Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hour and Ten Minutes YYZ to Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott

I have been sent a change of itinerary from Aeroplan to travel through Toronto that provides 70 minutes to land, get luggage, go through US customs, and board our new flight. Any chance I can do this connection with a wife and two kids in tow?

Even if I do not check any luggage (tough on an 11 day vacation), can I expect to make this connection?

My flights are YSJ - YYZ - LAX

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
not impossible, but very dependent on time of day and luggage... I've waited close to 70 minutes for bags on a bad day before...

NEXUS helps if you have it, as would time of departure - early morning or late afternoon (especially Thurs/Fri) can be painful.

I would be confident with NEXUS and no bags, but a lot of variables (weather not withstanding).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I've done it before in 50 mins at YYC.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AskTravis
not impossible, but very dependent on time of day and luggage... I've waited close to 70 minutes for bags on a bad day before...

NEXUS helps if you have it, as would time of departure - early morning or late afternoon (especially Thurs/Fri) can be painful.

I would be confident with NEXUS and no bags, but a lot of variables (weather not withstanding).
Given the OP probably doesnt have a nexus card for his kids, I would say the chances of this are under 50/50. I have done it in 30 min with no bags and nexus, but I have seen others be stuck in customs (at the top of the escalators!) and take 2+ hrs. to do the same thing. You might get lucky, but you would have to get lucky to do this with your family.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:42 pm

If all in Terminal 1, +80 % but time of day will impact.

Worst it's taken me is 45 mins, 2 of us and no Nexus at the time
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC*E, NEXUS
I did YVR-YYZ-LGA a year or so ago.

I don't recall the exact amount of time I had for a connection. I remember it being around 60 minutes or so.

Baggage took forever (even with a priority tag). I got to my gate just as they were boarding.

I should also note that I have Nexus and therefore didn't have to deal with any lines or custom agents. If I did, chances are I would have missed my flight.

I'm thinking it would be tight and you're really hoping that everything goes smooth adn there are no delays through the process.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:54 pm

my last one was YEG-YYZ-MCO red eye so early morning went fast

before that YEG-YYZ-LGA, Bags were the longest but only 10-15 mins waiting for them, mid afternoon

bag pickup and transfer seems to always be the hold up for any transborder flight.

I find customs moves pretty good unless you get a lot of vacation charters as they tend to be in big groups. mid morning, mid afternoon seems to be lightest
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Smile and ask for help at check-in and at customs.

Check-in agents can give you priority luggage tags if they like you.

Customs line wranglers are usually very sympathetic to families. A stroller has often had me ushered to the VIP queue.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I think that the YYZ TB MLL is better than the one in YUL/YYC though, so I would rebook just so I could have more time there.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE
Luggage will kill you on this one, I did same at YYZ on Dec 23 with carry-ons only and it was very fast, connecting passengers have their own section at US customs and there was no line. Other side of customs (non-connecting) was way backed up.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pstaples
Luggage will kill you on this one, I did same at YYZ on Dec 23 with carry-ons only and it was very fast, connecting passengers have their own section at US customs and there was no line. Other side of customs (non-connecting) was way backed up.
+1. I missed a connection by 5 minutes once because I had to recheck in luggage. Given the short connection (+ kids) and that Aeroplan sent you the notice, they should let you change your itinerary without fees.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
If you're on a through ticket you'll be fine because they'll put you on the next flight, assuming you're not on the last one of the day.

On the other hand you might want to call and make a longer connection. I hate rushing with the kids. It ruins things.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Just keep checking on the weather in your city and YYZ. That will depend on delays for sure and sit close to the front.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Thanks for all the great replies. AE would not change the flight, I may try again in a couple days to see if I get a different answer.

Looks like no checked luggage may be the answer. Could be a tight fit for everyone though ...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Thanks for all the great replies. AE would not change the flight, I may try again in a couple days to see if I get a different answer.

Looks like no checked luggage may be the answer. Could be a tight fit for everyone though ...
11 days vacation, with kids, NO checked luggage? How is that possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.