four were not together so we had to address that at the airport. Also, it was showing that only premium seats were available. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal recently that addressed the issue. It also pointed out that many of the airlines in the US often will not show if there are non-premium seats available as they want you to pay up.
Old Jan 13, 12, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Lornag View Post
question: is this now common? Not to reveal assigned seats prior to offering seat selection for a price? I'm used to having seats assigned and then knowing what you're trading up for if you do decide to pay.
The prospect of "not having a seat" probably freaks enough people out that they pay to choose one.

Originally Posted by Lornag View Post
Follow up: in dca i asked at dc bagge check in for better seats. "flights are all full check at gate". When i went to UA RCC, i asked the same thing and he pumped out two new boarding passes with economy plus seats. very pleasant surprise. Are star gold automatically allowed preferred seating upon check in?
E+ at check-in is not a *G benefit with UA. Instead, on full flights for which you do not have a seat assignment, the ordinary seats fill up. In order to get everyone on the plane, UA is forced to give away E+ seats for free.
Old Jan 14, 12, 12:22 am

+1 economy plus is not a given to other Star Alliance gold members (except UA/CO own members)
Old Jan 14, 12, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
+1 economy plus is not a given to other Star Alliance gold members (except UA/CO own members)
as it should be

keep in mind - "premium" seats on CO for the time being are available at checkin to anybody, because there is nothing premium about them. The exception are Extended Legroom (ELR) seats (exits/bulkheads), which apparently cost money.

The best strategy on full flights for UA flights is to wait until airport and ask nicely, usually best bet is at the UC, and as many report here, you ll be given an economy plus seat.

well, except for AM, who posted numerous times that if you are given economy plus seating its because United wanted to thank/enourage you to redeem more Aeroplan points on them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: