Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrading on AC007 YYZ to HKG. Not true direct :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff and when I called Air Canada they couldn't answer me.

I'm booked on AC007 YYZ to HKG and am waitlisted for an upgrade (did it at exactly 8am 4 days before flight). However, it's not a true direct flight as it stops in Vancouver.

When I check seat availability for buying first class tickets there are only 2 tickets left in 1st from YYZ to YVR but 7 left from YVR to HKG.

Now I'm assuming there are those who bought 1st class tickets for just the YYZ/YVR leg. However, does that mean that if YYZ-YVR is full but YVR-HKG is not full by the time I board, I am sent back to the bottom of the waitlist for upgrading the YVR-HKG leg?

They wouldn't let me waitlist that leg as well as my ticket is technically YYZ-HKG.

This will be so frustrating if there were seats available but I don't get it not because others waitlisted first but because of the short haul passengers

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:56 pm

Welcome to FT!

Unfortunately for you, this is a "true direct". You are getting the terms "direct" and "non-stop" mixed up.

• A non-stop flight is just that - it departs one city and arrives in another without stopping in other cities.
  • A direct flight is a flight with the same flight number from start to finish, but the flight can stop in intermediate cities along the way.

You might want to call AC to see if they can change your reservation to split your outbound and return into separate coupons for the YYZ-YVR and YVR-HKG legs. Most likely the agent won't be able/know how to do this for you. You might want to consider changing your flight to have a different flight to YVR and connect to AC007. Making changes may be expensive.

Unfortunately, if you don't get the upgrade by the time you leave YYZ, there is no way to waitlist for the upgrade at YVR. I recently had this experience myself on a different flight. You'll likely have to talk to the gate agent at YVR and explain the situation to see what they can do.

Hopefully your upgrade clears in YYZ so you don't have to worry about things. An unfortunate thing for you is that at the 48 hour mark all the people who have booked flight pass bookings (lat) can upgrade on the domestic leg into any open seat - your flight will be popular due to the pods.

Also, FYI - AC does not have "first" class, they have "business" class (although marketed as Executive First). There is a difference as many international airlines have economy, business and first class cabins.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Welcome to FT!
AC7 is a direct flight, but AC15 is a nonstop.
As previously suggested, you should take a different flight to YVR for better upgrade success and more miles.
If you are looking for first class, stay away from AC and go with CX.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:57 am

Well, this is my recent experience on AC7:

AC7 YYZ-HKG and AC7 YVR-HKG each have their own waitlists. Very often than not, AC7 YYZ-HKG is R0 and AC7 YVR-HKG is R+. If you are waitlisted on AC7 YYZ-HKG, you are stuck on that queue even though it may be R+ from YVR-HKG when your upgrade window opens. Lesson here is to split YYZ-HKG into YYZ-YVR, then YVR-HKG, then you can request upgrade separately.

On the day of departure, if you dont clear the YYZ-YVR segment, the waitlist priority is transferred from YYZ to YVR and you may still get your upgrade at YVR and thats what happened to me on my trip.

Good luck.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by YEG USER
You might want to call AC to see if they can change your reservation to split your outbound and return into separate coupons for the YYZ-YVR and YVR-HKG legs. Most likely the agent won't be able/know how to do this for you. You might want to consider changing your flight to have a different flight to YVR and connect to AC007. Making changes may be expensive.
in similar shoes to the OP but luckily the upgrade I requested for my dad cleared (thanks AC )

as my mom is traveling on the same flight on an J award ticket that was booked a while back i wasn't able to get them to sit behind each other (she's in 6A while I put my dad in 5D)

6D was open on the YYZ-YVR leg and i tried to call AC res to split it, but the response i got was that it wasn't possible and would require reticketing, i'm guessing it's probably doable to call in and book AC7 YYZ-YVR and AC7 YVR-HKG but just a hassle to change things now, guess i'll get my mom to ask the SD or see if 6D is traveling alone and willing to swap
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
If you split the reservation, does it require more e-upgrade credits or does the system know only to take 17 e-upgrade credits?

Originally Posted by avmca2050
Well, this is my recent experience on AC7:

AC7 YYZ-HKG and AC7 YVR-HKG each have their own waitlists. Very often than not, AC7 YYZ-HKG is R0 and AC7 YVR-HKG is R+. If you are waitlisted on AC7 YYZ-HKG, you are stuck on that queue even though it may be R+ from YVR-HKG when your upgrade window opens. Lesson here is to split YYZ-HKG into YYZ-YVR, then YVR-HKG, then you can request upgrade separately.

On the day of departure, if you dont clear the YYZ-YVR segment, the waitlist priority is transferred from YYZ to YVR and you may still get your upgrade at YVR and thats what happened to me on my trip.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Azreal
If you split the reservation, does it require more e-upgrade credits or does the system know only to take 17 e-upgrade credits?
As per Air Canada, 17 e-upgrade credits:

If you request an upgrade for an entire one-way itinerary that contains flight connections, you will be charged the lesser of:
* the number of credits required for an upgrade between your origin and destination,
or
* the sum of the number of credits required per flight segment.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...lculation.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.