Should I stay or should I go?

Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Should I stay or should I go?

Advices needed from your perspective.

I have been AC E for almost a decade, with a small interlude (12 months)to P. My travel plans were calling for anywhere between 35-40K, hence me staying loyal to AP/AC

With the new rules for 2013, obviously things are going to change, and I've read the other thread discussing it. Since I have until February 5th to select my options with AP for 2012 and n order for me to make the right decision, I've built a spreadsheet with my upcoming trips for 2012 and this year it look likes I will go over 50K. So here's the division of those miles between Domestic, US and TATL, along with the number of segments :

Domestic : 11 000 and 20 segments
US : 17 500 and 22 segments
TATL : 24 000 and 9 segments

I will also do over 28 000 miles on AC metal, hence qualifying for that rule as well. The other miles are going to be earned on *A primarly UA and LH.

I'm tempted to stay with AC/AP, however, I'd like to hear what you guys are thinking of my tentative decision, with regards to what's other alternatives are available out there.

Domestic upgrades are of little value to me. Intercontinental and TATL upgrades are far more interesting to me and so is the lounge access, priority boarding and extra lugages.

So that's my situation in a nutshell. What would you recommend me to do with that situation?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:39 am

In your situation I would stay given that TATL upgrades are a priority, plus add on the lounge access and priority boarding. The program should work for you.

In my own situation, I am unlikely to get to 50k miles next year in any case, but will probably get over 35K, but most of my miles will be on UA with a few AC domestic. For TATL, I want as close to a guarantee of a J seat as I can get, which means the upgrade program as it currently operates is no good for me (especially now that the London/Europe Pass is so much more expensive). I'm switching to UA's program because I'll get E+. The lounges I can live without, so I'm ok there.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Of course the TATL is going to be subject to the Aerolotto, but no program can guaranteed upgrades on TATL on T+ and Lat fares anyway...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
You should stay Super Larry - I am in a similar position. Forrtunately, my compay pays for J on TATL and TPAC, but truly the lounge access is a must for me with the need to connect on almost every North American trip with 2+ hour waits. I will get my 5 or 10000, but almost the entire remaining amount is on UA metal. The downside for me is that before I could get Gold on DL as well as Elite before, but not anymore. Hoping that AE will allow us to roll over status miles in 2013, like DL does. Might get what I need then!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Super Larry
Of course the TATL is going to be subject to the Aerolotto, but no program can guaranteed upgrades on TATL on T+ and Lat fares anyway...
You can confirm your upgrades on Latitude fares at the time of booking. I have been buying the Europe pass, and before that the London Pass, for that reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.