Search

AC award inventory C 4 months out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM
AC award inventory C 4 months out

Hi guys, first post in AC so be gentle,

have a bunch of M&M miles, looking to book a C award return on AC GVA to YEG (via YUL) anytime in May. It would be my first flight on AC.
On expert flyer you find a few (very few) seats on the inbound. But the return is totally zero. How active is AC in managing the award inventory? Any chance of something opening up? Business class in general has good availability in J and C.

While I'm at it, and don't kill me because I'm sure this can be searched, if I buy an eco, what are the chances of upgrading that later? Actually am sure all questions could be searched but it is kind of specific: flight to Edmonton, Jan now flight in May... But at least get to know some AC folks!

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
Award Inventory seems to be managed pretty tightly but depends on routes. Keep checking to see if more seats get released i guess.

In terms of your other question. You can upgrade flights a few ways. If you hold status with Air Canada and have upgrade credits then they are your best bet. Your status and fare class determine when you can request the upgrade.

If you are hoping for a Star Alliance upgrade then you will have to buy a Latitude fare (class Y or B) and can use your miles for the upgrade. You can find more information about it here. http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...de_awards.html
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:06 am

In my experience AC is terrible at managing inventory.

They don't seem to release more seats to starnet closer to departure even if the cabin is wide open.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Lennart
Hi guys, first post in AC so be gentle,

have a bunch of M&M miles, looking to book a C award return on AC GVA to YEG (via YUL) anytime in May. It would be my first flight on AC.
On expert flyer you find a few (very few) seats on the inbound. But the return is totally zero. How active is AC in managing the award inventory? Any chance of something opening up? Business class in general has good availability in J and C.

While I'm at it, and don't kill me because I'm sure this can be searched, if I buy an eco, what are the chances of upgrading that later? Actually am sure all questions could be searched but it is kind of specific: flight to Edmonton, Jan now flight in May... But at least get to know some AC folks!

Thanks!
Have you used say Continental or Aeroplan's award booking tools? They might come up with some alternate routings for you (unless you must fly on AC metal). (ANA's tool is great for finding point-to-point availabilty on a particular route, but it's terrible at suggesting alternatives or coming up with connections.)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
As already said by others, AC is not good at releasing reward inventory and generally releases just a few seats per flight.

If you book in economy for a reward you might be offered a paid last minute upgrade at check in but can be rare on some routes. As M&M member there is no other way to upgrade unless space opens and you change your flight prior to departure.

You may want to consider Swiss flight from Zurich to Montreal. Swiss is much more likely to open up business or first prior to departure that AC and has good aircraft on that route.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Have you tried looking at award availability on LHR-YEG (operated 5x weekly IIRC). Availability in J is pretty decent on that route IMO even though AC only uses a 763. With an easy connection GVA-LHR this would be my first choice...

Otherwise there are plenty of 2 stop options like

GVA-ZRH-YYZ-YEG
GVA-MUC-YYZ-YEG
GVA-FRA-YYZ/YUL/YOW/YYC-YEG
GVA-LHR-YYZ/YUL/YOW/YYC/YVR-YEG
etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.